Grrr. . .this breakage just WILL NOT go away!!

I learned this the hard way and reading more about hair confirmed that this happens. I think alot of us do what you do. I know I would. I would wait until my hair was limp as a noodle and then get out the heavy protein. Then like you, back to moisturizing like a mad woman :nono: Bad combination. It can cause more hair shaft weakness. I think this is part of the reason why some people see more thinning in their length as it gets longer but I won't go into that here. Try getting balanced and then using a conditioner that is a good mix of protein and moisture. Like artemis was telling me yesterday, many of the creamy reconstucting products really have enough moisture to hold you over. That way you don't have to ping pong between the two aimlessly.

Okay you've got me gripped now. I am seeing thinning in my length. I'm going to PM you to find out more about this.
Thanks so much Gymfreak.

I totaly agree with the tea rising cause it dose help for shedding but it maybe protien overlaod try upping your moisture either through co-washing with a good conditioner for moisture Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose only first bagging every night being very light with products when baggy. Also becareful cause you can over do it with the moisture in that case Redken Anti-Snap has been a true godsend for me. And Redken Cat is good also I like Aphogee as well both the 2 step and the two min. one the 2 step some after I used it I still was getting breakage so I figured maybe it was to strong. So I decided that maybe Redken would be better and it was not only did it stop my breakage but also my hair was soft as well. I also like the Deep Fuel condition as well. HTH. Also manipulation of any kind can cause some to little breakage ex. combing , plaits, cornrows ,but as long as it dose not effect your progress I wouldn't worry too much.

Also there's this website that helped me when I first started my healthy hair care progam Here it is:Hairfinity.com not for the supplements but they have a section that talks about how do a emergency stop for hair breakage tips and that helped me as well no I don't take their vitamins but their tips was very useful by the way I take rite version of hair,skin,and nail vits
My husband hair is 1/b2/a straight with slight curl to his ends and all he do is put it in a pony tail and even though thats all he do he still gets breakage and he uses the hair friendly bands the ones with no metal. And his hair is still thriving and long so for me some breakage is just part of the norm. As long as it dosn't get out of hand and it dose not hinder your growth or any aparent servere damage via heat or chemical IMO. HTH

I am having the same problem. I have been having breakage issues for about a year now and I can't figure out what it is I am doing wrong. I think I am going to have to give henna a try because the protein treatments are working. I've tried limiting heat, protective styling, no-low manipulation and still I end up w/broken hair everywhere when I detangle or style my ahir.

Maybe some ppl. . .like me. . .are just "breakage ppl"?

Late last week I did an Aphogee 2 step application. That helped my hair feel stronger but, while I have definitely gotten much less breakage, it hasn't stopped it enough for me. I used Aphogee 2 min pretty regularly but that didn't seem to really stop the breakage either. My shedding seemed to like double up over the past couple months as well.

I'm protective styling 98% of the time, but I'm sick of this breakage. It hasn't affected my length too much. Doesn't dramatically hinder my progress. . .I just notice it and I'm just so annoyed bc I KNOW I'm doing things right.

Someone gave me a heads up and I'm gonna try Nexxus Emergencee every 2 weeks for a little minute to see how that goes. I'm also gonna take garlic to try to stop the shedding. But I'm not too optimistic based on my track record :rolleyes:

I know from other threads I'm not the only one. Maybe breakage and I are just meant to be :(

I think you need a deep moisturizing treatment. Believe it or not, Suave Humectant is excellent. I guess the Nexxus original of it is even better. I'd buy a moisturizing leave-in treatment for my ends and continue bunning or whichever protective styling you're doing. It's probably the winter weather.

Maybe try doing the protein as a prepoo then shampoo then do a moisturizing conditioner. So you don't have to try and mix all these things.

I agree. One thing I am learning is that there must be a balance between protein and moisture when it comes to hair. Protein overload=drier, more brittle, breaking hair and needs to be corrected, bringing the hair back into balance with moisture. I too used the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor on my hair yesterday because my hair was shedding and breaking like a long haired dog. I could feel the strength in my hair afterwards but it also felt very dry. I added a moisturizer to my hair before I sat under the dryer. I then added more moisturizer to it afterwards before I straightened it. It still felt dry to me much later on so I parted my hair in tiny sections and added more moisturizer until my hair felt moisturized. So even though my hair is craving protein at this time, I must moisturize as well or the purpose will be defeated.

Did you DC after? I've been on my Aphogee regimen for a short time now & I follow the 2 min with a moisturizing deep conditioner.

I haven't experienced any noticeable dryness from Aphogee. The hard protein was too hard for my taste. Nexxus Emergencee feels like it does absolutely nothing to my hair.

OP, make sure you balance all of that protein out with lots of moisture as someone mentioned earlier.

I am a constant shedder - I haven't found my balance yet. My strands are long - so I'm thinking it's not breakage? But my hair continues to grow ... idk? I use Nizarol AD to combat a dry scalp (which has helped tremendously), keracare hydrating poo, DC with GVP conditioning balm, kera care humecto (bottle) or ORS replenshing in bottle. I also use Cantu creme leave-in - I'm not sure if this a mistake or not - for airdrying.

I'm gonna try the Aphogee 2 min this weekend along with DCing.

Last edited:
I've been doing the Aphogee 2 min mixed with the moisture DC and so far, so kinda no good. My breakage has slowed down quite a bit but it is definitely still there. . .but it is this shedding that is really irking me now. IDK...I guess it's shedding b/c it's long but I really don't feel like checking for all the bulbs :ohwell: I know a couple of didn't have it but I have so little new growth it can't be from the demarcation line. Sooooo, I'ma say it's shedding.

I'm really starting to think breakage is just one of those things I'm gonna have to charge to game and take an L. As long as it's not effecting my length too much, I guess I should be thankful.

Back