From Short to Past Shoulder WITHOUT heat - How did you do it?

HoneyDew

I know many of us shorter-haired ladies need to cut out the heat so we can get past the shoulder length hurdle.

I just can't seem to get past using my flatiron after airdrying my hair!!!!:(

Right now I am in braids and I have not used heat which is good. Next I am going to try weaves. But is that all I can do?? I miss touching my own hair.

When you were short, what did you do to main cute styles without heat? Please give as many hints as possible.

Keep in mind that not all short haired ladies can do buns and rollersets (not cute ones, at least).

Honey - I know you'll get better answers than mine and from people who have much longer hair but here goes anyway. When my hair was supershort (halle better style), I would wash it twice a week and I would only curl it on wash days. After that I would tie down the sides to keep them smooth. The style lasted until wash day. My hair grew like crazy. I continued with that same pattern to ear length bob and chin length bob. At chin length I started bunning with phony buns and phony ponytails. If the nape was a little too short I would use a non alcohol gel to slick it up and tie wrap strips around it until it was set. This has worked for me. The pic below is my attempt at showing my length from chin length bob (july 06) to neck length (jan 07). In between this time I lightly trimmed a lot and did about a 1 inch cut when I relaxed on Monday.
Hope that helps.
before after.JPG

Last edited:
I'm in the same situation

I would like to know as well, what the other ladies did without heat

my hair is a little past shoulder length and I try to avoid heat as much as possible, that's why I don't have a lot of styles to do, because my hair is too short to rollerset it(I think rollerset's styles are more beautiful with long hair)

all I do is bunning and sometimes I wear phony ponies, I get bored with these styles.

I actually used heat when my hair was above shoulder length. But once it hit my shoulders I started bunning.

Yea when my hair was a halle berry cut, i couldnt help but to use heat. But there were times that when i washed my hair, I just wet wrapped it, tied it down with a silk scarf and let it air dry. Sometimes i would rock it fluffy like that without heat but when I did want to look cute, i used the curling iron to add curls. But i basically used heat until i had a bob and then I just would wet wrap it without curling with the curling iron. When it got long enough before I hit shoulder length, braidouts braidouts braidouts or the flexirods.

I wear (and still do) instant weaves or 3/4 wigs. I take them off every night so I can still moisturize and examine my hair, deep condition really well etc. I keep it braided (2big braids) or in a low bun underneath.

Also braidouts and rollersets are a good idea.

thanks for the tips ladies. So it looks like many of you still used heat until I got longer. I was able to do ONE good braid out and it was SO cute. I can repeat it for the life of me.

Cayenne0622 said:
Honey - I know you'll get better answers than mine and from people who have much longer hair but here goes anyway. When my hair was supershort (halle better style), I would wash it twice a week and I would only curl it on wash days. After that I would tie down the sides to keep them smooth. The style lasted until wash day. My hair grew like crazy. I continued with that same pattern to ear length bob and chin length bob. At chin length I started bunning with phony buns and phony ponytails. If the nape was a little too short I would use a non alcohol gel to slick it up and tie wrap strips around it until it was set. This has worked for me. The pic below is my attempt at showing my length from chin length bob (july 06) to neck length (jan 07). In between this time I lightly trimmed a lot and did about a 1 inch cut when I relaxed on Monday.
Hope that helps.
View attachment 3499

pretty!! :love:

JazzyDez said:
I wear (and still do) instant weaves or 3/4 wigs. I take them off every night so I can still moisturize and examine my hair, deep condition really well etc. I keep it braided (2big braids) or in a low bun underneath.

Also braidouts and rollersets are a good idea.

What are your favorite instant weaves and 3/4 wigs? I haev seen some that are too silky for my hair texture. Any yaki textured ones you could recommend?

I am in the same boat. I keep my hair hidden with protective style: weaves, phony ponies, braids and wigs. I plan to do this until I reach shoulder length. If my hair was out I would definetly use heat on it. Maybe you can try a wrap or rollerset.

OT: Cayenne, love your bob! :love:

HoneyDew said:
What are your favorite instant weaves and 3/4 wigs? I haev seen some that are too silky for my hair texture. Any yaki textured ones you could recommend?

Well my thing is I dont get the Straight ones. I get ones that are wavy/curly and they blend in better. my favorite is this one. Its by outre and its called "vera." Its also reversible! You can wear longer waves or shorter curls.

OUTRE-PRODUCT-7529.jpg

HoneyDew said:
When you were short, what did you do to main cute styles without heat? Please give as many hints as possible.

Keep in mind that not all short haired ladies can do buns and rollersets (not cute ones, at least).

i had my hair cut into the halle berry and i found the shorter it was the more i had to use heat. as it grew out i would use less heat. when the top of my hair grew to the nape it was long enough to wrap and i wrapped it for years with no heat. it eventually grew past the shoulders and was pretty healthy without all the heat. some may get bored with it but i never did. every now and then i would rollerset.

JazzyDez said:
Well my thing is I dont get the Straight ones. I get ones that are wavy/curly and they blend in better. my favorite is this one. Its by outre and its called "vera." Its also reversible! You can wear longer waves or shorter curls.

OUTRE-PRODUCT-7529.jpg

Oooooh, I just bought Vera the other day, and I love her! :) Before wearing, I brush some baby powder in the wig to get rid of that ultra-shiny, ultra-silky look and it seems to work much better with my hair texture.

sunshinebeautiful said:
Oooooh, I just bought Vera the other day, and I love her! :) Before wearing, I brush some baby powder in the wig to get rid of that ultra-shiny, ultra-silky look and it seems to work much better with my hair texture.

Girl this is my favorite one I stock up when they have my color. I actually like it better after its a couple of weeks old. It looks more natural then.

HoneyDew said:
I know many of us shorter-haired ladies need to cut out the heat so we can get past the shoulder length hurdle.

I just can't seem to get past using my flatiron after airdrying my hair!!!!:(

Right now I am in braids and I have not used heat which is good. Next I am going to try weaves. But is that all I can do?? I miss touching my own hair.

I say keep practicing w/the bolded or get someone else to do them for you. Shoot, sometimes all it takes is a headband or any hair accessory to make it cute. Also wrapping after rollersetting helps too, especially if it's too curly.

Did you ever try the Caruso steamsetters?

Sorry, but I did roller sets even when my hair was no longer than my ears. If you can't do roller sets, practice, practice, practice.

For me it was finding the right conditioner which allowed my hair to air dry without getting tangled and a good leave in that moisturizes. The conditioner that I use to deep condition (paul mitchell) does not seem to be popular on the Board, but it works so well for my hair. Also I do not comb my hair when it is drying unless I am doing a wet rollerset (which I never do at all). Once my hair is dry, I add more leave ins to each section and then rollerset the dried hair. Having curls in my hair makes my hair cute to me. It has bounce. Almost every night I reapply leave in conditioner (right now Keraphix) on the ends and rollerset.

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I say keep practicing w/the bolded or get someone else to do them for you. Shoot, sometimes all it takes is a headband or any hair accessory to make it cute. Also wrapping after rollersetting helps too, especially if it's too curly.

Did you ever try the Caruso steamsetters?

I do use those, but I can never seem to use them unless my hair has been straightened - WITH HEAT. :perplexed

I wish that I had time to practice rollersets. I am so busy that when I do my hair, it needs to be DONE. I don't have time to go back and redo my hair, you know. All the times I tried rollersets in the past were so bad that I had to go back to start over to make my hair look decent for work.

I have lots of uneven hair. I hope that rollersets with get easier as my hair evens out.

JazzyDez said:

OUTRE-PRODUCT-7529.jpg

So when you wear these how do you actually blend your hair thats left out? Dont you have to use heat to curl it so it can be wavy/curly like the fake hair?

Mastering Air Drying and curling with Caruso Steam Rollers! The steam rollers best investment that I have made. The steam heat does not create any damage to the hair at all and you get bouncy shiny curls. You can get them from Sally's Beauty supply.

SerenityBreeze said:
Mastering Air Drying and curling with Caruso Steam Rollers! The steam rollers best investment that I have made. The steam heat does not create any damage to the hair at all and you get bouncy shiny curls. You can get them from Sally's Beauty supply.

I have those, but I cannot do them in my airdried hair. I do airdry only, but I guess since my hair is pretty texlaxed, it looks a hot mess with carusos right after it is dry. I need to get it straight some kind of way 1st.

Hi Honeydew,

When I first started caring for my hair in Dec 05/Jan 06, I had mid neck length hair and could not do a bun either. I washed, partially air-dryed, and did braidouts for quite a while. I tried finding as many cute headbands as I could that didn't hurt my head. I couldn't use heat anymore because every time I put the curling iron in my head, I would leave at least one whole curl on the iron. That's what started me to looking for help with my hair. Getting rid of the heat started me on the right path really quickly. After a few months I could do a small bun. I got the foam bun and wrapped a small silky sock tightly around it. This squeezed the bun down really small so I could start off with an itty bitty bun. Hey, it did the job. I bunned consistently for six months or more and the rest is history..... ;)

I did bantu sets mainly as I grew from ear length to shoulder. I would also do individual box braids (really small with my own hair) and do bantu sets on that as well. It was actually really cute.

Lavendar said:
Hi Honeydew,

When I first started caring for my hair in Dec 05/Jan 06, I had mid neck length hair and could not do a bun either. I washed, partially air-dryed, and did braidouts for quite a while. I tried finding as many cute headbands as I could that didn't hurt my head. I couldn't use heat anymore because every time I put the curling iron in my head, I would leave at least one whole curl on the iron. That's what started me to looking for help with my hair. Getting rid of the heat started me on the right path really quickly. After a few months I could do a small bun. I got the foam bun and wrapped a small silky sock tightly around it. This squeezed the bun down really small so I could start off with an itty bitty bun. Hey, it did the job. I bunned consistently for six months or more and the rest is history..... ;)
OFF TOPIC:look:
Lavendar, your hair is awesome. You got some really great growth. NECKLENGTH to APL in ONE YEAR!:eek: :cool: You gotta give up that regimen. Are you CW while using that Surge?

HERicane10 said:
OFF TOPIC:look:
Lavendar, your hair is awesome. You got some really great growth. NECKLENGTH to APL in ONE YEAR!:eek: :cool: You gotta give up that regimen. Are you CW while using that Surge?
Um... :look: ...yeah, Lavendar.......GIRL, WHAT ARE YOU DOING???

Are you Surging and is that contributing to your growth? I hope so, b/c I just recently started back...and I would love to get your results

My hair is short...., I co-wash and wear instant weaves tues-sat. Shampoo and rollerset on Sunday, bun or pin-up on a mon.

Back