From Short to Past Shoulder WITHOUT heat - How did you do it?

well i am still short but must say it growing:D all i did was roller set and air dry and it always came out real nice i am in braids now but when i come out again i am never going back to heat cause it looks and feel like i use heat and all i use is a leave in and a little oil and hold the hair and keep it smooth and roll cant wait to do it again it even work with new growth i just use a little wildgrowth on the new growth it i think that one of the reason it started to grow because of no heat i had it cut in a way that at first you did not need rollers i just use my hand to bump it the next day but i will never cut it that short again to hard to grow out lol

Last edited:
baby42 said:
well i am still short but must say it growing:D all i did was roller set and air dry and it always came out real nice i am in braids now but when i come out again i am never going back to heat cause it looks and feel like i use heat and all i use is a leave in and a little oil and hold the hair and keep it smooth and roll cant wait to do it again it even work with new growth i just use a little wildgrowth on the new growth it i think that one of the reason it started to grow because of no heat

I just need to master the rollers. that is what I have been practicing. I cannot seem to get them tight enough.

When my hair was short, I would wash and conditon ( what ever your current ritual is now) then plait or braid my hair. I would use alot of leave in conditioners and a heavy hair dressing. Roll the ends. Once dry, I would finger the hair and use a nice head band or scarf, sport my hoop earrings and was good to go.

beauty said:
Is anyone using a headband to blend the 3/4 wig if so what kind of headband do you use?

I'm natural and I have a sraight one and just leave a little hair showing at the hairline. And I use a scraf.

RZILYNT said:
When my hair was short, I would wash and conditon ( what ever your current ritual is now) then plait or braid my hair. I would use alot of leave in conditioners and a heavy hair dressing. Roll the ends. Once dry, I would finger the hair and use a nice head band or scarf, sport my hoop earrings and was good to go.

sounds cute!

HoneyDew said:
I do use those, but I can never seem to use them unless my hair has been straightened - WITH HEAT. :perplexed

I wish that I had time to practice rollersets. I am so busy that when I do my hair, it needs to be DONE. I don't have time to go back and redo my hair, you know. All the times I tried rollersets in the past were so bad that I had to go back to start over to make my hair look decent for work.

I have lots of uneven hair. I hope that rollersets with get easier as my hair evens out.

I have this problem too. My hair is sweeping my shoulders, and I've gotten by with no heat by using pincurls. I just put in about 8 pincurls at night, keep them in for my morning workout and shower (without wetting my head of course). After I do my makeup, I fluff with my fingers the back and the crown and it comes out pretty well! Later I'll attach a pic so you can see the results--

skoloco said:
I have this problem too. My hair is sweeping my shoulders, and I've gotten by with no heat by using pincurls. I just put in about 8 pincurls at night, keep them in for my morning workout and shower (without wetting my head of course). After I do my makeup, I fluff with my fingers the back and the crown and it comes out pretty well! Later I'll attach a pic so you can see the results--

sound cute! I would love to see! :)

HoneyDew said:
I do use those, but I can never seem to use them unless my hair has been straightened - WITH HEAT. :perplexed

I wish that I had time to practice rollersets. I am so busy that when I do my hair, it needs to be DONE. I don't have time to go back and redo my hair, you know. All the times I tried rollersets in the past were so bad that I had to go back to start over to make my hair look decent for work.

I have lots of uneven hair. I hope that rollersets with get easier as my hair evens out.

i feel you. i hate to redo my hair and i feel like i manipulated my hair a lot and i wasted product, but i was reading this thread earlier and decided to rollerset my hair. my hair is still damp on the ends in certain spots so i might get under my soft bonnet dryer, so it can be dry so i can see the outcome. if it comes out nice, then i will be doing this for now on. wish me luck!

shortdub78 said:
i feel you. i hate to redo my hair and i feel like i manipulated my hair a lot and i wasted product, but i was reading this thread earlier and decided to rollerset my hair. my hair is still damp on the ends in certain spots so i might get under my soft bonnet dryer, so it can be dry so i can see the outcome. if it comes out nice, then i will be doing this for now on. wish me luck!

Well I took the rollers out and it came out nice. It kinda has a forties look to it like Dorothy Danridge. But if you want to roller wrap, I suggest you rolled your hair under until it gets longer, because I rolled the sides upward and when I tried to wrap the sides started to flip. I like how I did it though and it will look better when the curls fall. I will stick with the rollersets for now on. I am so glad because I was lookin a hot mess trying not to use heat or anything else.

Last edited:
Well before I moved to Arizona my hair was 4 inches from my bra strap. I would wear my hair in buns, updo's, ponytails, phony tails and cornrows. I didn't use heat , but about twice a month and i would protect my ends with vaseline and a zip lock bag. I also was doing CW every other day and pooing once a week, but here in Az I was told that I shoukld wash my hair once a week. My hair broke off so bad when I moved here almost 2 years ago I've just done the BIG CHOP:( ! I'm also thinking of transitioning I haven't had a relaxer in 5 months. I'm sorry if this was off topic, but these are some of the things I use to do before the BIG CHOP!

I haven't used heat since August and I thank God for rollersetting. I use the rollers with the cover. I can use magnatic rollers and clip but it is so much easier with the magnatic rollers with the cover. I am now in the process of mastering the pin curl. This week I actually was able to do my hair last Saturday and it looked good all week with me pin curling my hair at night. Honeydrew, my hair also is uneven.

My cousin and I were just discussing this recently.. her hair is 2-2 1/2 inches away from the shoulder length goal she wants to reach by April. She asked me if it was possible and said yes. Can't your hair grow about 3 inches in 2 or so months?? Well, anyway I told her I would show her some cute styles where she wouldnt have to use heat and still be able to manage her hair everyday without the use of weaves? So I'd appreciate if some more lady with experience would comment... BUMP! :)

P.S. It is possible to get at least 2 in. of hair growth in 2 to 3 months right??

Back