Grrr. . .this breakage just WILL NOT go away!!

MissNina

Libra Girl
Maybe some ppl. . .like me. . .are just "breakage ppl"?

Late last week I did an Aphogee 2 step application. That helped my hair feel stronger but, while I have definitely gotten much less breakage, it hasn't stopped it enough for me. I used Aphogee 2 min pretty regularly but that didn't seem to really stop the breakage either. My shedding seemed to like double up over the past couple months as well.

I'm protective styling 98% of the time, but I'm sick of this breakage. It hasn't affected my length too much. Doesn't dramatically hinder my progress. . .I just notice it and I'm just so annoyed bc I KNOW I'm doing things right.

Someone gave me a heads up and I'm gonna try Nexxus Emergencee every 2 weeks for a little minute to see how that goes. I'm also gonna take garlic to try to stop the shedding. But I'm not too optimistic based on my track record :rolleyes:

I know from other threads I'm not the only one. Maybe breakage and I are just meant to be :(

:grin: Hi Missnina

I agree breakage irks me!!!!!! Aphogee 2 min is not strong enough to stop my breakage...I did emergencee last night and is better.

Dont get discouraged a little breakage is inevitable specially on relaxed hair...

Yes, I have this same problem. My hair seems like it breaks no matter what Ido, however, it seems as though I am retaining most of my length. I went from SL to APL in 4 months and am about to hit BSL. It's irritating because I could have probably been BSL by now. I don't know what to do either. B U M P I N G!!!

Maybe some ppl. . .like me. . .are just "breakage ppl"?

Late last week I did an Aphogee 2 step application. That helped my hair feel stronger but, while I have definitely gotten much less breakage, it hasn't stopped it enough for me. I used Aphogee 2 min pretty regularly but that didn't seem to really stop the breakage either. My shedding seemed to like double up over the past couple months as well.

I'm protective styling 98% of the time, but I'm sick of this breakage. It hasn't affected my length too much. Doesn't dramatically hinder my progress. . .I just notice it and I'm just so annoyed bc I KNOW I'm doing things right.

Someone gave me a heads up and I'm gonna try Nexxus Emergencee every 2 weeks for a little minute to see how that goes. I'm also gonna take garlic to try to stop the shedding. But I'm not too optimistic based on my track record :rolleyes:

I know from other threads I'm not the only one. Maybe breakage and I are just meant to be :(

I wish I knew what to do about breakage. Mine has been so bad that my stylist just cut my hair this past Saturday. The breakage was so severe she felt like I needed to cut the ends and just start over. I have about one incu of hair. I want to post a pic but I don't know how.

Do you think it could be protein overload? Maybe with all that protein you need to introduce more moisture. How does your hair feel when it's wet?

How long are the broken hairs?

Also, if the breakage decrease significantly then you were on the right track w/the protein treatment...Can you post your regimen?

can't remember who but someone had great progress w/ a tea rinse (it was 32 oz of boiled water and 6 tea bags steeped for like an hour or more). she said she rinsed it and left it in for a while (i don't remember exactly how long...maybe 45 mins and then washed it out - i thk it was noted that the caffeine stopped the shedding. i can see her face but cannot remember her name for the life of me....maybe do a quick search on tea rinses. i feel your pain as i suffer from the same - i just need to find time to try this. also, henna might help.

good luck!

Do you think it could be protein overload? Maybe with all that protein you need to introduce more moisture. How does your hair feel when it's wet?
I agree. One thing I am learning is that there must be a balance between protein and moisture when it comes to hair. Protein overload=drier, more brittle, breaking hair and needs to be corrected, bringing the hair back into balance with moisture. I too used the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor on my hair yesterday because my hair was shedding and breaking like a long haired dog. I could feel the strength in my hair afterwards but it also felt very dry. I added a moisturizer to my hair before I sat under the dryer. I then added more moisturizer to it afterwards before I straightened it. It still felt dry to me much later on so I parted my hair in tiny sections and added more moisturizer until my hair felt moisturized. So even though my hair is craving protein at this time, I must moisturize as well or the purpose will be defeated.

I have moments when I tend to have a lot of breakage/shedding also. When I do I usually wash w/ a clarifying shampoo (nothing too stripping), DC w/ Aphogee 2-min for 15 mins w/ heat, then DC with a moisture base conditioner for 45-1hr w/heat. My breakage/shedding virtually stops until I put or do something that causes it to start up again (realizing keeping it simple helps in this department). I got this tip from one of Sistaslicks articles. Someone also suggested that products with a lot of "cones" and products w/ glycerin (in colder climates) can cause breakage. HTH

Thanks for all the responses, ladies. . .and Gissell (for the Emergencee tip :grin:)

It could be but I really don't think so. If anything, when I used the 2-step, I realized that I didn't use enough protein. I'm unsure if the 2-min is strong enough for my hair.

When it's wet it feels normal. IDK if that makes any sense :perplexed but it doesn't feel weak or strong, just regular. And that's the other thing that makes it hard to figure out where it's coming from - I know what my hair feels like when it's in both protein and moisture overloads...and it hasn't felt like that in awhile. My hair FEELS strong since the 2 step, so I'm gonna be doing moisture from here on out until my hair starts to tell me different. When it does, I'm gonna introduce the Emergencee tip and pray for the best.

How long are the broken hairs?

Also, if the breakage decrease significantly then you were on the right track w/the protein treatment...Can you post your regimen?

The broken hairs vary in length, but never as long as my shed hair. I'd say maybe half of them are about 2 inches or a little bit less. Majority are a little longer by a couple inches. I know when I was stretching I had minor breakage from the demarc. but nothing major.

My regimen is pretty ummmm....not a regimen :lachen: I've found over time that it just doesnt work for me. But I do make sure to wash at least once a week (Redken Smooth Down, Aphogee or Nexxus) w/prepoo (Lustrasilk shea butter/EVOO), DC w/ whatever product I feel like my hair needs (usually I love the Aphogee 2 min, silk elements moisture treatment, LeKair or pantene R&N mask) and use a leave in. When I remember/have time, I CW. I airdry 99% of the time. I moisturize once or twice a day. . .depending. I try to clarify at least once a month.

I'm sorry. I actually wish I had a more specific regi I could give you in this instance :(

I have moments when I tend to have a lot of breakage/shedding also. When I do I usually wash w/ a clarifying shampoo (nothing too stripping), DC w/ Aphogee 2-min for 15 mins w/ heat, then DC with a moisture base conditioner for 45-1hr w/heat. My breakage/shedding virtually stops until I put or do something that causes it to start up again (realizing keeping it simple helps in this department). I got this tip from one of Sistaslicks articles. Someone also suggested that products with a lot of "cones" and products w/ glycerin (in colder climates) can cause breakage. HTH

Yeah girl, I talked to Sistaslick a long time ago about my breakage issues. She made me feel better by letting me know that it's just impossible to stop all of it. I get breakage even when I clarify (I always clarify the way she suggested in her breakage article) though. That's why I'm wondering if it's just meant to be.

Last edited:
Do you pre poo with the lustrasilk? I think you should DC with that instead and pre poo with an oil or something. Supergirl had a thread that mizani h20 rose night time treatment is suppose to stop breakage you should try that.
Good luck !

Thanks for all the responses, ladies. . .and Gissell (for the Emergencee tip :grin:)

It could be but I really don't think so. If anything, when I used the 2-step, I realized that I didn't use enough protein. I'm unsure if the 2-min is strong enough for my hair.

When it's wet it feels normal. IDK if that makes any sense :perplexed but it doesn't feel weak or strong, just regular. And that's the other thing that makes it hard to figure out where it's coming from - I know what my hair feels like when it's in both protein and moisture overloads...and it hasn't felt like that in awhile. My hair FEELS strong since the 2 step, so I'm gonna be doing moisture from here on out until my hair starts to tell me different. When it does, I'm gonna introduce the Emergencee tip and pray for the best.

The broken hairs vary in length, but never as long as my shed hair. I'd say maybe half of them are about 2 inches or a little bit less. Majority are a little longer by a couple inches. I know when I was stretching I had minor breakage from the demarc. but nothing major.

My regimen is pretty ummmm....not a regimen :lachen: I've found over time that it just doesnt work for me. But I do make sure to wash at least once a week (Redken Smooth Down, Aphogee or Nexxus) w/prepoo (Lustrasilk shea butter/EVOO), DC w/ whatever product I feel like my hair needs (usually I love the Aphogee 2 min, silk elements moisture treatment, LeKair or pantene R&N mask) and use a leave in. When I remember/have time, I CW. I airdry 99% of the time. I moisturize once or twice a day. . .depending. I try to clarify at least once a month.

I'm sorry. I actually wish I had a more specific regi I could give you in this instance :(

Yeah girl, I talked to Sistaslick a long time ago about my breakage issues. She made me feel better by letting me know that it's just impossible to stop all of it. I get breakage even when I clarify (I always clarify the way she suggested in her breakage article) though. That's why I'm wondering if it's just meant to be.

TBH, you really are closer to repairing your breakage than you think!

You said that you plan to do moisture from here on out b/c of the Aphogee, but I don't think you should do that. The Aphogee 2-step resolved some of your breakage, but not all of it. So I think you should just incorporate a little more protein into your "regimen" :)

You should try either using Aphogee 2 min every week as a dc, or a stronger protein like 5n1 mixed with your lustrasilk shea butter. Each week. Then in 6 weeks do the Aphogee again.

Sometimes people are so afraid of protein overload that they use it once and go cold turkey, and end up undoing all that the protein treatment established on the hair shaft. You have to maintain proper protein and moisture balances, not one or the other.

Or if you must use only moisturizing products on wash day, use a protein daily moisturizer in between your washes.

HTH. Good luck :up:

You said that you plan to do moisture from here on out b/c of the Aphogee, but I don't think you should do that. The Aphogee 2-step resolved some of your breakage, but not all of it. So I think you should just incorporate a little more protein into your "regimen" :)

You should try either using Aphogee 2 min every week as a dc, or a stronger protein like 5n1 mixed with your lustrasilk shea butter. Each week. Then in 6 weeks do the Aphogee again.

Sometimes people are so afraid of protein overload that they use it once and go cold turkey, and end up undoing all that the protein treatment established on the hair shaft. You have to maintain proper protein and moisture balances, not one or the other.

Or if you must use only moisturizing products on wash day, use a protein daily moisturizer in between your washes.

:yep::yep: and *just adding* going to either extreme especially when you are not balanced to begin with can cause more cuticle swelling and breakage.

Last edited:

Great post. I feel like if I add more protein right now I'll go into overload or something, but I'll definitely take your advice. Thanks so much :)

ETA: Do you think Emergencee would be too heavy to use so soon after the hardcore Aphogee? I've never used it but I know ppl seem to say they are pretty equivalent in terms of power. If so, I'll just try to stick with the 2 min since I already have it.

Do you pre poo with the lustrasilk? I think you should DC with that instead and pre poo with an oil or something. Supergirl had a thread that mizani h20 rose night time treatment is suppose to stop breakage you should try that.
Good luck !

Yeah, the only reason I prepoo at all is b/c it helps with detangling. I mix it with EVOO though. I may check out the Mizani if it doesn't clear up in about a month. . .thanks!!

Last edited:
Great post. I feel like if I add more protein right now I'll go into overload or something, but I'll definitely take your advice. Thanks so much :)

ETA: Do you think Emergencee would be too heavy to use so soon after the hardcore Aphogee? I've never used it but I know ppl seem to say they are pretty equivalent in terms of power. If so, I'll just try to stick with the 2 min since I already have it.

Yeah, the only reason I prepoo at all is b/c it helps with detangling. I mix it with EVOO though. I may check out the Mizani if it doesn't clear up in about a month. . .thanks!!
The emergencee is definitely too heavy. You better stick with the 2 min.

A lot of people like Motions CPR (the one in the jar, not the bottle)
I used to use it and it stopped my breakage, despite all the damage I had inflicted from blow drying to often.

Good luck !

Mizani night time treatment also helped. But the rose hairdress and the h2o treatment are two different products.

You won't go into protein overload. Just get a mild or medium level reconstructor and mix it with a moisture deep conditioner. I do it all the time :yep:

And yes, Emergencee would be too much. You just want to slightly increase your hair's protein level so that the breakage will stop, and then maintain your balance from there. That what my above suggestion will do.

Garlic pills have helped soooo much with shedding. I have to use protein once a week on wash day cause I moisturize everyday. That balance things out. My hair has stopped shedding and breaking because of this. Seemed like I was never going to get it right but I have a solid regimine now

You may want to give henna a try... I used to have the same problem with my relaxed ends but henna just nipped it in the bud, much better than protein EVER did :grin:....finally no breakage.... curlynikki.com has an excellent recipe for henna... it takes some time but it is well worth it.... good luck

You won't go into protein overload. Just get a mild or medium level reconstructor and mix it with a moisture deep conditioner. I do it all the time :yep:

And yes, Emergencee would be too much. You just want to slightly increase your hair's protein level so that the breakage will stop, and then maintain your balance from there. That what my above suggestion will do.

Oh wow I totally agree. I mix a small amount of liquid reconstructor and small amount of olive oil, teaspoon of porosity control, with mane and tail conditioner every week. I leave it on for a couple hours. my hair feels very strong and healthy now. It took me forever to figure this out.

Oil rinses stopped my breakage. If you haven't tried it you should especially if you are doing protein or henna. You can search for sareca's thread about it. It's worth a try...

A lot of people like Motions CPR (the one in the jar, not the bottle)
I used to use it and it stopped my breakage, despite all the damage I had inflicted from blow drying to often.
I have this too. . .I use it every now and then. I like it a lot. Have you tried the CPR reconstructor?

Thanks for all the advice, ladies! I definitely feel more positive that I'll find a solution with all your options :yep:

I credit my little brakage to being heavy heavy handed on my fine strands. my hairs in the best shape of my life. Macherieamour also told me that a little breakage is inevitable.

:yep::yep: and *just adding* going to either extreme especially when you are not balanced to begin with can cause more cuticle swelling and breakage.

My word. I FINALLY understand what is meant by 'maintaining the moisture-protein balance'! I thought I understood it! All this time I thought it was fine to go from one extreme to the other. If my hair was overmoisturised I would slap Emergencee in it and then start moisturising the hell out of it again :nono:
I think this is so well explained. I hope everyone reads this!!!!
Thanks so much Artemis and Gymfreak!:yep:
:hug3:

That's exactly what came to my mind. Protein-moisture balance. It's difficult to achieve, but once you achieve it, stick to what works.

You may want to give henna a try... I used to have the same problem with my relaxed ends but henna just nipped it in the bud, much better than protein EVER did :grin:....finally no breakage.... curlynikki.com has an excellent recipe for henna... it takes some time but it is well worth it.... good luck

I just henna'd last night and my hair feels strong and healthy. I followed up with a deep moisturizing conditioning treatment, using Silicon Mix in the jar, mixed with another moisturizing conditioner called Lustrasilk. Compliments all around on the health of my hair. When applying moisturizer, concentrate especially on the ends, seal with coconut oil or some other light oil.

Good luck! :blowkiss:

My breakage never goes away... it is not as bad as it used to be before LHCF, but no matter what I do, it WON'T go away. It could be inevitable, but I think my breakage is worstened by the fact that the ends of my hair are terribly overprocessed with no lye relaxer. I don't think that damage can really ever be repaired.

My word. I FINALLY understand what is meant by 'maintaining the moisture-protein balance'! I thought I understood it! All this time I thought it was fine to go from one extreme to the other. If my hair was overmoisturised I would slap Emergencee in it and then start moisturising the hell out of it again :nono:
I think this is so well explained. I hope everyone reads this!!!!
Thanks so much Artemis and Gymfreak!:yep:
:hug3:

I learned this the hard way and reading more about hair confirmed that this happens. I think alot of us do what you do. I know I would. I would wait until my hair was limp as a noodle and then get out the heavy protein. Then like you, back to moisturizing like a mad woman :nono: Bad combination. It can cause more hair shaft weakness. I think this is part of the reason why some people see more thinning in their length as it gets longer but I won't go into that here. Try getting balanced and then using a conditioner that is a good mix of protein and moisture. Like artemis was telling me yesterday, many of the creamy reconstucting products really have enough moisture to hold you over. That way you don't have to ping pong between the two aimlessly.

That's exactly what came to my mind. Protein-moisture balance. It's difficult to achieve, but once you achieve it, stick to what works.

You know what, for me it wasn't difficult to achieve, b/c when I first really started doing my hair myself it was kind of already there b/c I had a great stylist. But it was difficult as HELL to maintain! It is so easy to throw the balance off. I think somewhere along the line I must've started taking it for granted that my hair was "in check" and then part of it was that learning period as well. Oh well. I'm gonna get a lock on this breakage! I'm gonna try some of the stuff suggested in here and something will work eventually.

Back