Getting My Hair Shaped/Trimmed

knt1229

Hello Ladies,

I will be going to a stylist on Saturday for the first time since 2008 when I started transitioning. Whew...that's a mighty long time. Just like many folks I have had my share of bad salon experiences and I am looking for some tips on how to make this experience reasonably pleasant as well as some tips on what shapes/styles will look good when my type 4 hair is curly and when it's straight.

Pics would be greatly appreciated.

Be prepared from the stylist to give you a haircut. After several months without a trim/cut for myself, I've had at least 4 to 5 inches cut due to my own personal style. I had been natural for 17 months and did not like the shape of wash n gos. Now, I have a Bob Hairstyle. I love the back shorter and focus on front, sides, and crown. I love it, now I have to get the right hair color. I personally like, Dark Brown, but stylists seem to give me Lt Brown or Bronze. I'll be going in on Friday for another hair color surgery. :-)

India

Good luck on your "hair surgery". Yes, I am mentally trying to prepare for just about anything. I really want to keep my length, but, if I actually like the shape she gives me I probably wouldn't mind losing a few inches. Fingers crossed....I hope this girl does not scalp me.....:lol:

Well, I went to my appointment today and it was great. I was really surprised how easy and pleasant the whole experience was. I was skeptical at first for a lot of reasons. One reason was because I had/have the notion that folks don't know how to do natural hair and that stylist won't want to be bothered with it if it isn't a type 3. Well, the girl did a good job she was gentle with my hair and didn't rake and pull through it when combing it. That surprised me more than anything.

She washed and deep conditioned it. Then, blow dryed it, trimmed and shaped it, and finally curled it with a flat iron. It looked good. She is a new stylist so she needed some help from the owner to get the ends straight and to straighten the edges. She also got the owners advice on how to trim/shape and how much to take off. I appreciated the assistance from a more experienced stylist. I was able to keep my length and still got a much needed trim. She actually trimmed and didn't cut although a few inches were taken off, but, you can hardly tell it though.

After not going to a salon for 5 years I am so relieved that this was a such a pleasant experience.

Last edited:
Back