GOING... GOING... GONE!

Lotus

Ok. I've chopped and chopped and chopped. It seems like the more I cut, the worse the breakage gets. Has anyone resoved this breakage problem (see picture)? If so, please tell me how. I'm getting really frustrated. I've went from (I cut it because it was so broken) like an inch or so above BS to APL.

I CO wash every 2-3 days w/Elucence.
I dont comb my hair dry, I only comb on wash days.
I currently use coconut oil, Infusium & Elucence as a leave in.
No heat.
Aphogee or Elucence Extened Moisture Repair.
Deep condition 1x a week w/ ORS.

The hair in the middle of the nape (if that's what you call it) is a texture I've yet to define. I grows out straight, thin, hard and brittle! :mad:.
(chanting- I love my hair, I love my hair, I love my hair- trying 2make my self believe it) :perplexed .

Anyways.. here's a picture-

View attachment 2122

TIA

Last edited:
Lotus said:
Ok. I've chopped and chopped and chopped. It seems like the more I cut, the worse the breakage gets. Has anyone resoved this breakage problem (see picture)? If so, please tell me how. I'm getting really frustrated. I've went from (I cut it because it was so broken) like an inch or so above BS to APL.

I CO wash every 2-3 days w/Elucence.
I dont comb my hair dry, I only comb on wash days.
I currently use coconut oil, Infusium & Elucence as a leave in.
No heat.
Aphogee or Elucence Extened Moisture Repair.
Deep condition 1x a week w/ ORS.

The hair in the middle of the nape (if that's what you call it) is a texture I've yet to define. I grows out straight, thin, hard and brittle! :mad:.
(chanting- I love my hair, I love my hair, I love my hair- trying 2make my self believe it) :perplexed .

Anyways.. here's a picture-

View attachment 2122

TIA

ETA: Forgot Surge.

Nobody... I'll be baldheaded by Dec at this rate. I'd hate to bust up in a post your progress thread with the back of my head as clean as a newborns bottom. :perplexed :lol:

I think you have what we call around here hair anorexia. Cause I don't see any breakage. How do you normally wear your hair? I wish my hair looked like that! Keep doing what you are doing and be patient! :)

Your head looks exactly like the way mine did!!! :) It appears like you have slight breakage in the middle area. What kind of styles are you wearing? Maybe your putting stress on that area.

BTW, are your sure the scissors your using are sharp?

I'd say reduce the number of protein treatments (if that's what you meant by Aphogee and Emergencee). TOo much protein can cause the hair to be brittle and dry.

crlsweetie912 said:
I think you have what we call around here hair anorexia. Cause I don't see any breakage. How do you normally wear your hair? I wish my hair looked like that! (Becareful... I wouldnt wish this choppy mess on anybody, but Thank you) Keep doing what you are doing and be patient! :)

Thank you soooo much for answering. The picture's not that good- cell phone. Click picture to enlarge, then look at the bottom in the middle. There you will find my hot mess-:ohwell:

I used to wear it in a ponytail braid all the time. I never noticed breakage when I take the ponytail holder out. But the breakage is still traveling up. So, 2B on the safe side, I cut- then. I started to wear ponytail until dry, then I put loose twist and secure with 2 hair pins or sticks. Still No breakage when I manipulate my dry hair.
The only time I notice breakage is when I co-wash an put in ponytial- it comes out in clumps and long strands. I mean there's hair all down my back when I get out of the shower. It's not coming out like it used to, but it's still coming out... I think a little too much. It seems like the breakage is still traveling up my head in the middle. I dont know. I've been reviewing the threads... someone mentioned Surge had alot of protien, so maybe it the Surge. :confused:

Thanks for answering and your encouragement.

Last edited:
dannie_19 said:
Your head looks exactly like the way mine did!!! :) It appears like you have slight breakage in the middle area. What kind of styles are you wearing? Maybe your putting stress on that area.

BTW, are your sure the scissors your using are sharp?

Did, whew... there's hope for me. Mostly ponytail w/braid. But now ponytail til dry, then light twist w/2 hair pins- very loose.

How did you get your hair to fill in? Cutting it (yep sharp scissors) did not work... it just broke off at the ends and worked it's way up.

Last edited:
Maybe the hairpins and the sticks are placing pressure on one particular area of your scalp. That will also cause the scalp/hair to weaken and ultimately break. :ohwell: When I wore ponytails the middle of my hair would itch like nobody's business. I couldn't wait to get home so I can scratch the heck out of my scalp. Again, weakening that area.

Shine-On said:
Maybe the hairpins and the sticks are placing pressure on one particular area of your scalp. That will also cause the scalp/hair to weaken and ultimately break. :ohwell: When I wore ponytails the middle of my hair would itch like nobody's business. I couldn't wait to get home so I can scratch the heck out of my scalp. Again, weakening that area.

Yes, yes, yes... that's me. But my ponies are tight... no bumps or anything. I'll try pony to dry (handle new growth) then loose french braid between wash days. Come to think of it, my last Aphogee treatment burned a little in the back. Me and my crazy self thought it was a 'tingle'.

Ok... so cut back on the protein and no pony/loosen pony.

I had the same problem.... I went to my stylist and she said that my problem was too much moisture (I'm inclined to believe her because I can't co-wash for hell.... my hair was soft but dry and broke off like you wouldn't believe) and she applied a protein treatment that stopped the breakage.

I nipped my breakage problem in the bud by misting my ends morning and night with a water/conditioner mixture, applying a bit of leave in and a touch of oil (monie). The conditioner that I use in my mist has protein in it so I get both protein and moisture and the oil seals everything. This is the one thing that has helped me.

Before the ladies on this site recommended the above regimen I thought I was giving my hair all the moisture and tlc it could possibly need. I was conditioner washing, using leave ins, avoiding heat; but no matter what I did I still had breakage. Focusing this type of attention on my ends has made a world of difference.

Thanks again ladies. I really appreciate your input. I'll take heed to all of your suggestions and change things up a bit on my end.

loosen pony, watch for pin/hair stick irritation
monitor protein and reduce as necessary
try less con-washing (less manipulation) and hair spritz for moisture.

Lotus said:
Thank you soooo much for answering. The picture's not that good- cell phone. Click picture to enlarge, then look at the bottom in the middle. There you will find my hot mess-:ohwell:

I used to wear it in a ponytail braid all the time. I never noticed breakage when I take the ponytail holder out. But the breakage is still traveling up. So, 2B on the safe side, I cut- then. I started to wear ponytail until dry, then I put loose twist and secure with 2 hair pins or sticks. Still No breakage when I manipulate my dry hair.
The only time I notice breakage is when I co-wash an put in ponytial- it comes out in clumps and long strands. I mean there's hair all down my back when I get out of the shower. It's not coming out like it used to, but it's still coming out... I think a little too much. It seems like the breakage is still traveling up my head in the middle. I dont know. I've been reviewing the threads... someone mentioned Surge had alot of protien, so maybe it the Surge. :confused:

Thanks for answering and your encouragement.
Maybe you should cut down on the co-washes. I know for me every 2 or 3 days would be too much because of the manipulation. My hair does the best with low manipulation so I only shampoo or co-wash every 2 weeks when I press my hair and weekly when I wear it natural but most of the time it's every 2 weeks. You don't have to go that long but I would at least try just washing weekly and see how that goes. I know for me I loose more hair when I wash and get more breakage, that's why I choose not to do it so much. I keep more hair on my head this way.

Yup... I agree w/ Pokahontas on the co-wash thing. You may be doing it too much. Actually, you may not even need to do it at all. IMO, I dont like CW 'cause I think that's too much protein on the hair.

I have the same problem with my ends as well, but one thing that really seems to be working is applying ORS Carrot Oil on the ends when I roll up or wrap my hair with a satin scarf. My ends have improved greatly over time.

Maybe more protective stying such as a bun will help. Oiling my ends and puting them away in a bun or baggie has help me alot. If you like your hair out then oil the ends morning and night. HTH

Back