Going from natural to relaxed 4b's

spicyc30

Going from natural to relaxed 4b\'s

Hi all!! This is my first time posting. First of all thank you for all the information that you've shared.
My hair is natural,4b. I've been natural for four years now and I have about ten inches of hair. I am getting tired of this look. I do plan on perming it in about a year. However, I believe that I will experience breakage. My hair has knots on its strands. They may be on the ends or in the middle of the strand. I know that that is due to tangling. Is it normal to have these knots? And if I will experience breakage when I perm, should I cut my hair now?

Re: Going from natural to relaxed 4b\'s

Hi spicyc30,

Welcome to the board! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Our hair can get knots, it's normal for our hair type. If your relaxer is done correctly and you learn how to care for it, you shouldn't get breakage. Do you press your hair at all? /images/graemlins/look.gif

hey girl welcome to LHCF /images/graemlins/wave.gif

glad that u've joined us, another person to seek hair advice from copy products from /images/graemlins/smile.gif (i think my pjritis is not under control like i hoped /images/graemlins/blush.gif )anyway, about yo tangles, there is absolutly no need to cut yo hair coz u got tangles! what u need to do is try to detangle it usin a wide toothed comb personally my hair untangles better with conditioner, so u cud use a detangling conditioner to do this.....u may aslo wanna evaluate yo regime so u kno what causes these tangles, like wen u wash, do u rub yo hair wen washin and dryin?? coz this causes my hair to tangle

ngaa /images/graemlins/drunk.gif hth

edited to say try blotting instead wen dryin

Hi Spicyc30, /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Welcome to the forum. Actually both relaxed and natural hair can suffer from those knots. If you believe that you will experience breakage with applying a relaxer maybe it would be good to take a look at the products you are using. May I ask what products you are using to maintain your hair? You may need products to soften and detangle the hair, that way you can still enjoy your natural look and press every once in a while when you become bored. Are knots the only problem that you are experiencing?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
what u need to do is try to detangle it usin a wide toothed comb personally my hair untangles better with conditioner, so u cud use a detangling conditioner to do this.....u may aslo wanna evaluate yo regime so u kno what causes these tangles, like wen u wash, do u rub yo hair wen washin and dryin?? coz this causes my hair to tangle

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are good recommendations Ngaa. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Welcome to the board, Spicy!

I'm a natural-turned-relaxer-turned-natural-turned-relaxer person. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif The last time I was natural (4 years ago or so) My hair (3b/c) was thick and soft but I got tired of the twists and cornrows. I didn't want dreads or locks and I hated pressing. But here's a tip: Please make sure you go to a hairstylist who is GOOOOD when you relax your natural hair. I was fortunate to have one (w/ lovely long carrot-colored hair) who was also a Mizani freak. I only went to her because a friend's gorgeous hair spoke for itself. When I got there ALL her clients had long hair. And she spends all her time with her clients until each is done. Well, my relaxer (plus trim) was to die for! I'll never forget that. but... she moved out of state. I went to some other stylists that weren't as good and I started slipping, until recently.

I wish you the best with that first perm!!

I've pressed my hair a couple times but it didn't last because of the humidity. I live in the caribbean. But do you think that would help?

When I wash, I use the honey/olive oil treatment, the acv rinse, Creme of Nature's detangling shampoo(but I'm looking for another one), and ORS Hair Mayo. I just started using Cd's Hair Butter to twist with and the hair milk to moisturize from time to time. I'll be honest. I don't moisturize as much as I should. It seems as though the daily moisturizer products absorb my hair and leave my hair dry after a one day! I tried that Hollywood Olive Oil Creme, but it didn't seem to do a good job. Should I have to apply moisturizer everyday, even if it's a good product?

Hi Spicyc30,

Pressing can be a great alternative to a relaxer if you're a little apprehensive about chemicals. Extreme heat and extreme cold can cause dry hair which leads to excess breakage, so if you are serious about getting a relaxer, you should plan on a good moisturizing routine for your hair. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

You know Laela, I am so afraid of my hair being overprocessed when it is time to get it permed. A few years ago when my hair was relaxed, I decided to put it in braids for a year. I had alot of new growth. When the hairdresser permed my natural hair(along with my processed hair), she apparently didn't leave it on long enough because when I shampooed it a week later, it hauled up like it wasn't completely permed. She then repermed it a couple weeks later, my entire head. So you can imagine what eventually happened. After six months, I had to get it all chopped off because it was dropping so badly. I will die if that were to happen again!

considering that u got experience wit bad hairdressers u may want to make sure that the lady (or guy) u finally trust wit yo hair has customers whose hair is gorgous coz thats always a good sign and look at how her hair looks...1 more thing tho, do u have a relative that is hair-aware coz they cud do yo hair properly, my mum used to relax my hair and the one time she was too busy i went and fried it /images/graemlins/nono.gif

if u havent found anyone u can trust wit yo hair then u may want to wait till u do coz u dont wanna be in the same situation that u found yoslef in 4 yrs ago /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ngaa /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Welcome to the board Spicyc30 /images/graemlins/wave.gif I don't have an answer for you, but that is a good question. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A good stylist always relaxes only the new growth. Those who don't need a good /images/graemlins/hammer.gif I can't stress making sure you get a person who cares for their clients' hair as much as they do their own. They're rare but out there.

I know what you mean about the humidity at home. I've been through it all -- over processing/ underprocessing/ breakage, you name it -- all before I graduated high school! Still, we Caribbean folks always do take care of our hair and have all the magical potions at our disposal. I was either /images/graemlins/nuts.gif or just was lazy back then.

That's why I think it's important to develop a regimen that works for you and that you can do without the help (except for touchups) of a professional. I used to do the weekly/biweekly visits and was always BROKE! I figure, invest those same $$$$ into products I've researched and found works for my hair type. Hair care really is a journey... You're in the right place! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

OH, and I second Pebbles' advice: moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!

You know, I've thought about trying to perm it myself. Is it really that difficult to do? Or does it just take practice?
Thanks everyone for welcoming me. By the way, what do those numbers in red that are next to the topics on the main index board mean?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
When I wash, I use the honey/olive oil treatment, the acv rinse, Creme of Nature's detangling shampoo(but I'm looking for another one), and ORS Hair Mayo. I just started using Cd's Hair Butter to twist with and the hair milk to moisturize from time to time. I'll be honest. I don't moisturize as much as I should. It seems as though the daily moisturizer products absorb my hair and leave my hair dry after a one day! I tried that Hollywood Olive Oil Creme, but it didn't seem to do a good job. Should I have to apply moisturizer everyday, even if it's a good product?

[/ QUOTE ]

Another good detangling and moisturizing shampoo is African Formula Curl Maintenance Shampoo. I have Carol's Daughter's Hair Butter also but the beeswax in it seemed to make my hair dryer so I switched to Ebene's Shea Butter Hair and Scalp Conditioner which really works great.

I usually moisturize everyday by doing conditioner washes because I had the same effect with those cream products. Another thing that really worked is applying Jojoba oil to my wet hair after I scrunch.

Back