Hairstyle Merry-Go-Round: Hood or Not?

Cheleigh

I was thinking about this last week. My (white female) coworker and I were discussing another coworker (black female). I was making a comment about something cute the black coworker had worn, and the other coworker made the comment "does she wear wigs sometimes, because her hairstyle is always changing?" My black coworker (we are all peers--mid-level management) has near collarbone relaxed hair, and she often adds one of several phony ponytails. Sometimes, she does wear a wig. Other times she wears her hair out. Basically, she changes up her hairstyle (but not hair color very often) at least once a week.

My white coworker didn't sound like it was unprofessional, but in glancing around my workplace, I have noticed that a percentage of the black women, even one in senior level managment, have the presto chango hair. None of the other women in my unit (my coworker and I are the only black ones in my unit) change up other than a hair cut or color.

In looking at it from my other coworker's position, I wondered if we are taken as seriously with the ever-revolving hair styles, or is it just a "black thing," and has no bearing to other coworkers or superiors? Do people look at the ever-changing look as too vain, or is that just attention to appearance?

I'm not sure. I've never worked with a lot of black coworkers so I've never had the experience. I don't even have friends that do the whole hair changing thing except for cuts and color like you said. I would think some people may be very interested, perhaps even envious to be able to change your hairstyle as often as your mood. Others might chalk it up to not understanding how to care for the hair type but still trying to make it look suitable for work.

Remember the flak Cynthia McKinney got about how the Capitol guards didn't recognize her because she frequently changes hair styles? Forget that she was one of just a handful of black women in Congress, none of whom resemble another. So there's your answer re. how our ever-changing 'dos are perceived by at least *some* white people.

Some may consider it as her paying attention to her appearance. Others may look at it as vanity. It depends on her character, and it depend on the person judging her.

Last edited:
I don't know. I once heard of a black man who complained that women who change their hair a lot probably have personality disorders!

I think it just depends on the perspective of the person. Most of the Caucasian women I know are really in awe of the fact that I can have a new look whenever I decide to.

TINKABELLE said:
Some may assume faultly that because her hair style changes, she is vain, insecure, pretentious, and any other description, when it may be that she is just trying to grow out her hair (some may consider that vain), or save time by putting on a wig or phony pony. Unfortunately, black women that like a variety of hairstyles are looked down upon, for stereotypical based reasons such as black women are flashy, too stylish, big spenders, competitive, insecure, have bad hair, are the only ones wearing weave, and any other deductions.

Some may consider it as her paying attention to her appearance. Others may look at it as vainity. It depends on her character, and it depend on the person judging her.

Most of the women with the multiple hair styles are admin, operators, timekeepers, etc. The highest ranking black female, our CFO, wears the same style everyday.

I honestly think I DO look at women with the multi styles as not being as serious about their career. :(

Back