Hair Myths and Legends!

Nice & Wavy

When I read this, I laughed...but, who knows...maybe it will work for shiner hair:look:

Eating Bread Crusts Will Make Your Hair Curly (NOT):lachen:
Diet cannot make your hair curly (or straight, in my case). The bread crust myth is thought to have originated in Europe about 300 years ago, when many people lived on the brink of starvation. Curly hair was seen as a symbol of health and prosperity, as well as an indicator of youth. Those who had enough to eat (including bread) were generally healthier, so bread became associated with healthy, curly hair.

Crusts actually tend to be the most nutrient-dense and healthful parts of bread. They contain more fiber and antioxidants than the rest of the loaf, so while eating them might not give you ringlets, it might make your hair shine a little brighter.

Beer Adds Shine and Body to Hair
True: Warm flat beer in a spray bottle is a great setting lotion that adds shine. The scent of beer dissipates as the hair dries, leaving you with a smooth and glossy finish. Now this doesn’t mean the next time you’re in a bar you should douse yourself -- intentionally --with Bud Light.

What say you?:look::grin:

I just read about the beer one on a ayurveda site. Who's going first?:look:
You....:lachen:

We should start a bandwagon for this one....:grin:...I can see us now, going to all the beer stores asking for their flat beer and how much we can get for a case:lachen:

I know about the beer. Many of the naturalist books I own talk about beer. My grand mother used beer on her hair.

Bread?

Nah.

I just read about the beer one on a ayurveda site. Who's going first?:look:

Who ever would do something as ridiculous as that? Wash their hair in beer for shine?
Damn

In answer to your Q, ME. Which beer is best?????:sekret:

I've always loved bread crusts--it's the best part!

Interesting how curly hair used to be a status symbol in Europe. Nowadays, curly hair is seen very differently. Oh how times change!

Brushing your hair many times (legend has it that 100 is the magic number) before bed will make it long and healthy.

This might work for straight-haired Asian and White women (brush strokes can actually help distribute sebum along the hair shaft, which is great for softness, shine, and preventing breakage), but as fragile as African hair is and as little sebum as the typical African-descended scalp produces, any black woman who follows this advice will be bald for a very long time. :giggle:

Last edited:
Brushing your hair many times (legend has it that 100 is the magic number) before bed will make it long and healthy.
This might work for straight-haired Asian and White women (brush strokes can actually help distribute sebum along the hair shaft, which is great for softness, shine, and preventing breakage), but as fragile as African hair is and as little sebum as the typical African-descended scalp produces, any black woman who follows this advice will be bald for a very long time. :giggle:
Ain't that the truth!!! :lachen:

BTW, I love your siggy! That's how I am with pm's too. I should put a disclaimer in my sig as well. I'm so bad :perplexed

This might work for straight-haired Asian and White women (brush strokes can actually help distribute sebum along the hair shaft, which is great for softness, shine, and preventing breakage), but as fragile as African hair is and as little sebum as the typical African-descended scalp produces,
any black woman who follows this advice will be bald for a very long time.
:giggle:
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Who blabbed??? :sekret:
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

If you cut your hair or pull strands out of your comb or brush you have to burn the hair otherwise birds will use it in their nests and give you a headache

I think it's the hops in the beer that give the shine.
You could just cut out the middle man and make a hops mix or something.

The bread crust thing...I think not.

If you cut your hair or pull strands out of your comb or brush you have to burn the hair otherwise birds will use it in their nests and give you a headache
What?:lachen::lachen::lachen:...who came up with that one???:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I think it's the hops in the beer that give the shine.
You could just cut out the middle man and make a hops mix or something.

The bread crust thing...I think not.
Give me the bread crust...yummy:lick:, especially when its toasted:lick:

Who ever would do something as ridiculous as that? Wash their hair in beer for shine?
Damn

In answer to your Q, ME. Which beer is best?????:sekret:

ME, lol, I have actually rinsed my hair with beer many times after conditioning, and I started this way before LHCF. It makes detangling a breeze and leaves my hair soft and shiny

Back