Giving Hair-Care Advice 2 other ethnic.......

honeycomb719

groups. How do you handle that?
I ask because I was asked 2day by a class mate of mine, who happens to be Arabic about relaxing her 10yr old daughters hair.
She has very curly hair, I would say probably a 3 or something, not sure but, she complains to me early that she dont know how to handle her oldest daughters hair, that as she describes as VERY NAPPY/KINKY, and she called to ask me if she was being charged too much by a stylist she was going to take her daughter to to have a kiddie relaxer done. She also, asked me if she should use a relaxer that is marketed towards Blacks.
At first I was doubt-founded, I didnt know what advice to give her, so I told her that 70 bucks was too much to pay for a relaxer for a 10year old, and IMO, I dont think she should relax at all.
Because she asked if I would do her daughters relaxer, when I told her that price was too steep. I'm thinking 2 myself (Hell Naw)
blush.gif

She, says she's looking for a solution that would give her more styling options for her daughter, and would cut out some of the stress from combing her hair during the summer months.
She, also mentioned that she dont have the same problems w/ her youngest daughter hair nor her own.
I asked her how had she been styling her hair previously, and she mentioned that the old methods of mousse, and gel is not taming her hair anymore, and her hair remains to look unkept after shes done.
I really felt bad for her, because she told me that the stylist in her neighborhood was not familiar w/ ethnic hair and she had to venture out to find a black stylist to get her question answered about her daughters hair.

So, has anyone here been placed in a situation like this b4, or how would you have handled this plea for haircare advice?

I had the same situation in which a hispanic lady asked me what she should put in her hair to get it straight. Now her hair was curly, as curly as mine, but her texture was completely different. She asked me if she should put a relaxer in her hair. I had no idea. I know that the directions on some perm are in English and Spanish. I think they have certain perms for that texture of hair by Oligive(or something like that).

She mentioned something about mybe doing a perm w/ xtra large rods, but i gave no comment on that, because I wanted to be very cautious about anything i said, because if something was to go wrong w/ her daughters hair, I dont want her looking a me, like well you suggested it....

I would have asked her what specific issues she has with her daughter's hair and offered very specific advice. Alternatively, I would have sent her over to naturallycurly and recommended she read the Curly Girl book by Lorraine Massey.

I get asked for hair tips by friends of all races. It's cool.

I girl I used to work with had a daughter who was biracial, she was Caucasian, baby daddy, African American, her daughter ended up with head lice, which she shouldn't have had anyway, if she knew how to take care of her daughter's hair, I told her she needed to grease her daughter's scalp so she wouldn't get lice, she just cut all her daughter's hair off, and found someone to put individuals in her hair, she commented to me on how different her daughter looked with the braids in her hair. Her daughter was crying after her mother cut all her hair off.

Back