For those that cut their hair (not trimmed) due to damage etc. regrets?

blessed7777

Just wondering for the people that cut their hair a shorter length due to damage or uneven lengths. Would you do it again under the same circumstances? Or do you wish you would have just been more patient and trimmed gradually?

I'm not sure what the difference between a cut and trim is exactly but I wish I wouldn't have cut about two inches off my hair because it looked like it was broken off. I think it was just growing in uneven and looked worse when it was wet. Had I waited for the other side to catch up I'd be okay.

Lesson learned: Never cut wet shrunken hair!! :nono:

I would definitely cut it again, in my case I really wanted a clean slate and didnt want to worry about my hair continuing to break and looking crazy. Having healthy short hair that is growning is better to me than long dry, chewed up hair.

I regret it ! Next time I wil gradually trim instead of cut drastically... I'm in protective style anyway.

Last edited:
3 years ago I had to cut off 7 inches because of damage from heat and color. i cried so much because ,y hair has never been above my shoulders but i definitely didn't regret it at all. my hair was like wool and it had to go. but a year later i shaved my head and i didnt cry because it was my decision, i guess when you have no choice but to cut it b/c its damaged you regret it more.

yup, i would do it again.. my hair was over processed , dry , brittle, and damaged.... i bc'd and now my hair is thirving like never before. i dont regret it AT ALL.

I cut about 3-4 inches give or take of heat damaged ends in November, and have no regrets, would do it again. The hair didn't "look" damaged to me, no splits, or whatever. But it drove me crazy when I did a wng and the ends hung looser than the rest.

I cut 1 1/2 inches in December because my ends were a mess. I don't regret it at all. With my last touch up about a week ago my ends were in great shape. If I would have held on to those bad ends, I would have needed an even bigger cut. I only had to dust my ends and keep it moving this time.

I cut 6 inches over a period of 2 years. Best thing I ever did for my hair. Now I trim about 1/4inch every 8 weeks to keep my hair healthy.

Just wondering for the people that cut their hair a shorter length due to damage or uneven lengths. Would you do it again under the same circumstances? Or do you wish you would have just been more patient and trimmed gradually?

I wish I would have done it SOONER!! I would have probably grown out a healthy head of hair by now if I was not so dead set on keeping those damaged ends. I buzzed cut my hair last Sunday basically bald. when I realized at about a 1/2 inch from my scalp I had knots and damaged hair I knew I made the right decision to cut it all off.

I'm starting from ground zero and I am excited this time around. I'm going to enjoy each phase instead of looking at what I don't have.

Right now I don't have to use a lot of product and the air feels good on my scalp. And I get to wear various wigs. It's actually a lot of fun. Detangling sessions on my damaged natural hair, I shall not miss!

At one point I'd gotten about 3-4 inches cut and I should have done it sooner. The damaged ends really needed to go and no amount of babying, bagging, dcing, and protective styling would have been as beneficial as healthy, even ends. And besides, it grew back.

I cut about 3-4 inches give or take of heat damaged ends in November, and have no regrets, would do it again. The hair didn't "look" damaged to me, no splits, or whatever. But it drove me crazy when I did a wng and the ends hung looser than the rest.

Dang ... I could have written this post myself. I cut off 4-6 inches in February for the same reason. The whacktastic wash-n-gos is what drove me to the scissors ... and no I don't regret it at all. It will grow back better than ever. I just gotta watch that heat.

no, once hair gets past a certain point of damage you can't repair it. And you just waste your time trying to repair it. It's better to just cut it off and start over. Although i think you should know why and how it got to that point before you do cut it and it be because of your own choosing, not some bald headed stylist.

I had to have 4-5 inches cut due to split shafts. I cried and regretted it at first but now I am happy that I can focus on healthy growth rather than trying to repair my damaged hair. I enjoy pampering my hair moreso than nursing it back to health. It looks and feels TONS better too.

3 years ago I had to cut off 7 inches because of damage from heat and color. i cried so much because ,y hair has never been above my shoulders but i definitely didn't regret it at all. my hair was like wool and it had to go. but a year later i shaved my head and i didnt cry because it was my decision, i guess when you have no choice but to cut it b/c its damaged you regret it more.

How long did it take for you to get enough hair to braid? I'm currently at "zero" inches.

Yep! My hair during 4 months into transition was shoulder length. But I had so much damage from the relaxers and also from losing nutrients when I was sick this past summer, I had to do the big chop early. Now I'm 6 months natural and 10 months since I had a relaxer but it would have been nice to have transition and grow my hair past my shoulders. But I truly tried to save my hair by baggying, dc, co-washes but it was too much damage.

I cut 4 inches last year because of damage and uneveness and I often think about how long my hair would have been if I had cut it gradually instead. I wish I would have grown it to APL then cut it off gradually.

I regret not doing it sooner. I tried to trim it gradually and it just didnt seem to progress. For years that area stayed broken off. I finally got tired of people asking me about it and I was always self conscious and always had to find a way to hide it so I just cut if off one night. I had to cut like 3 inches total for everything to match up with that section that was damaged. And it looks much better now. I almost didnt think it would grow back.

I'll try to post progress pics soon. I have to ask my SO to take a pic for me. I'm not that great at taking hair pics.

The most drastic in the last few years:

Cut back from APL to neck length and eventually to a #2 on the clippers because my crown started breaking - that never happened to me before and I became fearful.

What I learned from this: don't be hasty. Yes the crown was breaking, but the products I used at the time (Burt's Bee's Avocado Pre-Poo, Dove shampoo, and AE Garlic DC, AE Cren) were working. I just needed to stop combing the crown up and staring at it in the mirror. :lachen:

I eventually cut the stress, changed my diet, and gave more responsibility to others - should have done that before I cut. :wallbash:

Most recently I cut to a neck length bob. My hair is medium density relaxed with fine strands with layers on top of layers. The bob gets rid of "see through" ends and unwanted layers. - very pleased.

I love the cut

I cut off damage many many times and I never regret it. It just drives me crazy to hold on to damaged hair, plus you have to work harder when you gradually cut. IMO

I cut 3-4 inches off in November due to heat damage. I do not regret it at all.

Now it's almost back to where it was, and it looks better.

Nope. I cut my hair to the cut seen in my avatar last year and I don't regret it at all. The cut gave me a clean slate and allowed me to learn about my hair needs. I personally don't see the use in hanging on to damaged ends.

i wished i hadn't cut my hair off...again. i have itchy scalp..i'm not sure if the relief i have right now is long term or short term but for now its a MAJOR relief w/ no trace or itchiness in sight...b/c of that...i really wished i hadn't cut my hair but it had broken off so bad where my itch spots were. i should jave been about apl right now instead of a clipper cut #1 but i am so i just have to live w/ it for now and take care of my scalp...i mean hair..lol

Hello. I am one of those people that had to cut hair due to damage (environmental, stress, bad no-lye relaxer). Sometimes I get really sad about the huge cut, but my hair looks so much better. It keeps a curl, looks thick, and feels great! I can't wait to get it long again though :)

My last BC was due to my poor use of chemicals. I was relaxing bone straight for 40 minutes and then got the bright idea to permanently dye my hair red. If I could do it all over again I would've made a real effort with protective styles before chopping so soon.

I cut 5-7" off last year and I'm almost tempted to do it again! It seemed so much thicker when it was shorter and I absolutely loved the blunt ends because they curled SO much better. :yep:

Back