For those that went natural it looks like your texture is better?

kgard7777

I just observed that most of the ladies that went from relaxed hair to natural. Their texture looks better, silkier etc. How can that be? Anyone else agree with this? Please share your thoughts :)

Not sure what you mean by better or silkier. I'm 4 a/b natural, after being relaxed for 21 years. I have to tell you my hair is not silkier. It is definitely healthier and a lot thicker!

Mines is defintely not silkier either, only when I flat iron. I think the flashes of camera and showing wet hair pics can lead to that misunderstanding. My hair is silky and slick only with lots of conditioner but after that it is very spongy and depending on what products and techniques I use can dry very soft or dry crisp and brittle:ohwell: but anyway my hair is a lot healtheir sans the relaxer:yep:

There is some gorgeous natural hair around here. I think that once you learn to moisturize your hair properly and treat it gently then your hair has more of a healthy sheen to it and just looks better. Or at least that's how I feel about my new growth. If I had discovered LHCF a few years ago then I might not have started texlaxing again to make my hair more manageable.

I think that when most naturals straighten their hair it appears silkier and smoother because the cuticle is more flat.

This can be attributed to the fact that most naturals dont use heat that often which causes raised cuticles plus there are no chemical processes that raises the cuticle. These two factors combined lead to silkier, shinier hair.

I dont think it has anything to do with the texture...that doesnt change....the biggest difference is what type of manipulation is done to the hair shaft.

Mines is defintely not silkier either, only when I flat iron. I think the flashes of camera and showing wet hair pics can lead to that misunderstanding. My hair is silky and slick only with lots of conditioner but after that it is very spongy and depending on what products and techniques I use can dry very soft or dry crisp and brittle:ohwell: but anyway my hair is a lot healtheir sans the relaxer:yep:

I agree. My hair is the same way. And my hair is not shiny but people comment on pictures all the time saying your hair is so shiny. :wallbash:

I think that when most naturals straighten their hair it appears silkier and smoother because the cuticle is more flat.

This can be attributed to the fact that most naturals dont use heat that often which causes raised cuticles plus there are no chemical processes that raises the cuticle. These two factors combined lead to silkier, shinier hair.

I dont think it has anything to do with the texture...that doesnt change....the biggest difference is what type of manipulation is done to the hair shaft.

Tookt he words out of my mouth. Less heat and chemical manipulation really helps to imporve the overall health of the hair.

My hair does have a certain gloss to it when I straighten that it never had w/out alot of prroduct when I was relaxed, but I attribute that to less heat usage.

Back