From relaxed to natural...again (???)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
For Thanksgiving, I'v been up here in Michigan with my family. I have an aunt who's in her 30's that transitioned to natural without the big chop. She said she grew her hair out with wigs and braids for 2.5 years. I sometimes thought those wigs and braids were her real hair. She said she would wash her hair once a week. She just cut off the last 4 inches if her relaxed hair. She had her hair flat ironed yesterday and her hair was almost bra-strap length. Her hair looks much thicker than when she had a relaxer and its absolutely beautiful.

This has inspired me to go natural AGAIN! /images/graemlins/grin.gif I haven't relaxed since October 7. I think I'm going to hafta used heat in order to get my hair straight while I transition. I plan on doing the following...

I will straighten my hair with a blowdryer every 2-3 weeks when I wash my hair. I will invest in a flat iron as well and use that maybe every 2-3 weeks. I have an internship with an accounting firm from Jan 3, 2005 to Apr 15, 2005; I may get braids during the middle of next year after my accounting internship is over. I dont know if I would feel comfortable wearing wigs but I may invest in weave but not for sure. This time, I'm just not going to worry about having my hair straight and easy to comb through. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wish me luck! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
This time, I'm just not going to worry about having my hair straight and easy to comb through. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wish me luck! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the best way to do it. I'm telling you, the more new growth you get, the less you will want to relax. I'm close to seven months into my transition and when I look at my natural hair, I think to myself "there is absolutely no way I can ever relax again." I am loving my natural hair way too much. Good luck on your transition Poohbear! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Wow Poohbear,

That's great! /images/graemlins/clap.gif Best of luck during your transition. We're all cheering for you!!!
SG

That's the best way to do it. I'm telling you, the more new growth you get, the less you will want to relax. I'm close to seven months into my transition and when I look at my natural hair, I think to myself "there is absolutely no way I can ever relax again." I am loving my natural hair way too much. Good luck on your transition Poohbear! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree..........I am loving my natural hair! I can't wait until I am all natural. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck with that girl...Im doing the same thing!! I dont want to fully relax again but i might texturize!! but im going to try to go natural first than do that!

Good luck /images/graemlins/smile.gif and Congrats on your decision /images/graemlins/clap.gif -- jainygirl

Good luck Poohbear! I'm curious though, what about your aunt's hair inspired you to go natural? The length (straightend) or the natural texture? Transitioning can be frustrating if you're planning in trying to keep your new growth straight to match the relaxed ends. You might end up causing damage to your new growth with the use of so much heat.
Your plan sounds "do-able" but difficult to maintain. I would think it would be easier & gentler on your hair to wear styles that compliment the natural texture growing in rather than trying to keep it straight.
I know it was impossible for me anyway. I just don't want you to get dissapointed & give up.

[ QUOTE ]
jetcitygirl said:
Good luck Poohbear! I'm curious though, what about your aunt's hair inspired you to go natural? The length (straightend) or the natural texture? Transitioning can be frustrating if you're planning in trying to keep your new growth straight to match the relaxed ends. You might end up causing damage to your new growth with the use of so much heat.
Your plan sounds "do-able" but difficult to maintain. I would think it would be easier & gentler on your hair to wear styles that compliment the natural texture growing in rather than trying to keep it straight.
I know it was impossible for me anyway. I just don't want you to get dissapointed & give up.

[/ QUOTE ]

What inspired me about it was the fact that it was natural and that she could get it straighten. Plus her hair looks better natural than when it was relaxed. Her 9-year-old daughter has natural hair as well that's beautiful. My aunt did not use a lot of heat when she transitioned. She told me she just wore wigs and braids. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I thought about the heat that I planned on using but I have decided on doing some type of braid regime instead of using so much heat. I just mentioned the heat only if I want to get my hair straighten which may be once or twice a month...is that too much? If I do styles to compliment my texture, I will wear the infamous bun or a twist updo. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
gn1g said:
What products did/does she use. Does she always wear it straight?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what products she used. I will have to ask her. This is the first time Ive seen her hair all natural so I'm not sure if she wears it straight all the time. I think she just flat ironed it to show off the length. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jetcitygirl said:
Transitioning can be frustrating if you're planning in trying to keep your new growth straight to match the relaxed ends. You might end up causing damage to your new growth with the use of so much heat.

[/ QUOTE ]
jetcitygirl has some very good points here.

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
jetcitygirl said:
Transitioning can be frustrating if you're planning in trying to keep your new growth straight to match the relaxed ends. You might end up causing damage to your new growth with the use of so much heat.

[/ QUOTE ]
jetcitygirl has some very good points here.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes indeed! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm sure you can make it to your goal. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Are you going to snip off the relaxed ends a little at a time or grow it to a certain length before chopping?

pooh bear....during ur transition, make sure that there is verity in the types of styles that u wear so that u dont get bored with them...try to maintain them well without keeping them in for too long. do a bit of every style and then u wont even think about the fact that u are transitioning cuz ur real hair will rarely be out. in fact, i forget all the time that i am transitioning and its been several months already.

i am not doing THE bc either...but will do a mini chop when i get back to the states with people that can speak english... hehe

Congrats on ur decision to transition! If ur gonna use heat on ur new growth, make sure to use some type of heat protectant...(although I would discourage the use of heat altogether).

I'm really happy for you /images/graemlins/trampoline.gif

Poohbear, it might be a good idea, if you can get your hair braided into neat cornrows, not too small, medium size that can last you up to 8 weeks, so that your hair has time to rest, also make sure that the braider does not braid your hair too tight, concentrate on moisturising the scalp and roots and moisturising your braids, when the time is up, you can take them out and cut off the relaxed ends. Deep conditioner and after two weeks, then put it back in braids again. So you are not doing the big chop.

[ QUOTE ]
jetcitygirl said:
I'm sure you can make it to your goal. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Are you going to snip off the relaxed ends a little at a time or grow it to a certain length before chopping?

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif hmmm...im really not for sure yet because I dont have a problem doing either one... I will most likely grow it to a certain length before chopping off all the relaxed ends. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

@ PittGirl06 - what are all the hair styles you did during your transition?

@ Peachtree - what is a good heat protectant if I decide to use heat? is Salerm21, glossing polish, OR grease good enough???

@ Valerie - I will probably alternate between cornrows and individuals.

Thanks for the tips and advice everyone! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

"@ Peachtree - what is a good heat protectant if I decide to use heat? is Salerm21, glossing polish, OR grease good enough???"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
To be honest, I can not recommend one... I've never used one. Before finding this board, I didn't even know what a "heat protectant" was... now, I don't use heat of any sort, so I have no need for a "heat protectant".

I have seen others here recommend CD Hair Milk, CD HHB, & Thermal Silk. I'm sure that there's others...

Back