From relaxed to natural...again (???)

Good luck . . . again. Everyone has given great advice. I'm a little past 5 months and im loving it. I never wear my hair straight anymore especially as my natural texture increases. I'm also not doing the big chop while I'm in cornrows and a wig.

hmmm...maybe i should not worry about using heat and having my hair straight...can someone get this "straight hair idea" outta my head!? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
hmmm...maybe i should not worry about using heat and having my hair straight...can someone get this "straight hair idea" outta my head!? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont worry too hard about it. As you transition you'll realize that your life is just easier "going with the flow of your newgrowth" instead of fighting against it to make it straight so that the two textures blend. Braids, bantu knots, wigs.. you have so many other options /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Girl think of all that time you could spend here at the forum chatting instead of in the bathroom trying to get all your newgrowth totally straight /images/graemlins/grin.gif. -- jainygirl

jainygirl, thanks 4 the insight! plus, ive only used a flat iron a few times out of my whole life and i am no good with using the flat iron. /images/graemlins/look.gif

Poohbear ---since decided to transition in May, I have had tree braids (2 months with straight hair), tree braids again (1 month with wavy hair), individuals (2 months....for the first time), and I wore straight and curly wigs in between. I would like to try different styles using different textures of hair.

[ QUOTE ]
gn1g said:
What products did/does she use. Does she always wear it straight?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just asked my Aunt Gloria what products she used. She said she used the Motions Product Line. She washed her hair once a week. She blowdried with a blowdryer and pressed her hair with an electric press comb when the new growth comes in to prevent breakage. /images/graemlins/wink.gif To me, her hair didnt look damaged from heat. So I might incorporate some heat into my regime again.

Good luck /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW - Your hair is going to break during the transition no matter what you do...that's just a part of it. Even with the best care, the line where the relaxed ends meet the new growth is very fragile. I agree with Jetcitygirl about finding styles that blend the two textures instead of trying to straighten it alot. The braid-out was my best friend, lol.

Thanks mkstar826. My aunt also suggested wearing styles that dont require a lot of pulling and tugging too to avoid using excessive heat for straight hair all the time. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck with your transition!! I'm really starting to love my hair!! I'm happy I did BC..but I still wear a hat everday..lol

Good luck. Most long term transitioners that I have spoken with said that they wish they had not used heat during their transition.

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
She said she grew her hair out with wigs and braids for 2.5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the method that I'm going to use when transitioning. Do you think it may help you too if you're worried about using heat on your hair?

hey poohbear... sounds like a good plan to me... /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif i know your aunt's hair must look beautiful.....

Back