HAIR CARE MINIMALISTS

Triniwegian

I wanted to see what kind of products/techniques you have been able to narrow your hair routine down to.

I thought I was a "less is more" kinda girl but I have been able to narrow down my routine to 4 products, and my hair has never been happier and I believe this routine will be instrumental in me reaching my WL goal.

My staples are:

Conditioner: Yes to Cucumbers
Moisturizers/sealants: Coconut Oil and Hemp Seed butter
Shampoo: Pure Castile soap

because I have been able to eliminate synthetic ingredients my hair has made a 180 turn for the better, and most significantly; I only shampoo every 4-6 weeks, since natural products don't leave as much build-up my co-washes keeps my hair clean.

My staple hair styles is either a bun, which I slick down and moisturize with my hemp Seed Butter.

or

A braid-out where I braid 7-8 big braids in the shower under running water, no product. The only product I use when I unravel the braids is coconut oil.
I have also eliminated ALL heat.

Please share your minimalist routine.

i agree my hair is happier with less products.i like grease though. it is the ultimate styler for me. natural butters do not give me the shine or hold that petroleum products do.

I dont know if i count as minimalist but i've whittled down my regimen and products to as little as possible for my hair and styling needs.

Shampoo:anything i have lying about
conditioner:Mane n Tail original + deep moisturizing
protein treatment:Ultrasheen Duo Tex
Grease: apex pressing oil +murrays pomade
Heat protector: Creme of nature argan oil polisher or nioxin thermal bliss(im testing this out now)

-wash 1-2 times a month
-detangle and deep treat on wash days
-usually wear straight for 3 weeks and then natural for one week.currently i am not straightening for a while.
-my hair is in a bun,braid or ponytail most of the time. i like my hair up and out of the way.i usually let it down on sunday.
-now i take down my bun nightly and redo in the morning. i usually kept it in 24/7 until i realized that is what was causing hairline breakage.

shea butter, African black soap, grapeseed, evco, co, what is left of my waning pj phase thrown together for use as a deep conditioner until it is all gone, henna, aloe vera gel/juice

wash, dc once a week, will henna once per month. Air dry. Wig or french roll. Moisterize with aloe, seal with whipped shea butter mix.

I seem to be getting along better with my hair as I make my routine more simple.

Shampoo: Some sulfate free stuff I bought from Target 3 years ago on clearance
Conditioner: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
Moisturizer: World of Curls Curl Activator Gel+FOTE Aloe Vera Gel with Naturals
Detangle/prepoo with: coconut oil/olive oil

These are my staples that I use consistently. Now, I do add stuff to this list occasionally because I have a lot of crap that I am trying to get rid of...

Usual Routine: Wash hair, condition, twist up, wear for 2-3 weeks on average, repeat.
That's it. Been doing this for years now with an occasional braid out or twist out here and there. For years I have been wearing protective styles about 90% of the month. I'm too lazy.

shea butter, African black soap, grapeseed, evco, co, what is left of my waning pj phase thrown together for use as a deep conditioner until it is all gone, henna, aloe vera gel/juice

wash, dc once a week, will henna once per month. Air dry. Wig or french roll. Moisterize with aloe, seal with whipped shea butter mix.

I seem to be getting along better with my hair as I make my routine more simple.

Whenever I used to hear people say "I do what my hair tells me to do" I went into :rolleyes: mode.
But it is so true. Once you stop trying to force your hair to do certain things it becomes so much more agreeable.

Shampoo:Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
conditioner:Trader Joe's Nourish Conditioner for reg conditioning, Giovanni for leave-in, or ORS + olive oil for dcing
Moisturizers/Sealants: homemade whipped shea butter, coconut oil, almond oil mix

Go to styles are a bun or some type of twist set.

No set timetable or regimen.

I hope to one day have a minimalist routine. I find the longer my hair gets the less I do to it.

Wait...so OP, you don't deep condition?

My staple hair styles is either a bun, which I slick down and moisturize with my hemp Seed Butter.

or

A braid-out where I braid 7-8 big braids in the shower under running water, no product. The only product I use when I unravel the braids is coconut oil.
I have also eliminated ALL heat.

I love this routine! And the bun in your avi is :lick:
I can't wait until I get enough length to pare down my regi to something like this (my buns are currently anorexic and I want to be able to just braid mine into 2 braids at night, neither of which I can do at my current length). I would probably add a water-based leave-in to mine, but I want to get to this point too. I'd love to truly keep it simple.
I'm hoping to use a modified tightly curly method next year.
Bumping for more inspiration.

Here's mine....

Conditioner: Currently in love with Tresseme Naturals
Moisturizers/sealants: Avocado oil and my new fave Argan oil
Shampoo: Kinky Curly Come Clean shampoo
Deep conditioner: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose or my own mixture
Other: I do an Amla treatment at least once a month

I co-wash + deep condition my hair once a week and then rollerset
If my hair isn't rollerset, I wash it and put it up in a bun or curly ponytail

That's pretty much it.

Shampoo: Only when needed with whatever I have in my stash
Cowash: Tresemme Naturals condish
Leave in: Giovanni Direct
Seal: whatever whipped butter I have on hand with a little Qhemet Olive & Honey balm :love:

That's it. I experiment with different products, but my steps stay the same. I don't have the patience for a 8-step wash regimen when I know I have to spend an hour + to twist my hair.

I wear my hair in twists for a few days and then twist out for the weekend.

ETA: I started DCing less out of laziness, but noticed that my hair was no different. So I just dc now when I feel like it. Been doing that for a couple of months with no problem.

Last edited:
Conditioner: Mane n' Tail
Moisturizers/sealants: Conditioner/Coconut Oil/Hot Six Oil
Shampoo: none
Deep conditioner: Motions Reconstructor

I usually baggie w/ my DC the night before and co-wash in the morning (twice a week).
Smooth into a banana clip daily, (only comb on weekends---no brushing)

I am a minimalist too:

shampoo: I use bentonite clay about once a month
conditioner: suave coconut (I co-wash every other day)
deep conditioner: Nexxus Keraphix every other week
coconut oil when I twist or braid, and Eco styler gel when I wash and go

I hope to one day have a minimalist routine. I find the longer my hair gets the less I do to it.

Wait...so OP, you don't deep condition?

No, I don't feel like i need it. I have been tempted to make a herbal rinse to use after wash day but I'll probably never do it..i am just too lazy.

I'm a minimalist too. Putting the least effort for the most gain. lol

Shampoo: Nizoral Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
Conditioner: Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Conditioner (I think, it's the purple one.)
Moisturizer: Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream and Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm
Grease: Qhemet Biologics Amla Nourishing Pomade
Oils: Coconut oil or olive oil
Still looking for a good deep conditioner. I also have QB's Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee and the Moringa Tree Conditioning Ghee. Still trying to figure out how I want to use them or if I even need them. The MTCG is good a light mid-week moisturizer.

I do a pre-treatment, wash, condition, moisturize/seal and detangle 1x a week - trying to stretch this to 2x a month. I braid my hair into cornrows and wear a wig when I go out. I keep my hair moisturized in-between washes by spritzing it with water and applying a light moisturizer with a little oil to seal.

Shampoo: currently - GVP Nexxus Moisturizing Shampoo (only when I change conditioners)
DC: Silk Elements MegaSilk Mega Moisture (1 - 2x/week)
Co-Wash: currently - Yes to Tomatoes (my hair hates this as a "conditioner" and leave-in)
Leave-in Conditioner: currently - BioInfusion Smoothing Conditioner (WOW! my first time trying this. It's fantastic!)
Moisturizer: currently - BioInfusion Smoothing Conditioner diluted in spray bottle w/water (1:3)
Oils: Coconut oil mixed w/Wheat Germ & Hemp Seed Oils

Whatever conditioner I use, is also used as a leave-in. If I hate it as a leave-in, I will use it to co-wash. My goal is to use one conditoner as a co-wash, leave-in & moisturizer. When my conditioner runs out, I'll try something new, if there is something on my "to try" list. Otherwise, my staple conditioner is GVP Nexxus Humectress - works great as a co-wash, leave-in & mositurizer.

I consider myself a minimalist, but some may disagree lol

Conditioner: VO5 MM or Garnier Fructis
Moisturizers/sealants: Tahlid Wajid & SheaMoisture Restorative/WGO mixed with castor oil
Shampoo: once a month with any clarifying poo
Others: Henna once/month, DC once/week

Cornrows under wigs are my PS until the summer, which makes things super easy for me.

Shampoo : Rhassoul Clay (once a month)
Treatment : Ayurvedic paste (weekly)
Moisturizer : Homemade water-based.
Sealant : Homemade mix of cocoa/shea butter.

And my hair is under my wig all day.

That's all :rolleyes:

I like simple too :yep:

Shampoo: Head and Shoulders Hydrating
Conditioner: Head and Shoulders Hydrating
Moisture: Usually I don't bother :blush: however just started to use MN, so I "cut" it with Keracare essential oils to dilute.

That's it... If I think I need more to promote growth, then I'll research and add. I'm of the opinion that if I'm using lots of products and something goes wrong, it's much harder to find he cause than if you're only using 2-3 things.

usual routine: cowash-n-go daily, natural hair styled into bun, loose pony, or completely loose

1. Conditioner: Suave Tropical Coconut - daily
2. Deep Conditioner: Aubrey GPB - monthly
3. Shampoo: no particular brand - monthly
4. Oil: GroHealthy Growth Oil - daily (this is my CRACK! :lol: )
5. Gel: Fantasia Frizz Buster Straightening Gel - daily

This list along with my wide tooth comb is my haircare foundation. Except for the oil, I've been using these products for 7+ years. I will sometimes substitute a product if a bandwagon looks interesting but I always come back home. :yep: I haven't noticed any ill effects from my almost daily usage of the gel.

Shampoo: Silk Elements MegaSilk (bi-weekly)
Conditioner (used for DC & Co Wash): alternate Silk Elements Mega Moisture or ORS Mayo (3x week)
Moisturizer: Original S-Curl and WGO
Daily style: Wigs until August

Shampoo: Soft sheen carson optimum repair
Coditioner: Aussie moist
Deep conditioner: Soft sheen carson optimum repair
Protein treatment: Soft sheen carson optimum repair
Leave in: Soft sheen carson optimum repair
Moisturizer: Shea butter
Daily style: bun or wash and go

I wash my hair with shampoo once a week and then deep condition and use the reconstructor. I may cowash during the week if I mood hits me. I only moisturize when I wash so that could be 1-2 times per week.

Shampoo: Giovanni 50/50
DC conditioner: AO HSR
Cowash conditioner: Yes to Cucumbers
Leave-in: Giovanni DLI
Oil: EVOO

Other: Finger-detangle, no comb ever...!!!

Hairstyle: Kimmaytube's wash, tuck and pin with twistout bangs

I hope to have a minimalist routine one day. I'm getting there but then I decide to add a prepoo, or decide I need an inch a month so I mix up my own sulfur mix, which I am too lazy too apply. I can't wait until I can bun my own hair. When that day comes I'll probably wash/cowash, add coconut oil, bun and go!:yep:

I have noticed that I don't need to deep condition every week, so I think I will try a minimalist routine with what products I currently have, and then I shall see.

This week I plan to blow dry and dust, but next week I will do a spring experiment and see how it goes.

Shampoo every 4 weeks, Do the whole routine (pre-poo, shampoo, DC, add leave-in, and oil)
All non-shampoo weeks:
Condition at least three times a week (since I exercise 5 days a week)
Apply butter as leave-in and as necessary throughout the week

Shampoo: Matrix Biolage Colorcaretherapie Delicate Care Shampoo
Conditioner: Aubry Organics White Camellia
Oil: Hemp Butter, Hemp Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Jamaican Coconut Black Castor Grapeseed Oil (these go in my DC and I use them as my pre-poo)

I am bunning 5 days a week right now and styling my hair into something more (braid outs, twists outs, etc) on the weekends.

Last edited:
My regimen now that I have bc'd is extremely minimalistic.
shampoo: ORS creamy aloe shampoo
conditioner: Tresemme Moisture Rich conditioner
DC: Dark and Lovely Ultra Cholesterol Treatment
Oil/Moisturiser: Castor Oil

-Cowash daily
-Shampoo 1x week
-DC- 1x wk
-Oil daily

Cowash every 7-14 days with Conditioner.

Scalp wash 2x a month with Shampoo.

Styling products--Long aid Curl Activator gel or Aloe Vera Gel. Oils--Coconut, jojoba, castor, EVOO.

I'm hair lazy, I straighten my hair and try to make it last as long as possible.. Shampoo and DC every 7-10 days. "Moisturize" my hair with KBB Butter love once in awhile... comb hair down and wrap it back up at night

Shampoo: Suave Shea butter and almond
conditioner: Suave Shea butter and almond or Lustrasilk (only DC conditioner I have)
protein treatment: Egg + Suave
Heat protector: Chi Silk infusion
leave in: HE LTR + Chi keratin

I want to minimize (& use more natural/organic products) even more than this next year, but for this year:

Shampoo: Jason's Natural Biotin Shampoo
Conditioner: Suave Professionals Almond & Shea Butter
DC: Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholestrol
Oil: Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- I use distilled water to wet my hair

Routine: Wash/Hand Detangle/Condish once a week. Bun it up every day with hair pins.

Last edited:
Wash and DC every 3-4 weeks: Kera Care Moisturizing shampoo, Humecto conditioner. Occasionally I use Yes to Carrots if Im bored.

Protein: Not too often but I use the Kera Care Super reconstructor on the same day I wash my hair. Pricey but someone gave it to me.

every 2-3 days: Comb and apply hollywood beauty castor and mink oil hairdress to ends.

I use...

Shampoo 1x per week:
414PUmPVvML._AA300_.jpg

Detangler 1x per week:
41kiipJmmRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
(staple)

DC and sometimes leave-in:
21k8jjzPv-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
(staple)

To close cuticles:
41z1hZPK1vL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Oil / Sealant: