GOT A TOUCH UP AT DOMINICAN SALON

peacelove

I just wanted to share my experience. I went to a Dominican salon for a touch up. This was my first time going to a Dominican salon for a relaxer and I am pretty pleased with the results. First off, I used Designer Touch regular wich is my new relaxer of choice from here on. It was just the right strength for my fine hair. Much milder than most regular formulas I think, but more effective than vitale was on my hair. My hair is soft and has body, but straight enough so that I won't worry about different textures in my hair anymore.

As for how they processed my hair, the application was great. the stylist based my scalp A LOT which had me worried because I had a lot of new growth and my last perm did not take. He applied only to the new growth which made me happy. The only real concern came when he started smoothing my hair. YIKES. That's where the overlap came in. When I looked in the mirror, they had smoothed the relaxer over a lot of the top of my hair which had me scared. I was so surprised I did not burn, but between the vaseline and the milder formula of the perm, I did not even tingle. I was then washed 4 times (yes FOUR) by the shampoo woman. I did not mind because I felt good that my hair was cleaned of all chemicals and vaseline. I got a deep conditioner after which is also not normal for me after a relaxer. What I ususally do is a protein treatment that comes with the relaxer (affirm and vitale were my previous relaxers). that you do before the shampoo. Designer Touch has one, but I did not use it. I will probably do it next time because I do need some stregthening for my fine hair. The roller set was great, I was under medium heat, not that blazing hot heat that I am used to. My hair feels wonderful - soft and bouncy and smooth cuticles.

I would like to just continue on this approach with my hair, because truthfully my hair is in best health when I go to a dominican salon. My ONLY concern is that the overlap will start to weaken my hair. I guess I can stress next time for them not to comb it back so far, but who knows if they will listen. I don't like relaxing at home, and the other black salons that I have been to are too much drama and time and money. So I think I will give this a shot. Hopefully my hair will be happy with this!

Oh I forgot to mention, I went to Santa's in Hackensack. They use great products on me - some Alter Ego serum and Salerm for the set and doobie. Not sure what deep conditioner she used, but WOW it smelled out of this world. And the neutralizing shampoo smelled of coconut. YUM!!!

Last edited:
Are you sure that they overlapped too much? I think usually they put a little relaxer on some of the already relaxed hair so that the hair will be smooth throughout.

Congrats on your great experience at the Dom salon. My friend swears by them for relaxers and doobies. I was thinking about letting them relax my hair when I'm done this 6 month stretch but I wasn't sure. I'm scared they won't know what to do with all this new growth and won't relax it all. I plan on getting my hair relaxed for graduation next month. I think I'm gonna try my friend's Dom hairdresser. Thanks for sharing your experience! How much new growth did you have?

Im glad you had such a positive experience with the Dominicans. :) I would try to communicate to them next time that you want JUST the new growth relaxed, and im sure they'll try to do that (make sure the stylist speaks English well, or tell the receptionist and have them communicate the message in English). They tend to be pretty accomodating at Dominican salons, and rarely give you all that "lip" and backtalk that other stylists are known for. :lol: So i believe they'll try to keep the relaxer at the roots only.

Lovelylocs said:
Are you sure that they overlapped too much? I think usually they put a little relaxer on some of the already relaxed hair so that the hair will be smooth throughout.

Yeah, that is pretty much what they did, but for me that is overlap. Even though it did not stay on long - my fear is that will break down the hair too much over time and weaken it too much. I don't want any relaxer on the relaxed hair (usually impossible) or as little as possible!

bmoreflyygirl said:
Congrats on your great experience at the Dom salon. My friend swears by them for relaxers and doobies. I was thinking about letting them relax my hair when I'm done this 6 month stretch but I wasn't sure. I'm scared they won't know what to do with all this new growth and won't relax it all. I plan on getting my hair relaxed for graduation next month. I think I'm gonna try my friend's Dom hairdresser. Thanks for sharing your experience! How much new growth did you have?

I probably had about an inch of new growth or just under an inch. Is that a lot? I don't even know!

I also want to stress to those looking for a nice relaxer that is not too strong try that Designer Touch! I love it. I use the one that says texturizing relaxer in regular. It is lye. :)

loonatick said:
Thats great girl!
how long did you leave the relaxer on for? Is your hair bone straight or still have a wave?

It was probably about 12 minutes? Not too too long. My roots don't feel bone straight, despite all the smoothing. I think it is because Designer touch is a texturizing type relaxer. But I will get a better idea if I have any wave pattern left on my next wash. My hair felt more permed when I used to get Affirm.

I still want to master perming at home though. That would be ideal for me.

Back