For those with FINE hair...have you ever just said..forget this hair growing stuff?!

NaturalPath

This is pretty much a vent so excuse me.....

I have been natural since 2005
My hair is extremely fine (not like it breaks easily or anything)...
but.... it is very limiting when it comes to styling.

Single stranded twists are very "scalpy" so forget that.

Straightened hair either reverts when you're trying to "limit product application" or it becomes very greasy and weighted down WITH product application....

Braided, cornrowed hair is not even an option.

The only styles I am limited to are wash n go's, buns or blowdryed hair followed by pin curls or bantu knots

When I see youtube stars with thicker strands & "more denser" hair..i'm like dang why cant my hair be that thick!!

I mean does anyone else feel me or understand??

Anywho.....I cut 3-4 inches off my hair and decided to color it myself. I figured if I am not happy with the lack of styling & how stupid it looks....might as well do something about it. [Per the new avatar pic]

This is not the first time I have cut my hair drastically...peep the sig

Thats it :)

Re: For those with FINE hair...have you ever just said..forget this hair growing stuf

lol yes I understand. uggg. Funny thing is my hair looks the exact same texture as Naptural85 but it is thin and fine so it looks totally opposite.

I am trying to grow my hair longer so that the length can add an illusion on density with natural styles.

Re: For those with FINE hair...have you ever just said..forget this hair growing stuf

lol yes I understand. uggg. Funny thing is my hair looks the exact same texture as Naptural85 but it is thin and fine so it looks totally opposite.

I am trying to grow my hair longer so that the length can add an illusion on density with natural styles.

Her and nappynelle were some of the few youtubers I was considering in mind who have gorgeous thick hair.

I have tried castor oil, protein treatments, henna, diffusing...nothing makes my hair thicker...guess it's all just genetics.

This is pretty much a vent so excuse me..... I have been natural since 2005 My hair is extremely fine (not like it breaks easily or anything)... but.... it is very limiting when it comes to styling. Single stranded twists are very "scalpy" so forget that. Straightened hair either reverts when you're trying to "limit product application" or it becomes very greasy and weighted down WITH product application.... Braided, cornrowed hair is not even an option. The only styles I am limited to are wash n go's, buns or blowdryed hair followed by pin curls or bantu knots When I see youtube stars with thicker strands & "more denser" hair..i'm like dang why cant my hair be that thick!! I mean does anyone else feel me or understand?? Anywho.....I cut 3-4 inches off my hair and decided to color it myself. I figured if I am not happy with the lack of styling & how stupid it looks....might as well do something about it. [Per the new avatar pic] This is not the first time I have cut my hair drastically...peep the sig Thats it :)

I get what you're saying. I look at DD's hair and wish mine could be that thick and dense. Not to mention the YTers I watch. Check out my DD DCing with DIY australian pink clay mix custom blended for her dryness. Here is my hair after a year and a half on my journey. image-803765773.jpg image-3572992233.jpg See what I mean?? I mostly wear mine straight (air dry and flat iron). Im texturized. This has been the best thing for my hair. I had been relaxed for years and never grew past SL. Now color is a no no for me but Im high porosity so henna, ceramide oils and JBCO are THE BOMB for my hair. Its a bit thicker esp the texturized portion. The relaxed ends are doing 100% better too. I am so glad I found LHCF and the idea of a HHJ. They have saved my hair. I just wanna see how long I can grow and how much thickness I can get. I don't see myself ever giving up though

ETE: you hair is very cut btw

I LOVE this HHJ!!

I understand what you mean. I don't think my fine hair breaks easily either but I feel like it's harder for me to retain length than most. I don't wear twists either as that would be a complete joke but I do wear twistouts. I'm learning the cornrows are the devil for my hair. I even tried the beehive braid up under my wigs and tangles galore when I took it down so yeah I feel you girly. I love your color you did btw.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

Straightened hair either reverts when you're trying to "limit product application" or it becomes very greasy and weighted down WITH product application....

The only styles I am limited to are wash n go's, buns or blowdryed hair followed by pin curls or bantu knots

When I see youtube stars with thicker strands & "more denser" hair..i'm like dang why cant my hair be that thick!!

Anywho.....I cut 3-4 inches off my hair and decided to color it myself. I figured if I am not happy with the lack of styling & how stupid it looks....might as well do something about it. [Per the new avatar pic]

I don't have a lot to say about having fine hair. However, you and your hair are beautiful!

ETA: I did have the scalpy twists issue when I was neck length ( my hair is and was natural)...so I completely understand that.

Yeees, I definitely do have fine strands and can say that my styles can be a bit scalpy as well and feel envious of those with denser hair.

The best way I combat this is by putting my hair away in either wigs or braids w/extensions and not thinking about my hair only the health of my scalp. I feel like constant manipulation this year cost me what little length I could've gained.

Yeah I think I am on the finer spectrum and I have tried growing my hair out-setbacks (most recent scissor and stylist). Anyway, I found wash n gos work the best for me and Im exploring some other styles when I get tired of doing my hair. Im still trying to see how much it can grow (healthy) without doing much to it tho. I just don't need super long hair. APL would be nice.

@Mane_Attraxion

I will say this, I LOVE what you did with your hair! You are an example of working with what you got and not trying to make it something it is not.

I know this is a long hair board, but too many fight to get there(longer lengths).
I am a fine haired girl and you described my experiences perfectly. I have realized that I won't be doing WL because it isnt as if the longer my hair grows the "better" it looks. So I accept my fine BSL/MBL hair work with it to make it look fuller. It is what it is, so accept it and work with it.:yep:

ETA: There are PLENTY of women with shorter natural hair that looks AMAZING! They color it, cut it, and curl it. It looks edgy, fun, stylish than the boring buns and updos I have worn:look:. So there are many options with rocking natural hair.

Last edited:

My hair is fine. I find out that the best styles are super-short, bun or straightened (tension method blow dry) whether my hair was relaxed or natural. I had to do a self-check and stop the following hair styles twists, weaves, hair extension (braids), cornrows, tight buns, using pony tail holders with metal clasps, flat iron, wet sets, hair dyes, wash and gos etc. Believe you me I tried every style under the sun.

It took me many years to realize that certain styles do not work well for me and also aren't good for my hair. Once, I recognized that I stopped experimenting and only do hair styles I know look good on me and are good for my hair. I remember I used to work at this place with this woman who had natural thick juicy twists, every weekend I would spend hours and hours trying to make it look like hers only to find that mine looked anorexic!!!!!!!. Now that I work with what I have, people compliment me instead of giving me, "what the heck?" glances.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I'm starting to feel this way about my split ends. It seems like no matter how many times I trim, S&D, lay off the heat, etc., I still have tons of split ends. :wallbash: I feel like I keep cutting my progress. So I've decided to lay off the scissors and let it do what it do. At least for now. :look:

@Mane_Attraxion

I will say this, I LOVE what you did with your hair! You are an example of working with what you got and not trying to make it something it is not.

I know this is a long hair board, but too many fight to get there(longer lengths).
I am a fine haired girl and you described my experiences perfectly. I have realized that I won't be doing WL because it isnt as if the longer my hair grows the "better" it looks. So I accept my fine BSL/MBL hair work with it to make it look fuller. It is what it is, so accept it and work with it.:yep:

ETA: There are PLENTY of women with shorter natural hair that looks AMAZING! They color it, cut it, and curl it. It looks edgy, fun, stylish than the boring buns and updos I have worn:look:. So there are many options with rocking natural hair.

Thank you so much ;-) After almost 9 years I have come to the realization that shorter "blunter" cuts make my hair appear/feel thicker.

I also agree that longer hair will not make it look better, "been there done that" that's why it 2010 I cut from almost MBL to a twa because my hair just sucked lol."

I think I will grow it back to BSL and just call it day. I think I am no longer going to attempt for WSL.

@RegaLady @almond eyes, are you relaxed or natural?

@Mane_Attraxion - you hair looks AMAZING! I agree that you have to do what works for your hair.. :yep:

Hello!!!!!!!!!!!I am now relaxed.

I though do wish that I had been more patient with my hair when it was natural. I just got very frustrated as it got longer and was hard to style.

However, I do like my relaxed hair as I can slick it in a non-tight bun and this I like because I am very lazy when it comes to styling my hair. But I love caring for my hair if that makes sense. I just like very simple hair styles and prefer to make my fresh skin and on point make up be the star!!!!!!!!

It's interesting some people do not like fine hair long and feel that it should be cut into a style to make it look fuller while others think that fine hair looks nicer short or very long. My hair is past APL and I find that it depends on how you style your hair. I tend to wear my hair straight back to give it fullness or do a deep side part. I cannot do middle parts or wear my hair with curls. I also like the messy buns with straightened hair as it can give the illusion of fullness.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

Hello!!!!!!!!!!!I am now relaxed.

I though do wish that I had been more patient with my hair when it was natural. I just got very frustrated as it got longer and was hard to style.

However, I do like my relaxed hair as I can slick it in a non-tight bun and this I like because I am very lazy when it comes to styling my hair. But I love caring for my hair if that makes sense. I just like very simple hair styles and prefer to make my fresh skin and on point make up be the star!!!!!!!!

It's interesting some people do not like fine hair long and feel that it should be cut into a style to make it look fuller while others think that fine hair looks nicer short or very long. My hair is past APL and I find that it depends on how you style your hair. I tend to wear my hair straight back to give it fullness or do a deep side part. I cannot do middle parts or wear my hair with curls. I also like the messy buns with straightened hair as it can give the illusion of fullness.

Best,
Almond Eyes
Thank you so much for responding almond eyes! I'm struggling with whether or not to relax.. I've been natural for almost 3 years and still just SL+, and I think its because my hair can't take all the manipulation from being natural. Plus I workout almost every day, so trying to detangle daily etc is a hassle. I just know that I do want to have longer hair, whatever length looks best on me, but I'm not sure if relaxing is the way to achieve that.

Anywho, I didn't mean to highjack the thread. :nono: :huggle:

Thank you so much for responding @almond eyes! I'm struggling with whether or not to relax.. I've been natural for almost 3 years and still just SL+, and I think its because my hair can't take all the manipulation from being natural. Plus I workout almost every day, so trying to detangle daily etc is a hassle. I just know that I do want to have longer hair, whatever length looks best on me, but I'm not sure if relaxing is the way to achieve that.

It really depends on how you expect to wear your hair everyday. For me, I was tired of the poofs and the flyaways. I am lazy with styling my hair, I just like to slick it back and only straighten on special occasions. And because the front of my hair is coarser, relaxers give that portion of my hair a very slight wave which was not present when I was natural.

What I will tell you is the following, that if you have fine resistant hair you might wonder why you even put a relaxer in your hair in the first place. And you have to ensure that when you touch up, only do the new growth because fine hair gets destroyed very quickly.

My relaxed hair is resistant. And my hairdresser completely tried to reverse this by leaving the relaxer in for too long a time, overlapping and smoothing out for too long in the sink in 2012. By the time I looked, my hair looked like a shalacked duckling. Since that time, I now do my own relaxers and I have dusted off most of those thin ends and my hair is on the grow.

So, it really depends on your styling habits.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I know exactly what you mean. It's so hard to deal with. Lately, I have been contemplating giving up on trying to grow my hair long. It's been exhausting to say the least. I recently found that my hair loves protein which stopped a lot of the breakage, but I think I started to use it too much and now have protein overload. All of the hair I have grown this year is just breaking off. I've had PO for a month now and I'm just ready to say forget it. I'm thinking if I start ignoring it and trying to care too much, maybe it will grow.

I haven't given up yet, but it's certainly on my mind. I know my porosity and how to ph balance products, and moisturize twice a day, but I still get breakage. I don't know what to do to get my hair to stop breaking. I'm exhausted.

My hair is also very fine

I am trying to do this henna thing to thicken it up im done with my struggle styles and im a bit done with my youtube envy the only one i ever related to hair wise was nalia1908 and i dont like one of her styles.

I cant even have a decent wash and go because every commercial product i tried weighs my hair down and/or just sits on top of it.

so my go to styles are buns and kinky twist with added hair

However my hair is growing besides my two major set backs from yarn braids i have been retaining at least 6 inches a year but it looks like .5 inches a year with this supper dupper shrinkage.

a girlfriend of mine braided my hair in corn-rolls it looks nice and neat just not impressive she added hair to make the style last and as she was finished with the back row she says to me

" i dont understand you hair you have so much of it but when i braid it you look bald"

i just shook my head and said i dont understand it either.

She added a lot of hair to the front to make it look "fuller"

Thank you so much for responding @almond eyes! I'm struggling with whether or not to relax.. I've been natural for almost 3 years and still just SL+, and I think its because my hair can't take all the manipulation from being natural. Plus I workout almost every day, so trying to detangle daily etc is a hassle. I just know that I do want to have longer hair, whatever length looks best on me, but I'm not sure if relaxing is the way to achieve that.

tapioca_pudding

I am natural.
If I remember your Fotki correctly, you rocked short cuts very well:yep:
Bunning got me to where I am. Bunning, moisturizing, baggying and sealing with castor oil. If there is a formula to growing hair, I would swear by this!:yep:

My past goal was APL, then BSL(which took a long time to achieve) then mbl. To be very honest, I am close to MBL, but I won't miss it if I don't reach it:look: I wear my hair out now after bunning for 3 years straight, and I could not be any happier.

My honest opinion is to do what you feel in your heart you want to do. If that is relax fine, if not that is fine too. I have seen all hair look nice on women who rocked it well. :yep:

I get like that and will cut all of my hair off. This time, I didn't go too drastic with the cut. But I feel! I just colored my hair jet black and I'm wearing it in a scrappy crappy bun. But I do want to get to WL. I was almost there this year until I had my setback and cut it to NL in June. Its SL now and I want to be Apl by june of next year.

Well said RegaLady!

Hi my name is LadyPBC and I have fine hair:lachen:
I loooove being natural/chemical free but have recently contemplated relaxing because after four years I am still style challenged. My styles look somewhat anemic. Of course when I was relaxed it had gotten to the point where I described my hair and sheer curtain hair - I could see through it. Not sure when that transition took place.

I apply too much product (in an attempt to tame it I think:blush:) then its too heavy and weighed down. Not enough product and I have no definition or some sort of poof. Whenever I end up with a decent style I never know how I got it - it certainly wasn't intentional. I would love to bun a lot but I am no good at that either. For some strange reason I can't get my type 4zzz edges and temples to lay down and behave - a mess. I should probably relax/texturize/tex-lax or may keep my hair straightened with curlformers or roller sets then try to style it but who has the time? I try to work out a few times a week so my styles wouldn't last anyway.:perplexed

I look best when I throw that wig on my head that is big, full and curly/frizzy:yep:. Can't think of the name of it - maybe the "Drew". I get three million complements a day when I rock it:grin:. It had actually become embarrassing with the amount of attention and adoration - people of all genders, creeds and colors feeling compelled to tell me they love my hair and asking for styling recommendations and staring me down up close because they just love my hair/(the wig). Of course I was then ashamed to wear my own hair since it didn't meet up to the same adoring standards. :ohwell:

I stay with tangles and SSKs. I have about 3 different textures in my hair and no matter how I try I can never mimic the styles on YouTube. I become resentful when I never see anyone with my fine type 4 hair looking wonderfully natural. See what you've caused OP? Now I'm ranting and raving.

@tapioca_pudding

I am natural.
If I remember your Fotki correctly, you rocked short cuts very well:yep:
Bunning got me to where I am. Bunning, moisturizing, baggying and sealing with castor oil. If there is a formula to growing hair, I would swear by this!:yep:

My past goal was APL, then BSL(which took a long time to achieve) then mbl. To be very honest, I am close to MBL, but I won't miss it if I don't reach it:look: I wear my hair out now after bunning for 3 years straight, and I could not be any happier.

My honest opinion is to do what you feel in your heart you want to do. If that is relax fine, if not that is fine too. I have seen all hair look nice on women who rocked it well. :yep:

I have the same issue. I have fine hair, but to piggy back off Almond Eyes, I have found that there are certain styles that work for me.
Bantu knots out if the house, that is a definite no no. Single twists or braids on my hair? Chile please? I used to do the twists and would be jealous of my thicker stranded sisters because if the versatility in their hair.

I still have my moments, but now I can feel a lot better about my frienemy know as my hair. If I keep her moist and bunned, no problemo! If I straighten her periodically, also no problem, but once it start improvising Naptural85 and Nappynelle, my hair gives me the business.

Stay strong lady!

Sent from Cat's iPhone using LHCF

I have the same issue. I have fine hair, but to piggy back off Almond Eyes, I have found that there are certain styles that work for me.
Bantu knots out if the house, that is a definite no no. Single twists or braids on my hair? Chile please? I used to do the twists and would be jealous of my thicker stranded sisters because if the versatility in their hair.

I still have my moments, but now I can feel a lot better about my frienemy know as my hair. If I keep her moist and bunned, no problemo! If I straighten her periodically, also no problem, but once it start improvising Naptural85 and Nappynelle, my hair gives me the business.

Stay strong lady!

Sent from Cat's iPhone using LHCF

Chiming in to say, I agree with all those sentiments.

Best,
Almond Eyes

RegaLady thanks so much! I definitely do feel cute in my short cuts :lol: but I want to experience longer lengths. I just colored my hair black so I can't do anything for a few weeks until it 'heals' lol. Then I'll decide whether or not to relax.. I've made a pros and cons list already LOL. I think protective styling will definitely be my life, and I do need to start baggying with castor oil like you mentioned.. I did that in the past and I really did have great retention.

I also notice that when I keep my ends trimmed regularly, I retain ALOT better. And less is more - cowashing too many times a week or DC'ing more than once a week etc just makes my hair weaker/more fragile.. :drunk:

Thank you so much ;-) After almost 9 years I have come to the realization that shorter "blunter" cuts make my hair appear/feel thicker.

I also agree that longer hair will not make it look better, "been there done that" that's why it 2010 I cut from almost MBL to a twa because my hair just sucked lol."

I think I will grow it back to BSL and just call it day. I think I am no longer going to attempt for WSL.

Mine as well. My hair tends to look fuller, healthier and just overall better at even shoulder length. Whenever I pass shoulder length, it starts to look thinner and kinda limp. :ohwell: I'm currently at MBL.

I have low density hair. My parts look like highways (read that somewhere and thought it befitting). Two strand twists look good only when they're in an updo but if I let them down, I look like I have a bunch of antennae. I usually blow dry my hair before styling if I want to create volume and the appearance of high density hair.
I'm still growing and worry that once I reach my goal of mbl (currently bsb) I'll still be disappointed but I'm going to keep going for now. Maybe by that time I'll have accepted that I simply don't have as many hair strands as others. Or maybe not...
I've been looking into purchasing some clip in tracks that match my texture and color. I recently ordered some samples and am expecting them next week. I'll check back in and let you know how they turn out.
I try to keep in mind that I can't fight nature and I need to learn to work with it.

This is me too. I'm rethinking my goal of MBL because everything looks so scalpy or flat when I try it. Every time I watch my favorite youtubers I have to remind myself that my hair won't come out as full as theirs if I attempt that style.

I also have to baby my strands because they're so delicate. It's already too much work at APL.

yup, me, too. My fine hair splits and breaks no matter what I do. I accept that and wear buns or braids every day.

I'm starting to feel this way about my split ends. It seems like no matter how many times I trim, S&D, lay off the heat, etc., I still have tons of split ends. :wallbash: I feel like I keep cutting my progress. So I've decided to lay off the scissors and let it do what it do. At least for now. :look:

Yes, YES, and YAS!!! I know exactly what you mean.

My hair is fine and VERRRY tightly coiled! I feel that I very limited to hairstyles because my hair is so fine. And sometimes I feel like I'm going against nature or whatever by trying to grow my hair out.

I have so many splits so I feel like I'm constantly trimming length. I'm sure things would be simpler if I had just medium (not even thick!) hair. *sigh*

I have so much respect for fine haired women who grow their hair to long lengths, ESPECIALLY fine AND 4B.

You hair is so cute in your avi OP. I feel the same way. In fact I've given up trying to grown my hair. I have 4c hair so wash and gos are not an option. My hair has never been long enough for a decent bun. I've been keeping my hair braided up (poetic justice style) but even that takes its toll. I was thinking about cutting it low but I'm scared to because I think my face shape is better suited to longer styles. I stopped watching most YouTube hair gurus because my hair will never do what theirs does.
I just took my hair down from yarn twists, really have no idea what to do next and I'm trying not to go for my scissors!

Back