Hair hump?

queenofmean68

I feel like I've been at the same length FOREVER! *sigh* Right now my hair is past the shoulders--about 4 inches from bra strap length. And that's where I'm stuck!
mad.gif

Has anyone else been at a point where they felt like they weren't making any progress?
frown.gif

Any suggestions on how to get past this hump?
huh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
queenofmean68 said:
I feel like I've been at the same length FOREVER! *sigh* Right now my hair is past the shoulders--about 4 inches from bra strap length. And that's where I'm stuck!
mad.gif

Has anyone else been at a point where they felt like they weren't making any progress?
frown.gif

Any suggestions on how to get past this hump?
huh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That happened to me too, once, hump hater...

My hair was just a couple of inches past my shoulders. Hair didn't seem to be growing at all, but then all of a sudden, out of nowhere, it started growing, and it's been growing steadily.

What I concluded is that my hair was waiting to see if I was going to trim it off, or if I wanted it to grow. I know, sounds crazy, but I think hair does have a "mind" of it's own.

The worse thing you can do right now is to trim it. Don't touch it and once it realizes you're not cutting it, it'll start to grow again.

You ever notice when a person cuts their hair repeatedly, like in a style, for example? Eventually, the hair figures out you don't want it long, so it grows slower.

Watch and see!
cool.gif

Buckle Down!

Absolutely no heat until you visibly see at least another inch of length. Not wearing protective styles is NOT an option right now. Put something on those ends at least once a day.

Be picky about your shampoos--no stripping ingredients whatsoever unless your hair becomes too dull to deal--then you should clarify it and follow it up with an extremely moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.

If you start to see long strands shedding more than the usual--get a protein conditioner into that hair.

Any questions?

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
Buckle Down!

Absolutely no heat until you visibly see at least another inch of length. Not wearing protective styles is NOT an option right now. Put something on those ends at least once a day.

Be picky about your shampoos--no stripping ingredients whatsoever unless your hair becomes too dull to deal--then you should clarify it and follow it up with an extremely moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.

If you start to see long strands shedding more than the usual--get a protein conditioner into that hair.

Any questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

No! Heehee!

That was great, and I'm sure more helpful than my "hair mind" theory! LOL!

laugh.gif

Have you joined the protein challenge? Do you take MSM & vitC or Biotin & vitB5? Gagging down MORE supplements twice a day will distract you from the hump. Hide your hair in buns from now til Nebuary with us faithful bun challengers. I'm always surprised at how long my hair looks down after extended bunning.

Don't laugh -- I'm doing all of the above.

But seriously, STOP monitoring the length. Take photos periodically to document your progress, but ignore length during everyday care.

Blossom,

Yours is good too! I sure wouldn't trim it if I were her
nono.gif

Now,

Isn't it about time for you to go home...
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
Blossom,

Yours is good too! I sure wouldn't trim it if I were her
nono.gif

Now,

Isn't it about time for you to go home...
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck yea!

I feel like I've been here 24 hours. It's been a very long day for me...

And it'll will be dark when I leave too!
shocked.gif
(

I agree with what everyone said, including about the "hair mind" theory.
smile.gif

I believe all of our cells have "memory" and that includes hair cells, the living cluster of cells at the bottom of each hair follicle that produce new ones at the root which causes our hair to grow longer. When we have particular thoughts and actions that are repeated, it gets "imprinted" in our cellular memory. There is a lot of scientific research about this that is fascinating.
bookworm.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:

smile.gif

I believe all of our cells have "memory" and that includes hair cells, the living cluster of cells at the bottom of each hair follicle that produce new ones at the root which causes our hair to grow longer. When we have particular thoughts and actions that are repeated, it gets "imprinted" in our cellular memory. There is a lot of scientific
research about this that is fascinating.
bookworm.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

For real!? So I'm not 100% koo-koo!
smile.gif

No, I'm not active in the protein challenge. How much protein are you eating/taking? Any issues with weight gain?
Lawd! I don't know if I can CHOKE down any more supplements. So for right now I will stick to what I am currently taking. I guess I should keep out of the mirror!
ohwell.gif

Now that it is getting colder I will be keeping my hair up, from all of the elements---dry air, cold wind, and my wool coats. I just want to see progress quickly like some of the other ladies have on this board.

I definately found it hard to get over my hair hump. It was a long uphill battle. I think protective syles, consistency, and MOISTURE MOISTURE MOISTURE are key. I also like the sound of the not cutting thing!

[ QUOTE ]
DatJerseyDyme said:
I definately found it hard to get over my hair hump. It was a long uphill battle. I think protective syles, consistency, and MOISTURE MOISTURE MOISTURE are key. I also like the sound of the not cutting thing!

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't cut my hair for about a year, and now I trim it every 6 months
smile.gif

I'm at my hair's usual pre-determined stopping point and that's why I got braids I want to encourage my hair to grow and keeping it tucked away (buns aren't an option since I'm a member of the big-head club) will definitely help me get over this hurdle.

Like Isis said I also think it's a mental battle if you feel like your hair "can't" grow anymore it can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. I know that this is the biggest hurdle in my personal hair growth struggles, the mental aspect of knowing that my hair can be long ans healthy!
smile.gif

Dang Miss K! You are on it today. I was totally gonna say that you(in the collective sense) should believe that your hair can grow.

I'm at this hump. I am 4 or 5 inches away from brastrap and it seems to be taking its time. I haven't been taking my vitamins because I'm trying to stretch them out because I don't have money to buy more right now. My hair just seems to stay this length. I hate it!

Yes, I'm definitely at a hair hump right now!! I'm about 3 inches from brastrap in the back and I would be closer now if my stylist hadn't chopped about an inch off at my last touchup!!
mad.gif

My next one is scheduled for December, and I'm REALLY tempted not to let him trim my hair AT ALL until the following touch-up, which will be April...
scratchchin.gif
I think that's about the ONLY way I'm gonna see any growth!!!
ohwell.gif

I am also about 3 inches from bottom of bra-strap length and I told my stylist not to trim my ends at all at my last touch up. Trimming after every touch up made me have the same length for a few years ! Less frequent trims are a must for me to accumulate some growth.

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:

smile.gif

I believe all of our cells have "memory" and that includes hair cells, the living cluster of cells at the bottom of each hair follicle that produce new ones at the root which causes our hair to grow longer. When we have particular thoughts and actions that are repeated, it gets "imprinted" in our cellular memory. There is a lot of scientific research about this that is fascinating.
bookworm.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it! And I love to read too, so off I go to do some research! Thanks!
smile.gif

I know the feeling, girl. I am about 2 inches from my bra strap goal. I am going into the 4th week post relaxer and I hardly have any new growth. I don't know what happened.
frown.gif

Lil Chanel,

You are probably taking such good care of your hair that your new growth is so moisturized (soft) and manageable that it's not even noticeable at 4 weeks
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
Lil Chanel,

You are probably taking such good care of your hair that your new growth is so moisturized (soft) and manageable that it's not even noticeable at 4 weeks
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you're right. Never thought about it that way...I just figured my hair didn't want to grow anymore...LOL
laugh.gif

I agree with waiting it out and leaving it alone. My hair did this to me about two months ago and then BAM! *smirking*

Back