Hair grease or Hair oil? Which one do u use?

Candi

Hello all,

I was told that hair grease is not really good for your hair and that you should really use hair oil ie., carrot or some organic type...
confused.gif
Any feed back on this from anyone?
I must admit I did use carrot oil on my daughters and my hair last night and I noticed for my daughter who does not have a perm-she is only 7 her hair was much easier to comb and as for mine it looks a whole lot better than it normally does after using the carrot oil. It does not look or feel as dry.
ohwell.gif

I tried only using oil on my scalp, but it irritated my scalp horrendously. Back to grease (African Pride castor oil) and I don't have the monster flakes.

I don't use anything with mineral oil/petroleum/petrolatum anymore. I use oils and butters. I don't put any product at all specifically on my scalp.
nono.gif

The idea that hair "grease" isn't good for the hair comes from the fact that most greases contain petrolatum or mineral oil, which can clog pores and hinder growth. Some people still use them on their hair and avoid using them on the scalp to prevent this. Everyone's hair is different so I think it's best to use what is working for you.

I used "grease" until I discovered this site and realized what my other options were. Now I use oils and leave-in's. The main problems I had with hair greases is that they tend to feel greasy and they caused breakouts on my back and forehead
thumbsdown.gif
-- most likely because of the mineral oil and petrolatum.

I use grease when my hair is in braids, I use it on the hair thats not on my scalp to keep it moisturized. I use it on my scalp every once in a blue moon. (Blue Magic Coconut Oil)

I switch up. In the winter I need something heavier, I use Hollywood Beauty's castor oil. Its kinda like grease. Right now I am using African Pride's hot oil six.

Oil...

Hair grease has petroleum n mineral oil... all of which attract dust and dirt to the hair, clog the pores, and dont allow ur hair 2 breathe n/or grow.... oil works 4 my scalp, especially Tea Tree oil from Parnevu. If it dont work 4 u den i suggest leave-in conditioners n hot oil treatments.

I use Ultra Sheen Hairdress with Tea Tree Oil and i also really like Kemi Oyl (This stuff leaves my hair feeling sooooo soft) As well as the Elasta QP Oil Moisturizer. I think grease and oils may just be a preference and may not be for everyone. -- jainygirl

[ QUOTE ]
deeplyrooted said:
I don't use anything with mineral oil/petroleum/petrolatum anymore. I use oils and butters. I don't put any product at all specifically on my scalp.
nono.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.
smile.gif

I use both grease and oil
smile.gif
and I don't have any problems with growth. I use Softee & Blue Magic grease for my scalp and WGO & Doo Gro Oil for my hair and scalp. In the past I've also used ORS Dry Scalp Oil which doesn't contain any mineral or petroleum oil.

Different things work for different people. Because of all of the talk against hair grease, I tried the butters and oils. In my experience:

* Kemi oyl attracted more dirt than hair grease ever did.
* Mango butter didn't do anything but make my hair feel mushy.
* Shea butter made my hair stink like a refinery, and I didn't notice any benefits to speak of.

So I'm done looking for alternatives and have gone back to hair grease, since I never had any problems with it to begin with.

But, again, different things work for different people. You just have to figure out what works for you!

I use ORS No More Flakes grease on my scalp, but it's not a heavy grease it's more like a cream. African Pride hot six oil and Proclaim Glossing Polish(which is a oil) throughout the rest of my hair.

I use grease, but have been using oils lately, sometimes the oils do not provide enought moisture for my scalp, so I do end up using hair grease, but I only use Hairobics All Natural, the only oil I find that moisturizes well is WGO, which I have mixed with Amla and Brahmi Oils. Do what works for you, some people abhor using grease, but it works for my hair....

[ QUOTE ]
Nay said:
Different things work for different people. Because of all of the talk against hair grease, I tried the butters and oils. In my experience:

* Kemi oyl attracted more dirt than hair grease ever did.
* Mango butter didn't do anything but make my hair feel mushy.
* Shea butter made my hair stink like a refinery, and I didn't notice any benefits to speak of.

So I'm done looking for alternatives and have gone back to hair grease, since I never had any problems with it to begin with.

But, again, different things work for different people. You just have to figure out what works for you!

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur, Nay.

northernbelle

I have a dry scalp so I have to use oil usally castor or Lotion Motion #9 and I use Profectiv Roothealth to soften my newgrowth.

I'd recommend Nature's Blessings Pomade if you want to stick to a product with better ingredients than traditional hair grease

I used pink oil for many years and now I can't stand the feel, smell or sight of it! I can't believe I put that in my hair...it feels yucky and sticky. I remember when I decided to stop using it, it took about 3-4 washes before my hair was clean and since then I have never used it again.

Nowadays I only use pure oils, like olive oil, jojoba oil or shea oil.

I tried using shea butter, but it feels drying. The best thing for me is to put olive oil in damp/wet hair. I never put anything on my scalp.

never had problems with grease, and i really loved my grease

its just that when i discoverd the oils and butters i loved them even more than the grease...dont even need the grease anymore, and the butters and oils are so much more healthy IMO!!

Re: Hair grease or Hair oil? Which one do u use?

Yeah, Profectiv cremes work great on my scalp too, to the point I don't need grease when I use them regularly.
smile.gif
The problem is those little tubs are rather expensive.
laugh.gif
And I use it up in just a few uses. I loved using the Profectiv Mega-Growth on my scalp....
scratchchin.gif

I use coconut & olive oil. My hair likes it much better then any of the others. I also use ORS shea butter moisturizer on my ends sometimes. The only thing negative about that product is that it builds up after a few days. But, no greases and no products with mineral oil or petroleum in them.

I used to use grease and never had a problem with it. I stopped using grease, oils, and butters about 7 months ago and am never going back! I only use serums (Biosilk Silk Therepy). I found that any oil or butter is entirely to heavy for my hair.

[ QUOTE ]
Nay said:
Different things work for different people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I used to get huge flakes and terrible itchies whenever I used hair grease. I only use hair oil for my dry scalp.

But for my daughter, I have to use hair grease on her dry scalp because hair oil does nothing. And as for my mother, she can use hair oil or grease probably once a week, and her scalp would be alright.

i use both i just switch out everytime i wash my hair, btu i my aunt loves baby oil. i hate it because it never soaks in my hair

Back