Girl let me tell you...

delitefulmane

What my beautician told me!! After asking what I put on my hair to combat dryness, she told me that real body lotion will do the trick. Im glad she didn't she my expression cause I was like:ohwell::nono:!! I respect my elders but :look:!!

Also natural ladies when you get your hair done at a salon, does your stylist put anything on your hair before goin under the dryer? well mine didn't and my hair felt dryer than it ever does when I do it . I know it was because she didn't put anything on it!!

HEY!! Be on the look out for my progress pics...
I have them but I can't update until I go back to school!!

Last edited:
I've used lotion to moisturize. I think there's even a thread somewhere on here about moisturizing with vaseline intensive moisture lotion.

OP, what do you get done to your hair at the salon? Sounds like a stupid question, but since I went natural, I have not stepped into a salon once. Everyone seems to be to scared to touch my hair, and then I am also scared that they may mess it up by doing just what your beautician did to you, not heat protectant, etc. But I really miss the pampering of a salon treatment too...

ETA: I like your siggy!!

THanx tigerlily...like the name!! But I got a press out! She did use a heat protectant but that was when she was pressing it and not when she dried it!! THats why I wanted to know is this crazy or what?

Thanks girl! Yeah that does not sound good, but what I have found is that a lot of beauticians are not used to working with natural heads all that much, so they probably wouldn't know many good practices for working with natural hair. What they do may be good for relaxed hair, but those same techniques can kill natural curls and texture. Maybe if you *calmly* suggest next time or ask if she could use something while your under the dryer as well as when she is pressing you. I say calmly or nicely because you certainly don't want to upset or offend her :blush:

As far as the body lotion goes, unfortunately a lot of beauticians,in my experience, have a lot of suggestions that make me scratch my head and say hmmm... and on the same note, I can go to another stylist, ask the same question and they can tell me a completely different answer! :perplexed Its either one or the other. I think you have to discern between proffesional advice and pure opinion.

I've also read about people putting moisturizers in their hair. I mean, if I can put horse stuff on my hair why not lotion? LOL

OP, I also love your siggie! Great job! Did you use Photoshop?

Tigerlily21, I used to go to the salon every week. Just in 2008 alone I think I went 3 times. My stylist looked at me like oh no here she comes with her nappy self LOL
My response? I bought a Chi flatiron and straighten my own hair.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=173511

^^That's one of them. Like most products, it worked well for some, not so much for others lol.

My hair dresser never put anything on it while drying it. Just some extra virgin olive oil when she was done. My hair always came out silky and wasn't dry. I haven't been in over a year since I discovered the boards. I think I'm going to have to go back and see what she used on my hair lol.

I've also read about people putting moisturizers in their hair. I mean, if I can put horse stuff on my hair why not lotion? LOL

OP, I also love your siggie! Great job! Did you use Photoshop?

Tigerlily21, I used to go to the salon every week. Just in 2008 alone I think I went 3 times. My stylist looked at me like oh no here she comes with her nappy self LOL
My response? I bought a Chi flatiron and straighten my own hair.

Me too!! I love my Chi! I have the wee chi and get right to the roots. When mine broke, I ordered the generic one from the people that repair the Chi when it breaks. It is the same exact iron, made by the chi folks. Cost about $80 bucks back when the Chi was running at $120-150. Now let me get outta here and quit hijacking delitefulmane's thread!!

I do put body lotion sometimes, usually when I am away from home, and don't have hair moisturizers, it actually feels really good on my hair

I definitely think that a lot of hair dressers don't know much about hair care, I have never had one ask me about what I do to my hair or use on a regular basis or suggest an entire regime for me and when I was relaxed I stayed at the hair dressers. This is why I am so afraid to go now. Last time I went I got a press which broke of the middle of my head which started me on the journey I am currently on.

As for lotion, I haven't used it but this has been used by LHCF ladies. I know Pokahontas has used or does use it and that is enough for me to claim it as legit.

Nothing wrong with using lotion. Hair is just an extension of skin. So pretty much that's why a lot of skin and hair products have the same ingredients. It's just marketing.

I agree with hairdressers (even those who do natural hair) have no clue about how to really take care of it properly, much less style it. I asked my regular stylist for a straw set, and she replied that I would have to PUT in hair for it to be done.

ITA. If it can be used on your skin why not your hair? I would only be concerned about shine and softness on my hair but I would definitely try body lotion on my hair.

There is at least one member, pokahontas, that I know of that uses Vaseline Intensive Care body lotion as a moisturizer. I think she is natural also.

yes it's true, I use a lotion called Cera?? I have to look at the name of it when I get home. It cost about $12 and it has ceramides in it and draws and traps moisture in the skin and I would say my hair too.

yes it's true, I use a lotion called Cera?? I have to look at the name of it when I get home. It cost about $12 and it has ceramides in it and draws and traps moisture in the skin and I would say my hair too.

Are you talking about CeraVe? I use that on my son because he has eczema and it works great. He hasn't had a flare up since I started using it.

I've used Vaseline Instensive Care Total moisture on my hair. The ingredients are just as good as most moisturizers. Not all body lotions would work for the hair, but the ingredients are good.

Back