Former Naturals, What Made You Go Back to Relaxing

[ QUOTE ]
OshunCurls said:
The issues of time and shrinkage seem to be the main ones that come up when we consider going from natural to relaxed.

For those who have fully relaxed or texturized, how much LESS time do you spend on your hair (specifically, how long does it take you to detangle after a wash)? What is your primary style? How significant is the change in your hair regimen? Are you generally happier with your hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, the time spent tending to me hair has been cut down SIGNIFICANTLY.
smile.gif
My hair is pretty thick and I was a natural for yrs, but I must say that I enjoy the permed life. I don't have hrs upon hrs to do my hair and having it relaxed just makes it easier. If there were a way for me to be natural and keep my prep time to where it is now and NOT have to chop, I would. I loved being natural.

Anyhoo- this thread is very interesting. I always enjoy reading about those who transition and those who are considering it.

[ QUOTE ]
Champagne_Wishes said:
I'm planning to go back to the relaxer because to me it seemed stupid to press my hair. Not downing those that do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand this rationalization. It seems stupid to press your hair, but not to relax it...does it seem "stupid" because you always want straight hair and not natural hair? Because other than that I don't see the "stupidity" in pressing.
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
[ QUOTE ]
OshunCurls said:
The issues of time and shrinkage seem to be the main ones that come up when we consider going from natural to relaxed.

For those who have fully relaxed or texturized, how much LESS time do you spend on your hair (specifically, how long does it take you to detangle after a wash)? What is your primary style? How significant is the change in your hair regimen? Are you generally happier with your hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, the time spent tending to me hair has been cut down SIGNIFICANTLY.
smile.gif
My hair is pretty thick and I was a natural for yrs, but I must say that I enjoy the permed life. I don't have hrs upon hrs to do my hair and having it relaxed just makes it easier. If there were a way for me to be natural and keep my prep time to where it is now and NOT have to chop, I would. I loved being natural.

Anyhoo- this thread is very interesting. I always enjoy reading about those who transition and those who are considering it.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I went natural this past time, I got a chance to see what kind of hair I had when I was a kid. I'm gonna reminice for a bit.....

Actually, If I can remember back that far
blush.gif
, I was about 9 or 10. Prior to that, my mom would press my hair in the kitchen or at the dining room table (so that she could see her soaps from the living room tv, ya know
lachen70.gif
). My mom is a pro with the pressing comb and marcell irons. That's pretty much all they taught when she was in beauty school in the 60's. Man, all I remember is haveing sweaty palms every times that hot comb would just barely miss my nape! She'd say "I'm not gonna burn you, that's just the grease melting that you feel!'
lachen70.gif
Ironiclly, I only sustained about 2 small burns during the whole time that she was pressing my hair. I still hated it with a passion. But my hair was so long back then that I could tie my two braids under my chin and then some
smile.gif
. I think that my mom wanted to use a perm on my hair, but strangly enough, I protested
ohwell.gif
. Then when I found out that just about all of my 5th grade friends had relaxers, I told my mom that I wanted one too. The rest is history lol.

ok, back to the present. After my past (near)year of being natural, I've come to the conclusion that the closest thing to a carefree, low maint. style for my thick hair was the twa (teeny weenie afro). I got to the point where I was afraid to let my hair get to a certain length, because the longer my hair became, the harder it was going to be for me to chop it off. The same can be said for a long haired relaxed lady. I guess that's why transitioning is popular.

That was just my morning ramble........thanx again for all of the responses
smile.gif

For me, when i first went natural, i relaxed my hair very soon after (3 months) because of peer pressure. I got teased about my texture and it really hurt. so i descided to relax it to be left alone. That was really sad that i had to do it, but i was tired of the taunts. Plus I also didn't know how to look after it. had no clue about styling. I also hated the hot comb, even though i didn't get burnt that often. I still hate it and i've only had my hair pressed once to get a trim since going natural again. I don't have a time problem when doing my hair. I actually find it easier to manage. Twists,n puffs are just tooo easy. twists usually last a week and puffs are everyday thing that takes 5-8 mins to do.

I've only been natural for a year and a couple of months now, but i couldn't imagine my hair with a perm again. it looks great on the ladies here but i feel that i looks lifeless on me. I don't have a problem with colouring though, but i do notice the differrence in texture when i do.

those were my reasons

I was natural for 11 months, most of last year, and I went back to the relaxer in Nov. 03. I had my hair in single braids for 9 months and then in cornrows for 2 months.

I just couldn't take having to sit for hours to get my hair braided. Trying to locate a stylist that wouldn't take long, charge an arm and a leg and make sure it would turn out looking nice. The itching, the time, the money finally got on my nerves and I went back to the relaxer.

I went natural because my hair kept breaking off and I hadn't found this forum yet to teach my how to take care of my relaxed hair better. I've been relaxing since Nov. 03 and although I like braids sometimes I won't go natural again. I like the versatility I have with a relaxer. It can be straight, curly, braided, up or down on my own time. I don't have to wait for a braid stylist to have time, save up money to get it done, or cut out 10 to 14 hours of my weekend to have it braided. I have the ability to take care of my hair myself and become a product junkie and love it.
smile.gif

I'm a 4 a/b with my hair touching the bottom of the back of my neck. My goal is to my bra strap.
angel.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Tanisha said:

I just couldn't take having to sit for hours to get my hair braided. Trying to locate a stylist that wouldn't take long, charge an arm and a leg and make sure it would turn out looking nice. The itching, the time, the money finally got on my nerves and I went back to the relaxer.

Nov. 03 and although I like braids sometimes I won't go natural again. I don't have to wait for a braid stylist to have time, save up money to get it done, or cut out 10 to 14 hours of my weekend to have it braided. I have the ability to take care of my hair myself and become a product junkie and love it.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Im curious, from reading these parts of your post it seems that you felt like wearing braids was your only option while natural. No wonder doing your hair seemed so time consuming and expensive. Im happy for you if your more happy with your relaxed hair, but did you even try to experiment with doing your own hair and wear other natural styles. For some reason im always curious when i hear people say natural hair is time consuming or expensive to maintain because i find that not to be the case. just asking...

Babyblue, I'm curious about that too. For me it's the opposite - I have a lot less manipulation and damage with my natural hair now than before. When I do wear protective styles (like now I'm wearing twists), it takes a while to do initially but then you don't have to style it for another few days.

I guess it's different for everyone though - very interesting topic and feedback!

[ QUOTE ]
NaturalRox said:
Babyblue, I'm curious about that too. For me it's the opposite - I have a lot less manipulation and damage with my natural hair now than before. When I do wear protective styles (like now I'm wearing twists), it takes a while to do initially but then you don't have to style it for another few days.

I guess it's different for everyone though - very interesting topic and feedback!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll just say that for me, when I was natural with twists, I always took them down after a week. I know it seems weird, especially after investing so much time doing them
ohwell.gif
, but I just missed combing my hair for some reason. Same with braid extensions. I payed a lot of money for professional braid extensions, only for people to laugh at me when I took them down less than an month later lol.

*for Babyblue: I love your hair! My natural hair type seems to be more spongy than yours (at least from what I can see), however....at least along the hairline and sides. When I'd pick out my fro after misting it with something, It would resemble a big, thick, lush carpet. My boyfriend used to tell me that if I ever fell on my head, I wouldn't feel anything
lachen70.gif
. But if I EVER go natural again, you're one of my inspirations
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Autumn said:

I'll just say that for me, when I was natural with twists, I always took them down after a week. I know it seems weird, especially after investing so much time doing them
ohwell.gif
, but I just missed combing my hair for some reason. Same with braid extensions. I payed a lot of money for professional braid extensions, only for people to laugh at me when I took them down less than an month later lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see...well don't feel bad because my twists don't usually last for more than 3-4 days at a time at my current length (lol) and I do it myself so I don't have that expense either.

At the end of the day, we all have to do what works best for us! Managing all types of hair is more of a challenge when you want it to be healthy. Thank goodness for informative online forums like this that help point us in the right direction.
smile.gif

Baby blue your hair looks so sheeny, full and textured! Is that a twist out? I don't think my hair would ever look like yours even at that length, but maybe it would haved that sheen if I took good care of it.

Thanks autumn and nubianangel
Rose.gif

Nubianangel: that was a braid out from some cornrows. The sheen comes from the shea butter.

[ QUOTE ]
NaturalRox said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Me, too! I did get tired of my curly afro puff overtime, but that just inspired me to try other styles. For me, the twists are amazing. Sometimes I go back to the fro, but the twist-outs are amazing!

My hair has never been so healthy, full of life and luxurious since I've become a nappy. I seldom experienced healthy care as a permie. That's just my experience. Sometimes we all get a little discouraged...even I do...but then I measured my hair and saw results. I also realized that nappies don't have to trim their ends as much. Much to my chagrin, I did so every month. Looking back, I realized that I could have easily had up to 13 inches of growth in a year and a half [I did the Big Chop] had I not cut so much of it off...

Oh well, now I know. That's just another advantage of being a nappy...

Back