Glaze/Rinse/Cellophane for Shiny Hair: Which Do You Like Best?

Best Glaze/Rinse/Cellophane for Shine?

• John Frieda Luminous Clear Glaze

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Sebastian Cellophane

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Frederic Fekkai Salon Glaze

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Ouidid Shine Hair Shine Glaze

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Colorshowers Cellophane

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 25 35.7%

• Total voters
I got the JF glaze in my hair now and I will report back after I wash it out

BTW I am a mix 4a in back 4b everywhere else natural

sent from iPhone so please excuse shortness

UPDATE.....

I just finished washing, detangling, tea rinse + dcing MY HAIR FEELS LIKE BUTTAH:) My comb sliced through it without product (I was just making parts to apply leave in, butter, and unpetro jelly to make easier when I do cornrows after it dries) I will have to try this again next week

UPDATE......
Hair was mostly dry this morning after sitting under the dry last night for 1hr at 45degrees. It was crazy easy to part. I was going to do braids but I decided to wait until it was completely dry so they would look very neat:) Instead I did a braided headband to protect the edges and low bun.

Last edited:
Oh great timing OP. I'm thinking of gettin Sebastian Cellophanes for my anniversary next week. This has just tipped into buy mode.

I'm sitting w/ Stoken cellophane (clear) mixed w/ Silicone Mix under the dryer now. I've never mixed it w/ conditioner before, but I got the idea from a post a day or so ago that gave credit to Ebony Majesty on YT.

how exactly are you ladies using these products? i found some JF luminous clear glaze today in CVS and picked it up to see if it would do anything for my natural hair. is it best to mix it in with a DC (I'd be using steam/heat) or to use it alone (and if so, at what stage in your wash process)? thanks so much!

^^^bump...i think im going to pick up a glaze. probably the john frieda one. i'd like to know how you guys use it also

I voted for Sebastian Cellophanes because one of my former beauticians used it on my hair (and I used to order it online until I was told it was discontinued), and it seemed like it grew an inch a month with me doing virtually nothing. She was great, but scissor happy!

I would love to check out beauty of new york's site to see if they have it; I used to use Coffee Brown...

**slaps inner pj across the face so she will sit down and stop getting excited**
:lachen:

ETA: I don't waste time :); here is the link to the new Sebastian Laminates color:
http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/CEQ9270808KL1041.htm

Last edited:
I got the JF glaze in my hair now and I will report back after I wash it out

BTW I am a mix 4a in back 4b everywhere else natural

sent from iPhone so please excuse shortness

UPDATE.....

I just finished washing, detangling, tea rinse + dcing MY HAIR FEELS LIKE BUTTAH:) My comb sliced through it without product (I was just making parts to apply leave in, butter, and unpetro jelly to make easier when I do cornrows after it dries) I will have to try this again next week

UPDATE......
Hair was mostly dry this morning after sitting under the dry last night for 1hr at 45degrees. It was crazy easy to part. I was going to do braids but I decided to wait until it was completely dry so they would look very neat:) Instead I did a braided headband to protect the edges and low bun.
Did you go with the weekly treatment instructions or the daily use one?

Hmm - I'm natural and its time again to cover my grey strands with henna but I ran out so I'm wondering about an alternative. I try to use all natural products but I often fall short (I'm not perfect). Anyone know the pH rating of these products or if they have harmful ingredients?

Hmm - I'm natural and its time again to cover my grey strands with henna but I ran out so I'm wondering about an alternative. I try to use all natural products but I often fall short (I'm not perfect). Anyone know the pH rating of these products or if they have harmful ingredients?

Let me know if you try a colored glaze. I'm curious if they would cover greys.

Did you go with the weekly treatment instructions or the daily use one?

O MY I am soo sorry I did not see your question until now. I mixed it with conditioner and got under the dryer like normal dc. I am not sure which instructions that was.

Anyone else use the John Frieda glaze? Do you all mix it with deep conditioner? Do you use another conditioner after? I'm trying to figure out where to fit it in my regimen. TIA!

I've used John Frieda glaze and honestly I am not that impressed so I want to try something else. Maybe a dominican cellophane

Can you use glosses ans cellophanes after a relaxer? I know its not good to color and relax on the same day, so I just want to know if that rule applies to these glazes, glosses, etc.

Can you use glosses ans cellophanes after a relaxer? I know its not good to color and relax on the same day, so I just want to know if that rule applies to these glazes, glosses, etc.
You can absolutely use them on the same day as a relaxer touch up, after the relaxer the hair cuticles are open and it seems like the color deposits easier. Cellophanes/glosses only deposit color, they won't lift or bleach- which makes them safe to use post relaxer.

I use Color Showers and I love it. My natural hair color is a funky color, so I mix Negro and Marron, and it makes my hair look so healthy and shiny. I have purchased Stoken Gold, but have not tried that brand yet.

I've been using the Salon Glaze lately. The shine seems to increase the more I use it - me likey!

You can absolutely use them on the same day as a relaxer touch up, after the relaxer the hair cuticles are open and it seems like the color deposits easier. Cellophanes/glosses only deposit color, they won't lift or bleach- which makes them safe to use post relaxer.

I use Color Showers and I love it. My natural hair color is a funky color, so I mix Negro and Marron, and it makes my hair look so healthy and shiny. I have purchased Stoken Gold, but have not tried that brand yet.

Thanks for the info!

I’ve not only used the JF Glaze, but also the Redken Shades EQ Demi-Permanent Color Gloss and Kiss Express Semi-Permanent Hair Color and the Kiss Express outperformed the other two with its effects lasting the longest despite frequent co-washing – it covered my few grays very well, and it gave my hair a rich, black shine that didn’t dull as time progressed. I would strongly advise not applying the JF Glaze and Kiss Express too frequently since they behave like a protein; I foolishly did this with the JF Glaze and wound up with dry, dull, hard hair.

Still, I’m interested in trying the black Cellophane though.

Just tried the John Freida Luminous Color Glaze in Brilliant Brunette and I used my AO GPB w/ hemp seed oil for a moisturizing DC. I blow dried on cool setting, applied Elasta QP Olive Oil & mango butter on my ends, wrapped with Saran wrap sat under hooded dryer 15 min allowed hair to cool and here is the result:

320fc438-3789-5f2d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ETA: Today was my first time using JF, the pkg suggests to repeat 2 to 3 times a week to see a fuller effect...so the jury is still out on if this is the one or not...I do however want to try Stoken Gold's Original Colors in Rojo Vino (red wine) :yep::lick:

Last edited:

Would you mind giving us an update after you use this?I was thinking about trying it.

When I use to use glazes the John Frieda one was the best for me.

Back in the day (especially when i was pressed in the '90s/early '00) I loved Sebastian Cellophanes, but since they changed the formula and the name several years ago, it hasn't been the same.

Beyond The Zone gloss from Sally's is great. It's the only one I ever used, so I can't compare, but I never felt the need to look elsewhere. Mixed it with my dc's and got awesome results. :grin:

So i have had Kim Vo Brilliant shine sitting in my closet FOREVER. Yall have me curious to see how it works now

@Victorian do you mix it with your DC? How do you use it?

Sometimes I mix it (actually I just used it a couple days ago and did it this way), but most of the time I use it exactly as directed (AFTER conditioning). It's sort of a pain since I have to get in and out of the shower a bunch of times, but when I'm willing to go through the trouble, that's when I get the best results.
Also, it really helps to just apply a thin coating evenly throughout your hair, rather than globbing it on and trying to spread it. I put some in a little bowl and use a tint brush to apply in sections, just like applying color or relaxer or something. Again, more work but better results.

Zuleika I've used John Frieda Clear Glaze and Colorshowers Cellophane in Black....

I prefer Colorshowers for sure. The pigment is deep. It takes a week or so for the color to stop running off the hair (or maybe I just co-wash to much) but its really a great cellophane.

Back