Friend's mother made me some hair oil

Okay now I really feel like the characters in my siggy. I have been watching this thread for a minute!!! What us gon do?!?!?!?!?!?

This is hilarious! My mom uses this oil sometimes. She goes to Cairo every year to visit my grandpa and one of her good friends (who's Sudanese) hooks her up. Seriously, this thread made me laugh cuz my mom is still trying to figure out wats in that oil, she even wanted to take it into an oil expert...lmao. honestly, she gave me 2 bottles (they were really small) and one thing i know is that it must have castor oil, cuz of the thicker consistency.

my mom's friend was able to grow her hair all the way down her back with this stuff. I dunno the details (i haven't been to egypt in a long time) but according to my mom, her friends hair was falling out in patches so she ended up having to shave it off (and she covered her hair with a scarf) then after 2 years- her hair was all the way down to her waist.

Honestly, this stuff is classified information. The people import it from Sudan and the avg Sudanese person in Egypt doesn't know what the mix is for this oil. I'm assuming were talking about the same thing, because this stuff is big things over there.

If it stinks my guess is its animal fat. The nomads in sub-Sahara Africa use it. We call it main shannu direct translation is oil of cow. 100% natural straight from the source
They do have long hair though, greasy and smelly but definitely long and soft.
I think it is also a combination of protective styling and low manipulation.
I’m just a guessing though
But if it is main shannu it stinks worse than MTG :grin:

If it stinks my guess is its animal fat. The nomads in sub-Sahara Africa use it. We call it main shannu direct translation is oil of cow. 100% natural straight from the source
They do have long hair though, greasy and smelly but definitely long and soft.
I think it is also a combination of protective styling and low manipulation.
I’m just a guessing though
But if it is main shannu it stinks worse than MTG :grin:

What does the animal fat part do Arewa girl?

Okay I have read this thread and its like a thriller I tell you ! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

It also confirms what I have also thought about hair growth for black women. That is like Indian women we are going to have to find out what the herbs are like in our own natural locality and habitat which will be most beneficial to our hair growth. Fuse that with other ancient traditions such as Ayurveda and you are onto a winner.........

Anyway's I agree with another poster who said that its something we already use and likely based on NATURAL ingredients if its a family secret. It is also probably a widely sold product in East Africa that has probably been doctored and tweaked a bit by the family.

Someone mentioned CASTOR OIL AND NEEM OIL.... I totally agree. I think its also based on ingredients local to East Africa. East Africa has a huge Indian Diaspora and then you have the Berber infuences so you are looking at an oil which is thick and stinky and made with Natural Herbs.

Anyway ladies, here is some information I have found online....

[FONT=&quot]African Oils: Health and Beauty from the Motherland [/FONT]
African Oils: Health and Beauty from the Motherland
By Stephanie Rose Bird
clip_image002.gif

[FONT=&quot]For a time in my life, my morning was not off to a proper start unless I watched my favorite programs. Like many women and men for that matter, Oprah was an important element of my morning ritual. When you watch talk shows day after day, at a certain point it is difficult to recall the idiosyncrasies of each show—we are awash in an experience. It is telling then, that I can recall the particular morning when Oprah announced that hair grease (pomades, balms, salves) was bad for black hair—this delivered poignantly, as usual, tossing her well-coifed hair, to and fro, to punctuate the statement. I had to scratch my own itchy cornrows in dismay wondering what to do, as oils traditionally eased the tough transitional days of this hairstyle.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fragrant baths, floor washes, powders, bath crystals, incense, anointing and blessing oils, as well as fresh aromatic flowers have been employed in our folk medicines since the earliest records of our existence.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pomades[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Unguents, which we now call pomades, were used approximately 5,000 years ago according to cave walls on the Tassili plateau in the Sahara and Algiers. Women, with what appears to be cornrowed hair, are having a substance (assumed to be unguent) applied to their braids and scalp. Women had their hair and bodies anointed with fragrant pomades and botanical oils, assured of the oils medicinal powers. Women perfumed themselves by sitting over or near burning pots of sandalwood or aromatic substances [similar to smudging or smoke bath]. Fragrant flowers, among other natural objects worn on the body, served as protection amulets (Yarbrough, C. 2002).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In Ancient Egypt, women are depicted wearing cone-shaped unguents on their heads. These cones were either representative of all of the pomade previously applied or actual cones that melted from body heat, perfuming and conditioning the hair (illustrated in stele, papyri and cave art from various civilizations) (Jeffries, R. 1988). Moreover, ancient Egyptian papyri list hundreds of curative properties of oils, so oils are not simply glop for the hair but are useful medicines (For medicinal benefits use pure botanical oils. Petroleum and other fossil fuel by-products should be strictly avoided). [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Madame C. J. Walker became the first Black millionaire in the United States in the early twentieth century from sales of her miraculous, herbal hair growth pomades and other botanical products. Afro Sheen™, Dixie Peach™, Dax™, Bergamot ™ as well as the herbal blends of tallow and lanolin have been used for decades by African Americans to treat scalp disorders and encourage hair growth. Over the years, synthetic and petroleum products dominated the formulae and their use dwindled. Today, there is a virtual pomade renaissance. African Pride ™ and African Root Stimulator ™, prominently feature aromatic herbs like sage, rosemary, lemon verbena, neroli, patchouli, lemongrass and even kola nuts in a shea butter or olive oil base. Pomade has regained popularity, unrestricted by ethnicity or race.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As we return to our roots, many of us no longer wear our hair blow-dried or relaxed. We have gone back to the way of our ancestors to embrace braids, twists, knots and locks. Those who wear straight hairstyles realize that they too benefit from hot oil treatments, as hot oils are currently enjoying an overall surge in popularity at salons. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I would like to share the benefits of a few African oils and will follow up with suggestions for using them. As you read on you will notice that I have included other factors that make natural oils appealing; their sale helps generate income for rural African women, they are good for multiple health functions and they are good for the environment. Further, wildcrafted, organic, cold processed oils are commonly obtained from Africa, very different from the expensive proposition that occurs when buying wildcrafted oils elsewhere. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Shea butter and neem are currently enjoying the limelight so let’s begin with them. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Shea Tree Distribution and Uses[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The shea tree is a member of the Sapotaceae family Vitellaria parasoxa (C.F. Gaertin; Boffa, J.M; Yameogo, G; Nikiema. P; Knudson, D.M, 2003) formerly called Butryrosperum paradoxum (Henry et al. 1983). The shea tree is native to Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sudan, Togo and Uganda. Shea trees grow for 150-200 years. The nut is almost 50% fat (International Centre for Research in Agroforestry). Shea butter is called Karite in the Dioula language. Shea has been traded since the 14th century (International Centre for Research in Agroforestry). Today shea butter is the third highest export product in Burkina Faso (World Bank, 1989). It is one of the few economic commodities under women’s control in Sahelian Africa. Women farmers have tenderly cared for the trees for hundreds of years.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In Africa and around the world, shea butter is utilized for its ability to soothe children’s skin and soften mature skin; protect against sunburn; prevent chapping and irritation; and to treat ulcers and rheumatism (International Centre for Research in Agroforestry). Shea butter is a superior fatting agent in herbal soaps. The emollient, softening quality of shea butter makes it useful for hand or foot treatments and hair and body care, as it is easily absorbed when applied topically.[/FONT]

Read more: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...nce/HSELayout&cid=1157365875515#ixzz0cgNjBqRq

[FONT=&quot]A Tree of 40 Cures: Neem Tree[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Neem has a distinguished history in India. In the Sanskrit language it is known as Nimba, a derivative of the term Nimbati Swastyamdadati (to give good health) (Neem Foundation, 1997). Neem has been naturalized over the past hundred years in coastal East and West Africa. Known as the “tree of 40 cures” neem is called Mwarubaini in the Kiswahili language (Kimathi, H. 2003). Neem is an eco-friendly tree since its leaves quickly decompose, forming nourishing mulch for plants that surround it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The leaves, seed kernel and bark of neem trees are all useful. The tree has antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral and infertility qualities. The neem kernels contain about 45% oil making it an effective emollient. Useful in the treatment of ringworm and other fungal infections, neem is also highly regarded for maintenance of scalp, hair, skin and nails.[/FONT]

Read more: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...nce/HSELayout&cid=1157365875515#ixzz0cgNzKxvX

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]African Oils[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Though the following oils are less familiar than shea, neem or even palm and coconut oils, they still hold promise. Most of these oils are organic, cold pressed and wildcrafted by women. [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Balanities oil[/FONT][FONT=&quot](Balanities Aegyptiaca)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Balanities trees are found in most arid, semiarid to sub-humid tropical savannahs, hot dry areas along waterways and forests (Rulangaranga, 1989), and are native to the Sudano-Sahelian zone, Palestine and Jordan (EROS Data Center, 2003). Balanities trees are flexible but they cannot tolerate prolonged flooding (Kew, 1984). [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]30-40% of the balanities seed is oil. The plant is useful as a soap substitute since it has high saponin content. Locally, balanities is useful in treating sore throat, colics, mental diseases, epilepsy, toothache and it serves as a laxative (EROS Data Center, 2003). Balanities may be useful to those with over-processed hair. Analgesic qualities lend balanities oil the ability to sooth the scalp. As an astringent oil, balanities should be combined with other emollient ingredients like avocado, jojoba or castor oil when used on dry brittle hair.[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Baobab[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (Adansonia digitata) also called Muuyu[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Baobabs[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]grow in arid, semi-arid and sub-humid tropical climates (Baobab Fact Sheet, International Centre for Underutilized Crops, 2003). Extremely long-lived, a baobab’s lifespan is between 1,000 and 3,000 years. The baobab tree is such a rich reservoir of mythology, folklore and medicines that is has become emblematic of Africa. The seeds contain pulp with numerous uses. The vitamin C content of the fruit averages 300 mg/100 g, nearly 6 times higher than an orange (PhytoTrade Africa, 2003). Baobab is also rich in vitamins B1, B2, phosphorous, iron, trace minerals and protein. It contains Essential Fatty Acids (EFA’s) and Poly-saturated Fatty Acids (PFA’s), lending medicinal and food value. Baobab oil is useful in cooking and cosmetics. The nutritious oil has a faint aroma making it suitable for massage and natural products. Baobab has a long shelf life, making it suitable for international shipping and storage (Baobab Fact Sheet, International Centre for Underutilized Crops). [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Cape Chestnut Oil [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Calodendrum capense (L.F.) Thunb)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cape chestnut oil is a cold processed, organic oil, grown and wildcrafted in Mt. Kenya’s forests. Cape chestnut oil offers natural ultra violet protection, contains EFA’s and antioxidants, and has a mild smell. The purity of the oil coupled with its mild odor and health benefits make Cape Chestnut Oil an ideal base for hair conditioning as well as for creating homemade natural cosmetics. [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Jatropha[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (Jatropha curcus)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]​

[FONT=&quot]Jatropha oil is rich in glycerin making it useful in various hair, scalp and skin treatments. In 1999, the Alternative Resource for Income (ARI) project successfully mobilized women to produce handmade soaps from Jatropha oil to fight skin ailments such as eczema, acne, rashes, psoriasis and fungus (Arusha Times, 9/9/02). Jatropha contains constituents capable of attacking infections of the scalp that normally deter hair growth. Jatropha oil is also being tested as an eco-friendly automobile fuel.[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Kweme[/FONT][FONT=&quot](Telfairea pedata)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] comes from Tanzania. Kweme is used locally as a breast massage to encourage milk flow. The benefits of kweme are derived from its concentration of essential fatty acids, polyunsaturated fatty acids and iodine. Kweme has a long shelf life. Oils like kweme that are high in EFA’s bring out the luster in dark hair and may stimulate growth. [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Moringa oil[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (Moringa stenopetala)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Moringa[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]oil comes from Egypt, the Sudan and the Arabian Peninsula. Moringa has a long history recorded in Egyptian medical papyri as a woman’s pregnant belly rub, called ben. Moringa contains seventy-three percent oleic acid and other nutrients. Today, Moringa is also used in soap, as lamp fuel, in perfumes and skincare. This oil makes a delightful vehicle for essential oils.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tips[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]To use shea butter, scoop out some shea butter, slowly rub it between your palms and it will melt from your body heat. [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]For healthy nails, soak hands or feet (one at a time) in a bowl of warm neem.[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Counteract the strong smell of neem with lemongrass essential oil to counteract its nutty scent. Use 1/8 teaspoon per 8 ounces of neem. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Add 5-6 drops of Bourbon Geranium, Sandalwood, Neroli (Neroli is very strong with a lingering scent. Use sparingly.), Lavender or Patchouli to 8 ounces African carrier oil; use as a massage oil, conditioner or bath additive. [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]To soften dry hair, select an oil from this article; heat ½ cup; apply directly to the scalp. Wrap head in towel for 20 minutes. Shampoo and condition as usual.[/FONT]

The stinky stuff works, though. Maybe you can use it at night and co wash it out in the morning. If all the family has gorgeous hair, it works.

The family may have gorgeous hair due to genetics. My mom uses grease, relaxes, dyes, flat irons with no heat protectant, doesn't PS or DC and her hair is gorgeous... I just wish I got that "gene"!:look:
Good luck OP, let us know how it goes!

Ladies I just realised that Nigerian ladies use a similar thing (well in my part of Nigeria anyway).

Its the fat of some animal or other. I think I might have recently threw some away when clearing out recently. To me it sounds like the same principle as EMU oil....

Will have to ask Mum what it is and try it:

By the way I think the magic ingredient might be called Balenites Oil bc apparently it is VERY stinky as well and similar to Castor Oil...

Last edited:
I know many of you have some serious investigative skills so...............start looking for these oils to see if we can get them state side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is Nonie???? Who are the other CSI LHCF members?!?!?! :yep:

Last edited:
Is anyone here really good at deciphering an oil concoction? Are there any chemists lurking? I dunno if my mom has any of this stuff left, but I could definitely find out. Plus her friend can ship some to her, which my mom doesn't like to have done so often because her friend will never accept money from her. Anyways, from my recollection this stuff really doesn't have a strong smell to it at all- it's nothing like the Indian oils.

ETA- don't get me wrong, it doesn't smell good, but it certainly doesn't smell as bad as some of those indian herbs and oils.

Last edited:
Is anyone here really good at deciphering an oil concoction? Are there any chemists lurking? I dunno if my mom has any of this stuff left, but I could definitely find out. Plus her friend can ship some to her, which my mom doesn't like to have done so often because her friend will never accept money from her. Anyways, from my recollection this stuff really doesn't have a strong smell to it at all- it's nothing like the Indian oils.

ETA- don't get me wrong, it doesn't smell good, but it certainly doesn't smell as bad as some of those indian herbs and oils.

EL - you should contact Gymfreak (I think she is a chemist).

Wow! I remember this thread. If the oil your mom has is the real deal then that sounds like a serious money making business if someone could work out what was in it and start making up their own batches kinda like Boundless Tresses.

i am a scalp oiling freak, especially since i went natural so i got super excited when eisani posted the original thread. so now im soooo pressed for your mom to get some more oil from her friend so we can find out what it is!!!!!!

You guys got me all excited!
No, you got US excited again! I was hoping someone from that region could offer some type of insight! That just reminded me, I gave an Ethiopian girl this website (again) last week in a restaurant I frequent. She seemed genuinely interested in getting her hair back on track so hopefully she'll join up. She said she lost the information the first time.

Last edited:
Hi, Eisani, :wave:

The big PJ in me is very curious as to what that is! I hope the smell is bearable especially if it works..you could always add some EOs to it.

Keep us posted!

I can't believe I read through this whole daggone thread and still there is no oil for me to buy or make! Look, I am planning a trip to Egypt in February with my girls. Eritreladiee if you can get me a PICTURE of this bottle of oil or a definite brand name I will search for it when I get there. If we can lock down specificlally what it is we want I'll get enough for all of y'all!!
I want my 5 inches in 2 months dangit! LoL!!! :lachen::lachen:

This website contains a list of Sudanese (as I understand it "Nubia" is Northern Sudan) people who blog. Some in Arabic and more in English. I found one who actually mentioned a "smelly hair oil" she was using. http://wholeheartedly-sudaniya.blogspot.com/ So I posted a comment asking about it. I was actually the 2nd poster to ask her, and that wasnt even the point of her blog entry. Maybe I'll get a response. Anyway, if any of you ladies are serious about finding out about this oil you can ask one of these Sudanese people about it. I'm sure one of us will be able to get a response. http://www.sudanesethinker.com/sudanese-bloggers/

Last edited:
I can't believe I read through this whole daggone thread and still there is no oil for me to buy or make! Look, I am planning a trip to Egypt in February with my girls. Eritreladiee if you can get me a PICTURE of this bottle of oil or a definite brand name I will search for it when I get there. If we can lock down specificlally what it is we want I'll get enough for all of y'all!!
I want my 5 inches in 2 months dangit! LoL!!! :lachen::lachen:

This website contains a list of Sudanese (as I understand it "Nubia" is Northern Sudan) people who blog. Some in Arabic and more in English. I found one who actually mentioned a "smelly hair oil" she was using. http://wholeheartedly-sudaniya.blogspot.com/ So I posted a comment asking about it. I was actually the 2nd poster to ask her, and that wasnt even the point of her blog entry. Maybe I'll get a response. Anyway, if any of you ladies are serious about finding out about this oil you can ask one of these Sudanese people about it. I'm sure one of us will be able to get a response. http://www.sudanesethinker.com/sudanese-bloggers/

That's the problem- it's not a commercial product. There's no labeling, ingredient list, nothing. That how folks are making their money.

Anyways guys, I took some pictures of it in different lighting. I put my hand next to it so you could see how small the bottles really are.

Another thing, I was talking to my mom and she said her friend grew her hair to her waist in 3 years- not 2, so I'm kinda feeling like there aint nothin miraculous about this oil. But according to my mom, it made her friend's hair much softer (which she probably meant looser/less kinky and from the way it was described, I'm guessing her friends hair texture is 4a.) and it made it thicker too. Anyway, my mom doesn't use this stuff regularly, she's quite lazy with her hair and oils like once every 2 months, so I can't really take her head of hair (although she's BSL) into consideration.

So I got a whiff of it again today and it just smells like a mix of the standard oils. I don't know what to do guys. I suggested to my mom sending it to a chemist and she thinks i'm nuts, she thinks we're better off going to an oil expert (which where the hell are we gonna find one of those?) And her hubby thinks I should take it to my university's chemistry lab and have them decipher it- and Hell no, that's just embarrassing.

Anyways, she thinks it's too much hassle and said she could just get some for her and I every year when she goes. But if it's that great I want you guys to have some too! But at the same time, I don't know if this particular oil is worth the hassle cuz you could probably get these results or similar using something else..... Dunno guys.... i'mma try and find gymfreak and see what she thinks.

Last edited:
Back