Found: Dominican Salon $15 wash and set in QUEENS

Boadicea

I just "discovered" a Dominican salon in Queens where the wash and sets (plus blow out AND wrap [$1 xtra if you don't have your own pins]) for only $15!

Charo and Friends Unisex Beauty Salon
117-39 Farmers Blvd.
(718)723-8472
Daily: 10am-7:30pm
Sat: 9am-7:30pm
Sun: 10am-4:30pm

If you see me, say Hi!
sekret.gif

I went there last night and I'll give you my review:

First, I wen on a Sunday so my hair would be "fresh" for school on Monday. I can't put my hair up currently due to migraines out for my insurance money, so I'm breaking my challenge for a few days.

I arrived at 3:06 and there were 10 people waiting to get their hair done. The last appointment is at 4:30 so I decided to come back at 4:00. When I did, the same 10 people were still there. I signed my name in the book (I was #51
shocked.gif
) and sat down to wait.

It wasn't my turn until a little over an hour later! I noticed that everyone brought their own shampoo, conditioners and eep conditioners with them. But if you don't want to bring yours, you can use theirs. They use Creme of Nature and a Mizani shampoo. I didn't see what conditioner they used. I brought my own stuff as usual. They don't charge extra if you bring your own things or use theirs.

I had a wash and set and then a blow out and wrap. I asked the lady (Rosa did my hair) to bump my ends, but she refused, saying that my hair would be straight tomorrow. Well, it's tomorrow and my hair is indeed straight but it's very fluffy. Pouffy even. A lot of body but no curl. I would have been more pleased with the bump but I'll get that next time to see if it makes a difference.

bottom line: If you go to this salon, COME EARLY! Make sure you PRINT your name. Bring a snack. Bring something to read. You may as well also bring your own products (I don't trust the shampoos in salons. I've seen the workers mix different shampoos together or fill it with water, etc. At least I know what I'm getting if I bring my own things).

I liked the way my hair looked better when I went to Versatile Unisex (Dominican salon)
144-17 Jamaica Ave.
(718)291-9273
9:30am-7:30pm
$20 wash and set on week days, $22 on weekends

But I may go to Charo's because of the price.

Wow. This must be a popular salon (with so many people and all). It sounds like they move good and fast though.

Back