For those with FINE hair...have you ever just said..forget this hair growing stuff?!

Re: For those with FINE hair...have you ever just said..forget this hair growing stuf

I feel ya, OP.
My hair is fine too and it looks fuller when shorter.

As it's grown, I've found that I'm okay with mini braids or mini twists once they've gotten nice and fuzzy. But that process takes too long. I have poofy/cloudy hair so twistouts and braidouts that are not as defined tend to give me the appearance of thicker hair.

My hair has gone through many stages, I just adjust my go-to style to fit the stage. Right now, I love to put my hair in a ponytail at the top of my head and leave a few hairs out in the front for a bang.

I love what you've done with the cut and color. As it grows out, maybe you can try pinning it up different ways until you find your go-to style. GL! :)

Re: For those with FINE hair...have you ever just said..forget this hair growing stuf

So I've decided I'm officially done with my hair the way it is. I'm shaving my head tomorrow, gonna start my hair journey over.

im about to do a search on the lunar cycle to cut hair. It is impossible to keep fine hair from split ends.::HUFF::

I have fine hair, and thought like that before I decided 20 years ago that I wanted to grow my hair. I was always told it was too fine, wouldn’t hold a style, and thought I just didn’t have the genetics to grow it long. Little did I know, the genetics are there, and that my hair just needed a different approach.

With fine hair, In order to have length, I have to be carful about overstyling and combing. My hair grows with no problem, but I guess all of the overstyling, rough combing kept me at NL-SL.

I have dense hair as well, so that helps. But it can be an issue when trying different styles. I stay away from products that add volume. I don’t need that in my life.

My hair profile as found on the fictional dating site Hairmatch.com :giggle:

Hair Journey: Began April 2009 with a clean shaven head

Hair Type: 4B natural (undefined cottony clouds in the front and zigzags in the back)

Porosity: Low

Strand Size: Fine

Hair Density: Medium

Hobbies: Active tangler and collector of fairy knots

Archenemy: Chlorine & Bandwagons

Loves: Napur Henna & EVCO

Length:
Official - 2 1/2 years ago on straightened hair WSL
Unofficial - wet hair strands are able to stretch to TBL.... Yassss that lone strand counts.

Motto: Keep it simple

Realizations: Knowing and finally accepting that my hair will never physically look or behave like those of a thick haired natural and that’s okay.

Last edited:
I have fine hair, and I've given up mentally on my hair several times in the past. Fine hair is it's own little beast, couple that with medium or low density, slow growth, and type 4 anything and you might be in struggle city. What I had to do to keep motivated was to:

1. Find out what products work best for fine strands. For me heavy butters and creams are a no go...silicones, serums, oil sheen, spray moisturizers, even some light pomades are the things my hair likes. I have to keep it light, and consistent. Which takes me to #2
2. Being consistent...Once I found the products that my hair liked, I just stayed with them. I may try one or two new products here and there, but my regimen rarely changes.
3. Protein...My fine hair loves protein, so I feed it a high protein diet. Unlike some of ya'll my fine hair will break easily, so I use protein often to keep it strong
4. Lo Manipulation....I live in small twist, and for my fine hair, small twist makes the perfect twist-outs.

I've stopped trying to make my hair look like other naturals with thicker strands and higher densities. I've come to accept and rather enjoy my strands. I think the key is just learning your hair. You may not find the answers on youtube or instagram. You may have to actually take the time to learn your hair. I found out a lot about my hair once I put the weaves down, and stopped trying to cover it up. Fine hair can be difficult, but it can also be easy, and pretty, and long!

Last edited:
I have fine hair as well. I only just started my hair journey when I did the big chop in August 2016, so I haven't given up on hair growth just yet. I think my hair grows pretty steady, retention is the issue. My hair looks for a reason to break, which is why low manipulation is my friend. I can't go full protective style mode, because fine strands love to tangle and that leads to even more breakage from trying to get those tangles out.

I found that my hair likes butters. This is not because it is fine, but because it is kinky. Butters weigh down my hair, giving me more stretch and making detangling much easier. For many with fine hair 'weighed down' hair is not acceptable, but I believe when ones hair is kinky it actually benefits the hair. Hair that has been weighed down with product is much less likely to tangle, because each strand is lubricated and can easily slide pass one another. This is the way I have been retaining length all 2017.

I have fine hair as well. I only just started my hair journey when I did the big chop in August 2016, so I haven't given up on hair growth just yet. I think my hair grows pretty steady, retention is the issue. My hair looks for a reason to break, which is why low manipulation is my friend. I can't go full protective style mode, because fine strands love to tangle and that leads to even more breakage from trying to get those tangles out.

I found that my hair likes butters. This is not because it is fine, but because it is kinky. Butters weigh down my hair, giving me more stretch and making detangling much easier. For many with fine hair 'weighed down' hair is not acceptable, but I believe when ones hair is kinky it actually benefits the hair. Hair that has been weighed down with product is much less likely to tangle, because each strand is lubricated and can easily slide pass one another. This is the way I have been retaining length all 2017.

See. I'm starting to think this is where I need to be.

Very helpful. Thanks for posting it!

Heavy products are a trade off. Some deep conditioners are too thick and heavy for my hair to the point that the hair breaks when I try to comb the product through.

But I don't mind it getting weighed down in the sense that it gets oily sometimes throughout the week.

Back