From Short to Past Shoulder WITHOUT heat - How did you do it?

:.Krys.: said:
So when you wear these how do you actually blend your hair thats left out? Dont you have to use heat to curl it so it can be wavy/curly like the fake hair?

When I wear mine, the hair that's left out is straight. I don't use heat to curl it like the wig. I don't leave a lot of my hair out -- maybe like an inch around my hairline -- and brush it over the half wig. It blends pretty well.

I was doing weekly rollersets. Now, the rollersets will be reserved for special occasions (or my fall if I'm feeling lazy). I can now do an updo with my airdried hair so this is how I plan to grow it out until I hit bun length.

classimami713 said:
I was doing weekly rollersets. Now, the rollersets will be reserved for special occasions (or my fall if I'm feeling lazy). I can now do an updo with my airdried hair so this is how I plan to grow it out until I hit bun length.

Good idea!

bajanplums1 said:
For me it was finding the right conditioner which allowed my hair to air dry without getting tangled and a good leave in that moisturizes. The conditioner that I use to deep condition (paul mitchell) does not seem to be popular on the Board, but it works so well for my hair. Also I do not comb my hair when it is drying unless I am doing a wet rollerset (which I never do at all). Once my hair is dry, I add more leave ins to each section and then rollerset the dried hair. Having curls in my hair makes my hair cute to me. It has bounce. Almost every night I reapply leave in conditioner (right now Keraphix) on the ends and rollerset.

I think I maybe able to pull that one off if I use my Sidr Tree Butter Balm on wet hair as a leave in. I am going to try that!

With short hair, you can still roller set. When my hair was ear length, I would still roller set with the biggest rollers I could. Then, I would wrap it at night and I would have a cute bouncy bob the next day.

Oh Okaym, I understand being pressed for time. Have you tried Rod-sets? I cut my cousins hair down to 3 inches this summer and it's already shoulder length w/layers, but it has done a 360 in health. she has been wearing it in rodsets since school started, and at night she rods it back up to keep the curls fresh, or she'll do pincurls.

I also agree w/rollersetting the hair while dry, I do this sometimes and it cuts drying time to 15 min. Also updo's are great too.
HoneyDew said:
I do use those, but I can never seem to use them unless my hair has been straightened - WITH HEAT. :perplexed

I wish that I had time to practice rollersets. I am so busy that when I do my hair, it needs to be DONE. I don't have time to go back and redo my hair, you know. All the times I tried rollersets in the past were so bad that I had to go back to start over to make my hair look decent for work.

I have lots of uneven hair. I hope that rollersets with get easier as my hair evens out.

:.Krys.: said:
So when you wear these how do you actually blend your hair thats left out? Dont you have to use heat to curl it so it can be wavy/curly like the fake hair?

no heat. I put the wig fairly close to the front of my head so that not too much of my natural hair is out. I just finger blend it in. I dont need to use any heat at all. If i want it to be more slick down in the front I apply elasta QP mango butter to my edges then tie with a silk scarf for a few mins.

If my new growth is off the chain. I just tie a silk headband around the front of my hair. I let a little bit of my edges poke out because it looks more real that way

Last edited:
itismehmmkay said:
Um... :look: ...yeah, Lavendar.......GIRL, WHAT ARE YOU DOING???

Are you Surging and is that contributing to your growth? I hope so, b/c I just recently started back...and I would love to get your results

OT: Thanks ladies for the compliment! I am still surging. The Surge/WGO combination has been a staple for me from the beginning and the combo works wonders! I did do CW's in the beginning, but I stopped when I had a major shedding setback. It turned out my hair was extremely mushy from overconditioning and I lost a lot. I have to go back and check my hair journal, but I believe that was in month 5 or 6. BUT, I do have to give co-washing its props. During the time I was CW, my hair got thicker than its ever been. I had thin scraggly hair and I noticed it started to spread across my shoulders fairly quickly. I really believe if I had known how to maintain the protein/moisture balance, I wouldn't have gotten so scared of co-washing and have done so much damage. I actually have been thinking about doing it again now that I have my Apoghee nearby. Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack. PM me if you want more details or you can wait until I post one-year pics on Saturday!;)

When an evil hairdresser cut my bra-strap length hair to above shoulder(cried for days of course) but what I did was extreme hair care to gain back my length. I am one of those that believe less is more so I don't suffocate my hair with products or confuse it with changing up too much. And this is the same advice I told my friend who is now past shoulder length from being ear length for years.

1. Wash and deep condition every three days until your hair is looking like HAIR. After you have gotten to that soft healthy look you can go to once a week.

2. No blow-outs. Always rollerset and then wrap.

3. Never sleep with hair uncovered.

And I know that there are much better products out there but I swear by Nexxus. I love this product line immensely. And do not leave hair down.

This board is awesome because it did teach me some stuff also

Great thread! I'm neck/collarbone length and I'm really trying to get to full shoulder length this year. You guys gave some great tips! I typically just airdry in a ponytail or updo. I slap on a phony pony or fall once my hair is fully dry (takes a day or so to dry completely - I don't want the combs in my phony pony or half wig to damage my damp hair!). I have flexirod rollers, but I haven't actually tried doing a rod set. That's on my "to-do" list. Hmmmm....my mom is visiting for a few days; maybe I can have her cornrow my hair for a braidout? I can NOT braid my own hair, it looks a HAM!:lachen:

preciousjewel76 said:
Great thread! I'm neck/collarbone length and I'm really trying to get to full shoulder length this year. You guys gave some great tips! I typically just airdry in a ponytail or updo. I slap on a phony pony or fall once my hair is fully dry (takes a day or so to dry completely - I don't want the combs in my phony pony or half wig to damage my damp hair!). I have flexirod rollers, but I haven't actually tried doing a rod set. That's on my "to-do" list. Hmmmm....my mom is visiting for a few days; maybe I can have her cornrow my hair for a braidout? I can NOT braid my own hair, it looks a HAM!:lachen:

Your hair looks so pretty lady!!!

Okay, I took out several rows of my braids in the back a few days ago.

I shampooed and conditioned the area and let it airdry with my moisturizer and a serum. after it was dry, I just tucked it under the reast of the braids and put the braids in a bun.

I have to say - that area of hair was straight (but thicker than if I had flatironed) this morning when I check on it. :eek: NO HEAT! I NEED to be able to do that with all of my hair. :ohwell:

sexyaqr said:
When an evil hairdresser cut my bra-strap length hair to above shoulder(cried for days of course) but what I did was extreme hair care to gain back my length. I am one of those that believe less is more so I don't suffocate my hair with products or confuse it with changing up too much. And this is the same advice I told my friend who is now past shoulder length from being ear length for years.

1. Wash and deep condition every three days until your hair is looking like HAIR. After you have gotten to that soft healthy look you can go to once a week.

2. No blow-outs. Always rollerset and then wrap.

3. Never sleep with hair uncovered.

And I know that there are much better products out there but I swear by Nexxus. I love this product line immensely. And do not leave hair down.

This board is awesome because it did teach me some stuff also

Minus, the rollerset (only because I am still trying to master these enough to make them look decent), even with shampooing and deep condition often and ALWAYS covering hair at night, I still find the need to flatiron my hair after air-drying if I want to wear my hair out. My hair is healthy and I don't have problems with dryness or anything. My biggest problems are uneven hair amd some underprocessing. I feel that I need to cut heat in order to speed up the time to grow out my layers. I am afraid to so a corrective relaxer. :perplexed

But, those are my issues :) I really want this thread to be for anyone with short hair trying to cut out heat. :)

HoneyDew said:
Your hair looks so pretty lady!!!

Thanks! That pic is my Bootcamp Starting Photo - I took it right after my most recent touch-up and flatiron. It's growing, but one side of my head is like a full inch longer than the other. It's annoying as h***!:lol:

What kind of braids do you have? I might invest in some for the summer. My hair does not like the humidity of Atlanta summers.

Rollersetting my hair really helped me stay away from direct heat. To keep up with the style I would alternate between using satin rollers, pincurls, or wrapping (alternating directions to avoid breakage on one side). When I airdried, I would keep it in a small bun or when my hair was dry the next day I used satin rollers. I used satin scarves as headbands to add some spice to the curly hair styles.

I think the reason my hair has grown so much is I don't use heat. When I was relaxed, I would roller set my hair and let it air dry. Heat and the chemicals together can be damaging for our hair. If you are using chemicals, I would limit the heat on your hair.

preciousjewel76 said:
Thanks! That pic is my Bootcamp Starting Photo - I took it right after my most recent touch-up and flatiron. It's growing, but one side of my head is like a full inch longer than the other. It's annoying as h***!:lol:

What kind of braids do you have? I might invest in some for the summer. My hair does not like the humidity of Atlanta summers.

I have the same problem!! But mine is worse. It is like 3-4 inches longer on one side :eek: I hope to even it out by July, even if I have to cut it.

I have some individuals in right now. They are not too thick so I can put them up. I wear it in a bun everyday.

I don't like the hair. It is too silky for me and seems to get dirty quickly. I am removing my braids tonight because I am going to get a sew-in on Wednesday.

I really miss touching and doing my own hair, but I need to keep my eyes on the prize. :orders: :armyhat: :)

Ambitious1013 said:
Rollersetting my hair really helped me stay away from direct heat. To keep up with the style I would alternate between using satin rollers, pincurls, or wrapping (alternating directions to avoid breakage on one side). When I airdried, I would keep it in a small bun or when my hair was dry the next day I used satin rollers. I used satin scarves as headbands to add some spice to the curly hair styles.

You have made so much progress!!I know I can get rollersetting down eventually.

I just can't seem to use the magnetic rollers w/o the cover. I can use the ones with the cover, though. I have tried wire and plastic mesh rollers and, although I can get them in, they are not in tight enough to get my hair straight. I may have to stick with the covered ones for now.

Country gal said:
I think the reason my hair has grown so much is I don't use heat. When I was relaxed, I would roller set my hair and let it air dry. Heat and the chemicals together can be damaging for our hair. If you are using chemicals, I would limit the heat on your hair.

I am trying hard!! I already cut out the blowdryer. I did use it a couple of times a few months ago, but I airdry all of the time. I just want to get away from my beloved FHI . :( I use it on shampoo days and I knwo there has to be a better way.

HoneyDew said:
I have the same problem!! But mine is worse. It is like 3-4 inches longer on one side :eek: I hope to even it out by July, even if I have to cut it.

I have some individuals in right now. They are not too thick so I can put them up. I wear it in a bun everyday.

I don't like the hair. It is too silky for me and seems to get dirty quickly. I am removing my braids tonight because I am going to get a sew-in on Wednesday.

Sorry about your braid issues! What type of hair did you use? I know Robin (the "Crown & Glory" lady) recommends Kanekalon or Toyokalon hair.

Hey Honey!

You already know what I'm going to say...

HIDING MY HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the only thing that could get me past my shoulders. I do agree that when you are shorter you feel more tempted to use heat to have a cute style. It's only after my last relaxer that I feel totally comfortable putting my hair in a bun or braided bun right after washing without using any heat. I feel more comfortable now wearing my hair like that because my hair is longer/thicker so the bun looks less...ummm...anorexic. Now before I was hiding my hair I tried my best to limit heat to 1x per week. But what really helped get me over the hurdle was hiding my ends and weaving worked best for me.

Don't worry you will get past your shoulders soon, I never thought I could get past them but look at my siggy...in just 8 months!

HTH

preciousjewel76 said:
Sorry about your braid issues! What type of hair did you use? I know Robin (the "Crown & Glory" lady) recommends Kanekalon or Toyokalon hair.

I bought some Sensationnal hair that was labeled Premium now a\Yaki. I think I got a bad batch. It is not Yaki. It is too silky for me.

RabiaElaine said:
Hey Honey!

You already know what I'm going to say...

HIDING MY HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the only thing that could get me past my shoulders. I do agree that when you are shorter you feel more tempted to use heat to have a cute style. It's only after my last relaxer that I feel totally comfortable putting my hair in a bun or braided bun right after washing without using any heat. I feel more comfortable now wearing my hair like that because my hair is longer/thicker so the bun looks less...ummm...anorexic. Now before I was hiding my hair I tried my best to limit heat to 1x per week. But what really helped get me over the hurdle was hiding my ends and weaving worked best for me.

Don't worry you will get past your shoulders soon, I never thought I could get past them but look at my siggy...in just 8 months!

HTH

I'm gonna try! I have an appointment to get a sew-in installed on Wenesday. I am excited. I am removing my braids tonight so I have a few days to play with my hair before hidign it again. :D

HoneyDew said:
I'm gonna try! I have an appointment to get a sew-in installed on Wenesday. I am excited. I am removing my braids tonight so I have a few days to play with my hair before hidign it again. :D

Watch the woman like a hawk! Are you doing vertical braids? I think they work best. Tell not to make your braids too tight either or small.

How long do you plan to leave the weave in? As you know I'm an advocate of no longer than 4-5 weeks (I'm following Reneice and it's working).

RabiaElaine said:
Watch the woman like a hawk! Are you doing vertical braids? I think they work best. Tell not to make your braids too tight either or small.

How long do you plan to leave the weave in? As you know I'm an advocate of no longer than 4-5 weeks (I'm following Reneice and it's working).

I have to leave them in longer. Too much $$$ :eek:

She told me that she does vertical or horizontal depending on the style a person wants. I am going to mention to her to give me vertical. I feel good about her. We had a consultation on Wednesday and I felt really good about it. I paid a downpayment and made an appointment. She actually told me about LHCF and I told her that I am a member here. She was telling me to go to the site and check it out and how well the tips work. I was like :eek: Based on our conversation, I don't think she signed up, but it was nice to know. I hope all goes well because I will use her services for 6 months to get me over the hurdle.

Last edited:
Ladies,

So many great tips here. I think i will try to do my own weave to get over this hurdle of (neck to shoulder length).

you ladies are truly the best.:p

I forgot about this thread.

Man, I cannot get braids or weaves to work!! :confused:

I need to really try getting rollersets down!! It seems to be my only option to cut down flat-iron use.

Back