Hair straightening pill?

Would you take a pill to change your hair texture to curlier or straighter?

• Yes! I'd be the first to try.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Yes, if the pill had long term studies & effects were reversible.

Votes: 58 33.7%
  • No way, no how.

Votes: 103 59.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lucea

Yes, it's appears to be on its way. Check out this article in the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...Curly-hair-gene-discovered-by-scientists.html

['Curly hair gene' discovered by scientists
A 'curly hair gene' has been discovered by scientists, paving the way for a pill that could perform the same function as hair straighteners.

Published: 10:29AM GMT 07 Dec 2009
The discovery will also make it possible to predict whether a baby will have straight or curly hair.
And the new information will also allow detectives to use DNA to produce more accurate efits of their suspects.]

[Prof Martin added: "This gene has been known for well over twenty years as being involved in hair production and it's a gene that sits in the sheath that's around hair roots."
It is thought that a variation in this gene may create an amino acid change which in turn influences the straightness or curliness of the hair.

Prof Martin reveals that it may now be possible to come up with treatments to make hair straighter as an alternative to heated hair-straighteners.
He said: "Potentially we can now develop new treatments to make hair curlier or straighter, rather than treating the hair directly.

"That is one angle we will be working on and which I will be discussing with a major cosmetic company in Paris in January.
]

Would you ladies take a pill that changed your hair texture? Imagine being able to change your babies hair before they were even born, like some do with sex now.

Wow. They've developed a pill to straighten hair? It reminds of the movie X-men where a vaccination was created to "cure" mutants. smh...

Heck no.

I won't even put a flat iron to my hair anymore. Going in and playing with the actual genes is freaky! :shocked:

What about side affects? :ohwell::perplexed Eh, not for me.

This is highly disturbing to me:nono::nono::nono:

My hair is not a problem that needs to resolved with a pill, I'd never take that.

I can seriously see black women buying this in droves:cry3:.....just sad.

Wow! It is increadilby ironic that a hypothetical thread was posted before about this very issue. And let's be for serious for 2 seconds. If 80% of black women (and women of other ethnicities) are already willing to endure 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd degree chemical burns for straight hair, marketing this pill should be as easy as offering water to somebody whose dying of thirst after spending 30 days in the Sahara desert

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=89465&highlight=would+you+take+pill+change

Yes, it's appears to be on its way. Check out this article in the Telegraph.

Would you ladies take a pill that changed your hair texture? Imagine being able to change your babies hair before they were even born, like some do with sex now.

Is this really possible ? :perplexed Where have I been:ohwell: To answer your question: NO, NO and NO .... can't be clearer:lachen:

Hmm, what about side effects?
I wouldn't take something so brand new....especially when I'm pregnant. Straight hair is awesome but not worth all that risk.
This seems to be based on European hair, I wonder if it would even work on our hair.

:sad: Sounds to me like a page out of a Nazi experiment. ... :evil: Let's get rid of all the curly hair people... Only straight haired people are good.

Why mess with your baby's genes? That doesn't even make sense.

People will go to the weirdest extremes for the sake of vanity. This stuff reminds me of Latisse.

Wow! It is increadilby ironic that a hypothetical thread was posted before about this very issue. And let's be for serious for 2 seconds. If 80% of black women (and women of other ethnicities) are already willing to endure 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd degree chemical burns for straight hair, marketing this pill should be as easy as offering water to somebody whose dying of thirst after spending 30 days in the Sahara desert

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=89465&highlight=would+you+take+pill+change

It was different when it was a hypothetical question. :lachen: We all have something we'd change about our bodies. That's human nature.

I would not touch anything like that with a 10 foot pole in real life.

Shoo... what if instead of growing some straight hair you start growing some cancer? :nono:

I know it sounds off the hook right? How much you wanna bet the "company in Paris" is good ol' L'Oreal?

Waits to see who drops dead first. :lachen:

:lachen: I know right?

Still I can see people trying it, especially if they said it had no side effects. Just to play devil's advocate - what if it were "safer" than a relaxer?

Hmm, what about side effects?
I wouldn't take something so brand new....especially when I'm pregnant. Straight hair is awesome but not worth all that risk.
This seems to be based on European hair, I wonder if it would even work on our hair.

I was wondering the same thing. It might even be a different gene for those w/afro-textured hair.

:sad: Sounds to me like a page out of a Nazi experiment. ... :evil: Let's get rid of all the curly hair people... Only straight haired people are good.

Why mess with your baby's genes? That doesn't even make sense.

People will go to the weirdest extremes for the sake of vanity. This stuff reminds me of Latisse.

Latisse had me scared, too. One of the side effects is blindness! Silk amino acids and castor oil all the way baby.

Don't birth control pills kinda do the same thing, but the results aren't as dramatic? I read somewhere that hormones can affect your curl pattern too?

Meh, I may be tempted to try it if it became available to the public as "safe"...hmm...

Knew we'd have a brave LHCFer who would be willing to take one for team!

How is that so :huh:? Seriously, I mean that as a genuine question. Okay, so you don't like your kinky hair for whatever reason? Now there is a presumably affordable option for you to change it. I'm sure if plastic surgery were more affordable and easily accessible, many more people would be going under the knife as well.

It was different when it was a hypothetical question. :lachen: We all have something we'd change about our bodies. That's human nature.

I would not touch anything like that with a 10 foot pole in real life.

Shoo... what if instead of growing some straight hair you start growing some cancer? :nono:

Last edited:
I hope this same energy is put to curing diabetes or sickle cell.

This may be the wave of the future, but messing with dna still freaks me out a little.

Uhhhh....no way would I EVER take that pill!

You might wake up with a mustash, beard and a gold-tee on your CHEST!!! NOT sessy at all!!!!

No way!

How is that so :huh:? Seriously, I mean that as a genuine question. Okay, so you don't like your kinky hair for whatever reason? Now there is a presumably affordable option for you to change it. I'm sure if plastic surgery were more affordable and easily accessible, many more people would be going under the knife as well.

You don't think that medication that interferes with your DNA could have some very bad side affects? Especially a new drug? :huh:

I feel that people that go under the knife uneccessarily are literally risking their lives. Any doctor would agree. My life is not worth some boob implants. lol Even if it's a small chance.

Look at what happened to Kanye's mother and probably many more people. There is always a risk!

I'm just saying what I would do and why. Anyone else to can go do whatever they want to their body too! :)

I understand what your saying. But I was simply responding to the fact that you said "it's different when it was a hypothetical question" . Seeing as people already go to extreme lengths to conform to social beauty standards, it doesn't seem that implausible that people would take the pill.

You don't think that medication that interferes with your DNA could have some very bad side affects? Especially a new drug? :huh:

I feel that people that go under the knife uneccessarily are literally risking their lives. Any doctor would agree. My life is not worth some boob implants. lol Even if it's a small chance.

Look at what happened to Kanye's mother and probably many more people. There is always a risk!

I'm just saying what I would do and why. Anyone else to can go do whatever they want to their body too! :)

Hey, I'm saying, I understand everyone wants to express that they're proud of what they're born with and wouldn't change it for anything in world, but you gotta admit....ya'll would be curious to try it too. :rolleyes:

And the thread I linked proved that. More than half (~62% percent would be at least willing to try the pill. ~40% would most definitely take it). Stats don't lie, but many people could've had a change of heart :drunk:

Hey, I'm saying, I understand everyone wants to express that they're proud of what they're born with and wouldn't change it for anything in world, but you gotta admit....ya'll would be curious to try it too. :rolleyes:

Not gonna deny that. :lachen:

Curiosity is one of my worst weaknesses, but I don't think stuff like that is worth taking the risk...

I understand what your saying. But I was simply responding to the fact that you said "it's different when it was a hypothetical question" . Seeing as people already go to extreme lengths to conform to social beauty standards, it doesn't seem that implausible that people would take the pill.

True. It's scary. but for me this is the most extreme way to get straight hair that I have heard of. :shocked:

I've added a poll so we can get really get down to brass tacks. :grin::grin:

Note the question is whether you would change your texture - making it more textured or straighter... I know some people want kinkier hair.

Back