Growing out an ACCIDENTAL MULLET??? Post pics here & tell your story! I am...

Diva_Esq

So, I feel like the black girl version of the mullet...the equivalent of the 2011 Salt N Pepa hairstyle over here awaiting my mullet to grow out! :lachen:

UGH!! :nono:

When I BC'd on April 5, 2010, I had a lot more new growth in the back, so the front was a lot shorter. While it's nowhere near as noticeable when my hair is curly, if I straighten, you can really see it. Luckily, the top is growing in some and it looks more layered. I've come a ways, but I still have a long way to go before it's all one length! :ohwell:

Anybody else growing out their accidental mullet? Don't be ashamed! :look: Unite with me in black girl mullet grow out pride!! :lachen:

Here are the pics...if you look closely, you can really see the business in the front, party in the back..even though I tried to blend it! :lachen:

This is July 2010, about 3 months after my big chop (I BC'd after an 11 month transition down to 4"):
picture.php

This was taken today (I am 1 year, 1 month+ post BC):
picture.php

I will be so glad when it's more even!! It's taking a long time, but I don't want to cut my length in the back until it's at least MBL or WL. Then I'll keep the back there while the top continues to catch up and then try for HL...WHEW! :blush: Thanks for laughing AT me...I mean, with me! :spinning:

My hair grows considerably slower in the front than it does anywhere else. This is one reason I'm not a huge fan of twistouts or braidouts on me yet- I think they look so much better when you have length to frame the face.

Mine looks more layered bang than the a la Salt n Pepa 'do you're rocking in your first pic :lol:. Your hair is still drool-worthy though....mullet and all :yep:

Lol @ the title of the thread...I can see what you mean, but your hair is lovely!!!!! I wouldn't cut it either...ride that thing out!

I'm sorry I have no advice, but I do want to say that I love the term business in the front, party in the back lol.

Droid typing leads to typos for me

My hair grows considerably slower in the front than it does anywhere else. This is one reason I'm not a huge fan of twistouts or braidouts on me yet- I think they look so much better when you have length to frame the face.

Mine looks more layered bang than the a la Salt n Pepa 'do you're rocking in your first pic :lol:. Your hair is still drool-worthy though....mullet and all :yep:

I've only straightened my hair for trims until today's flatty on a whim b/c of my SNP 'do! :lol: Thanks for the compliment! :)

Lol @ the title of the thread...I can see what you mean, but your hair is lovely!!!!! I wouldn't cut it either...ride that thing out!

Girl, I'm riding it on out! I want long sides like YOU! :yep:

I feel you on the accidental mullet. My hair grows much slower at the crown area, so I constantly have two lengths. I'm going to ride it out, too until the short part is APL, then I'll even it out.

Your hair looks great now!:yep:

I had a slight accidental mullet...I did a mini big chop in the back of my hair and two months later its grazing shoulder length and it full....If you have the courage to do so....i say do it.

LOL...not that you pulled out the Salt-n-Pepa pic!!! Shucks that was the style and with that hair of yours I know it was fly every time you left the salon (Awwww Push It....lol)!!!! Your hair is just tha' bidness, ma'am!!

On another note - Congratulations on your Curlicious Beauty endeavor - haven't chatted with you in a minute but I am sooooo wishing you nothing but success - I just love how you took the concept and brought it into fruition ...you not only stepped out on faith - you jumped!!! LOVE IT!

I'm in the same boat as you, when I big chopped the back new growth was considerably longer. I haven't straightened my hair since big chopping, but you can tell when it's curly because the longer pieces hang more - especially when it's wet. I did have layers, so hopefully that will help not hurt.

This post basically describes my hair!

My hair is also a looser texture in the back. It looks like a 3c/4a combination when the rest of my hair is 4a, so it throws off every straight hairstyle, too. It looks like I have an eighties-era hairstyle when my hair is straight or in a twistout.

I had a slight accidental mullet...I did a mini big chop in the back of my hair and two months later its grazing shoulder length and it full....If you have the courage to do so....i say do it.

:nono: ZERO COURAGE HERE until I reach my hair goal!

Yep, my hair seems to be growing the same way. Your mullet is pretty, though! :yep:

Aww, thanks...if there is such a thing as a pretty mullet, I'm honored that I have it! :lol:

lol, i just like the word mullet lol

:lol: Right!

LOL...not that you pulled out the Salt-n-Pepa pic!!! Shucks that was the style and with that hair of yours I know it was fly every time you left the salon (Awwww Push It....lol)!!!! Your hair is just tha' bidness, ma'am!!

On another note - Congratulations on your Curlicious Beauty endeavor - haven't chatted with you in a minute but I am sooooo wishing you nothing but success - I just love how you took the concept and brought it into fruition ...you not only stepped out on faith - you jumped!!! LOVE IT!

You couldn't tell me I wasn't in the group! LOL Thank you!! It was a huge leap of faith, but I'm happy to help other naturals show their natural hair pride through my apparel!! Thank you again! And yes, we have to check in with each other more often! ;)

I'm in the same boat as you, when I big chopped the back new growth was considerably longer. I haven't straightened my hair since big chopping, but you can tell when it's curly because the longer pieces hang more - especially when it's wet. I did have layers, so hopefully that will help not hurt.

The first time I straightened at 3 months post-BC, I was shocked at how much longer the back was!!! :look:

This post basically describes my hair!

My hair is also a looser texture in the back. It looks like a 3c/4a combination when the rest of my hair is 4a, so it throws off every straight hairstyle, too. It looks like I have an eighties-era hairstyle when my hair is straight or in a twistout.

Yep! :yep: Lookin' like I'm the only black girl on an 80s sitcom!! :lachen:

Another mullett sista in the house!! :perplexed

I made the mistake of growing my nape in the same time as the top after I tried to grow out my short tapered cut. I wish I would have kept the back tapered until the front and crown completely passed it.

Sorry for the grainy pics of my mop head. The camera on my new phone sucks.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 5-8-11b.jpg
    5-8-11b.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 333
i had a mullet too. this is a result of doing a bc. it didnt bother me that much as i usually just pinned my nape up when i wore it curly and pincurled my hair when i wore it straight. although i have to say i am much happier now that i cut a good chunk of the mullet off. my hair is shorter but i enjoy wearing my hair out much more.

i had a mullet too. this is a result of doing a bc. it didnt bother me that much as i usually just pinned my nape up when i wore it curly and pincurled my hair when i wore it straight. although i have to say i am much happier now that i cut a good chunk of the mullet off. my hair is shorter but i enjoy wearing my hair out much more.

I swear I'll keep my back at MBL once it gets there and let my front catch up and then grown to WL or HL... :look:

I do feel your pain. When I first BC'd in February 2010, I cut it into two layers. I was really embarassed so I didn't take pics of it! Now My longer length is at APL and my shorter layer is somewhere between SL and APL stretched so it doesn't look at mullet-y and blends pretty well.

This is my hair to a "T"
I originally transistioned about 80% of my hair accidently with weaves ( I was only texlaxing my leaveout) I took my install out one day and fell in love with my kinks and curls in the back and decided to go fully natural.
I only did a BC on the back half of my hair at first just to see what it would look like, it was cute, but still too short for my taste (NL at the time) So I weaved it back up and commenced to tranistioning the front section
Fast forward to last November I officially BC'd the front part (cuz I just couldnt wait any longer for it to catch up to the back) and now im rockin a full on mullet NL in the front a lil past SL in the back, I think some parts in the very top of my crown are even shorter :perplexed
Drives me up the wall!!
Bobby pins, puffs, and wigs are my best friends :lol:

* I plan to maintain at APL (once I reach it) until rest catches up....then its WL all the way baby!!

Yep. Once when I was natural I either lost the center of my hair to breakage or I cut it out when I was removing a weave. I've always had a hard time growing that area back.

I'd leave it alone, it's what I did after my BC. If you can hang in there and be reeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaal patient, the hair grows in enough where it doesn't matter much anymore.

Have some pics in my 2007 album. I rarely wore it out and unmanipulated because the crown and a few other top sections was so freakin' short and would love to pop up when everything else dropped down.

I spent most of my time in twists, braided styles and combo puffs w/twists or braids - rollersets looked good too.

This is my hair to a "T"
I originally transistioned about 80% of my hair accidently with weaves ( I was only texlaxing my leaveout) I took my install out one day and fell in love with my kinks and curls in the back and decided to go fully natural.
I only did a BC on the back half of my hair at first just to see what it would look like, it was cute, but still too short for my taste (NL at the time) So I weaved it back up and commenced to tranistioning the front section
Fast forward to last November I officially BC'd the front part (cuz I just couldnt wait any longer for it to catch up to the back) and now im rockin a full on mullet NL in the front a lil past SL in the back, I think some parts in the very top of my crown are even shorter :perplexed
Drives me up the wall!!
Bobby pins, puffs, and wigs are my best friends :lol:

* I plan to maintain at APL (once I reach it) until rest catches up....then its WL all the way baby!!

I'm going to follow you here on the boards! Thanks for sharing my mullet!! :lachen:

I'd leave it alone, it's what I did after my BC. If you can hang in there and be reeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaal patient, the hair grows in enough where it doesn't matter much anymore.

Have some pics in my 2007 album. I rarely wore it out and unmanipulated because the crown and a few other top sections was so freakin' short and would love to pop up when everything else dropped down.

I spent most of my time in twists, braided styles and combo puffs w/twists or braids - rollersets looked good too.

LynnieB Thanks for that advice! I'm too attached to my length to cut it! It will remain as long as I can and hopefully, my stylist can continue to trim it in long layers as it grows like he has been. :)

Don't feel bad. I had my hair cut into a cute bob when I was wearing it flat ironed all of the time. Now that I don't use heat my twist outs look like a pancake! I am 2 inches from BSL in the back layers, APL on the side layers and crown neck length to SL layers!!!!! I have to wear headbands!!

Back