Going Blonde For Him?

Would any of you ladies hi-lite or dye your hair blonde if your man really wanted you to? If you knew your hair was in good condition and could handle the process, would you do it?

I have questions about your question. Why are you asking this question? Is it because you were asked or because you just wanted to know what we would say on this board? I gotta be honest just thinking of that question and presenting it here I would have had some idea what the majority of the ladies here would think.

Now for my answer to your question. I would not do this no matter how healthy my hair is. That includes hi-lights, It is not for me, that is the short answer.

Advice, if you want to do this or have been contemplating hi lighting or bleaching your hair and now your man also thinks it is a good idea then that is a different situation. But to do this solely for him seems a little suspect IMO and deserves some more investigation as to why he would ask you to do this.

If it is him asking, he didn't ask you to put on a wig but to change a part of you which I am sure like the rest of us you are emotionally attached to on levels I don't think any one who is not a woman of color could understand.

Just some food for thought and I hope I did not offend by asking the questions. Just wanting to understand what is behind asking the question.

:bighug:

Last edited:
No, definitely wouldn't.

I would never do any sort of permanent, drastic change to my hair for another person.:nono:

No. I agree with most of the ladies on the board.

I have an issue with black women "going blonde", but I think out of respect for you and your wishes, I will keep my opinions to myself. Plus, you didn't ask what I thought of blonde hair, but would I blonde it to please my man.

I think the fact that SO would ask that would stem from a number of things; things I don't feel so good about. I would ask myself the following questions.

1) Does he want me to resemble a white woman? Will looking more white make me more desirable? If so, we have a problem :nono:
2) Exactly WHO is he attempting to have me look like? He must be comparing me to someone. There is another problem. :nono:
3) He is not satisfied with the way that I look. Maybe I need to consider my choice of men. :nono:

Looking at all the cons of highlighting ones hair (especially that long head of hair you have), I wouldn't begin to even ponder or entertain tha idea of damaging the tresses I have consistently maintained.

Blonde wouldn't look good on my anyway, as a matter of fact IMHO, it doesn't look good on most women, including white women. I have NEVER seen a black woman look good in blone. EVER. But, I am young and maybe my life will afford me the opportunity.

Thanks for the advice ladies. Long story short, I always had lighter hair(golden/copper/blondish hi-lites) until I started my hair journey in 2004. I personally prefer lighter hair on me, but I do like my hair dark as well.

We were looking at old pictures and he really liked my hair hi-lited like that..as do I. I would never fully color my hair blonde...it would not be cute on me. I was just asking a question to see if any of you all had done that for a man. I wouldn't do it solely for a man..no matter who he was.

I might. I mean, not BLONDE highlights, she did say highlights, not full color. Blonde wouldn't compliment my skin tone at all, but looking at the OP's question as "would you highlight your hair if your man really wanted..." and taking into consideration the current condition of my tresses and the fact that I now know how to take care of my hair, my answer is probably.

Honestly, IMO, I think most of us WOULD highlight our hair to please our men....(I will leave it at that.)

OT: sometimes the PC-ness of LHCF bugs me...:perplexed

Last edited:
Absolutely not! About 5 years ago, I went in for highlights and ended up with all over color. My dh said he liked it, so I went back for some highlights (all to please him), but ended up with uneven ends and dry hair (you can see the color in my profile pic). I don't think my hair has ever sustained that much damage. I know part of it was due to the fact that I was still blow drying and flat ironing. Maybe a little color would not hurt now, but as of today, I am not willing to take that chance. I may go with a reddish brown toward the summer, but I am not sure.

As for blond...um, never! :nono:

Thanks for the advice ladies. Long story short, I always had lighter hair(golden/copper/blondish hi-lites) until I started my hair journey in 2004. I personally prefer lighter hair on me, but I do like my hair dark as well.

We were looking at old pictures and he really liked my hair hi-lited like that..as do I. I would never fully color my hair blonde...it would not be cute on me. I was just asking a question to see if any of you all had done that for a man. I wouldn't do it solely for a man..no matter who he was.

I wouldn't do it because I don't think I would look good first of all, also my SO would KILL me, because I asked him one time and he looked at lik eme like I had lost it!!! Also one time I had 2 blond hi-lites in the front ( I think I was trying to emulate one of the girls on like the first x-men!!!youth!!!) but let me tell you this...if YOU think you look sexy and it builds YOUR confidence and you know the results then go ahead and GET EM GIRL!!!

I would not because I would not want to risk the potential damage or deal with the extra upkeep.

Last edited:
Simply NO.. I had my hair streaked with highlights while in college and that didn't work, my hair just could not take that dye no matter how much TLC was givin to it and broke off really bad :blush:.... Maybe wig or weave but no permanent coloring...

I would not. :nono:
Blonde is so extreme. I see it as excessive stress on the precious strands.

Maybe if there was some kind of trade off. Like I'd get the highlights if he'd grow his hair out a little and wear a chunky fro for awhile. But generally speaking, no I wouldn't.

I'll do a lot of things to please hubby but I would have to draw the line there! I don't care . . . that's just too much damage! Never. What kind of question is this anyway? Are you facing such a situation? If so, don't do it.

Nope.

I hate Blonde hair. It's fine on others, but not on me. I love my hair being very dark. The darker the better!!!

:yep:Ditto! There's nothing more sexy than rich black hair (curly or strait, long or short)

Blond hair often looks cheap and skanky...

I was thinking of hi-lites like this..

kenhilites.jpg

The first time I saw this pic on the Curve website I was in awe, I think it's pretty..and she manages to still look classy. I was trying to broaden the scope of the question by asking if anyone had ever dyed their hair for a man. I am not that naive to do it just for a man, but I have been saying for years (even on this site) that I miss my lighter colored hair.

My hair has been jet black for over 4 years now and I am kind of needing change. I like to enjoy my hair, I'm not going to be bunning or protective styling to reach waistlength in record time. I don't mind taking risks because I know I have the tools and knowledge to get my hair back to a healthy state if something happens. The fact that my SO liked my hair lighter does give me a little more push to do it...oh well.

No never, I tried it once and even though I was careful it still fell out. Thank God I only had highlights so it wasn't bad

Back