Getting offended that others think your hair is a weave...

I love it when people assume that I wear a weave. One of my most famous stories is I was in an Anna's Linen and I could hear these women on the other aisle arguing. One was saying that is not that girl's hair and the other one was saying I do believe it is. I hit the corner with my basket and told them "yes it's all me" they couldve just about died:blush:. I smiled and kept shopping.

I heard that same argument on the bus by two teenagers.

I am actually hiding my hair until I hit BSL or MBL, because when I finally do wear my hair out, I WANT people in my family to think its a weave. Last time anyone saw my hair was when it was neck length...can you imagine seeing my hair go from NL to MBL? They would swear up and down that its a weave and with all the smugness in the world I'll say- nope, all me!

IMO the "offendedness" comes from when people assume that just because you're black, you can't have long hair. In my experience, other black women are the worst at making this assumption.
The worst is when their eyes start to glaze over when you try to tell them a little about your regimen and at the end they say something ignorant like, "Oh, well you must have some xyz in you because that wouldn't work on me," or "Oh, well I don't have time for all that."
Don't get me wrong, there are a LOT of sisters interested in proper hair care, and I have successfully converted many into Niko's cousins (and a few white and latina sisters) :yep:
But the women who end up disregarding my spiel about proper hair care are almost always other black women.

I love it when people assume that I wear a weave. One of my most famous stories is I was in an Anna's Linen and I could hear these women on the other aisle arguing. One was saying that is not that girl's hair and the other one was saying I do believe it is. I hit the corner with my basket and told them "yes it's all me" they couldve just about died:blush:. I smiled and kept shopping.

I love this story! The icing on the cake :fairy: would have been if u had a LHCF bsns card to hand them.

I am sooooo looking forward to my first weave check :grin:

I'm happy when someone asks if my hair is a weave! It's not long, but it looks somewhat fake after a relaxer. I attached a pic...

Attachments

• Apr 09 relaxer.jpg
    Apr 09 relaxer.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 39
My hair hasn't never been super long. APL was my longest. I would try to bun most of the time but sometimes I would switch it up by wrapping my hair into a chigon-like shape and securing it with a clip. It was too thick to just stick a butterfly clip on it.

I was once on the bus with my headphones on, getting off at the back, and I heard this white girl say to her male friend, "Nice granny hair." She then goes, "What's the point of getting a weave if you're going to wear it like that?"

It obviously bothered me somewhat if I still remember it. I guess it kind of felt like a racist comment to assume that all black girls sport weaves.

This irks me. At least you can respect the people who have the courage (or the temerity?) to approach a person about an issue that directly concerns them. Even if someone is rude when they approach me about my hair at least that person went to the source and didn't speculate about it in a full blown conversation on the sidelines with another person in a public setting when they think I have bricks for ear drums!

And don't get me started on the ones who just straight up invite themselves to play massage therapist with their potentially dirty fingers all up in a scalp. It's like...okay, you're curious, I understand that. But was it really necessary to violate my personal space, especially without my consent? Is it that serious? Not to mention the entire situation is painfully awkward.

Sure, anyone can make it their business to find out if my hair is real or not, but I'm down to check anyone who crosses that line.:rolleyes:

Right! But I wasn't offended or upset. It was actually amusing that as black women, they couldn't believe that another black woman could take such good care of my hair. My stylist is right next to the store I was in, I had just got a roller wrap, so it was nice and bouncy! I loved it!

I love this story! The icing on the cake :fairy: would have been if u had a LHCF bsns card to hand them.

I am sooooo looking forward to my first weave check :grin:

You know this is a good idea! lol!!:lachen: I think I may print alot of little cards up and pass them out when I get the "Is that your hair" question. :rolleyes:

Yep two caucasian co workers asked me within days of one another if my hair was real. They mustve had a discussion about it....ha..

I was once asked, Is that a wig? I replied no. The asker's hair was jacked the he\\ up. No, I wasn't offended. I often find the weave checkers need help in the 'how to healthy hair dept'.

well it's annoying because its stereotypical connotations

plus some ppl don't just assume

they weave check

I use to think that they were assuming that most black peoples hair was a weave because the hair was long. But I believe that is not most cases, they are assuming because of how lucious and shiny and healthy the hair is. Even shoulder and neck length women are being asked. I have a lady that goes to my church her hair is WL, but no one assumes her hair is a weave and that is because it is none of the above, the hair is dry, stiff, damaged and kinda see through.

As for a specific weave check IMO that is very rude, but I am not talking about that...

Maybe it's just me, but I think it is rude to ask someone if she is wearing a weave. I would NEVER ask someone that. I might tell her she has nice hair and ask where she got it done. If she is being honest, she will tell me the origin of her hair.

Yeah it is rude and I personally would never ask, but as I went through the progress pics thread and saw all the pictures of shiny lucious hair, I actually could understand why so many would think it was.

I'm happy when someone asks if my hair is a weave! It's not long, but it looks somewhat fake after a relaxer. I attached a pic...

That is a prime example of what I am talking about. It has nothing to do with length, the hair is shiny and healthy. I don't see lots of people, even non black people with healthy looking hair.

My stepdad (whom I don't live with) recently thought my twistout was a wig...funny he would have never said if i didn't bring it up lol I was flattered...unless he thought it was a cheap wig :)

Ok! Why did my BF text me today and say that he was in a corner store and his words "Why did a lil ghetto broad appoach me and was like, "Thats yo gal? That dark girl with the long weave" ...He said he was like yeah that's me and that's her hair, not a weave." He said she had the nerve to turn her nose up and say "oh" He is now down with the long hair journey. He said it made him poke his chest out a little bit. He's so easy!

I don't get offended, I just don't like touching. The best time was when my TWA got weave checked. I couldn't believe it. She was nice and it helped her to see natural hair can do a lot.

I got weave checked by various family member when my hair was BSL. I do think it's more of health. Before my HHJ my hair stayed at SL and a little longer, but it was always dull, dry, and fried. When it was healthy and shiny I understood the questions.

Back