For Ladies Who Relax around the 8 Week Mark, do you see much Growth? (Poll)

How Many Inches Before You See Noticeable Growth?

• 1 Inch (Around 2 Months)

Votes: 37 61.7%
  • 1.5 Inches (Around 3 Months)

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • 2 Inches (Around 4 Months)

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • 3 Inches (Around 6 Months)

Votes: 4 6.7%

• Total voters

Reecie

Okay..

So for those of you ladies that relax close/near the 8 week mark, are you usually disappointed with the amount of growth after your relaxer or are you satisfied? The reason I ask is because in my circumstance, yes, I know my hair is growing (on average of .5 inches a month), but I usually do not see a noticeable difference until 2 relaxers later (8 more weeks)...this is even after I take comparison pics. More importantly, is an inch of NG really noticable to you? I seem to notice my own growth with about 1.5 to 2 inches a growth.

What do you guys think? If you have 8 week comparison pics (good and/or bad) can you post them below? PLEASE..... My relaxer date is coming up and I don't want to be disapointed, I need encouragement cause I just want my hair to be APL ALREADY!!!!!!!:burnup::burnup::burnup:

Okay.. my venting is over.

I relax at 4~5 weeks, and I see a difference. I know there has to be a difference at 8 weeks, unless your hair is breaking. Idk.

Before joining LHCF, I relaxed every 4 weeks with no problems from the relaxer. I didn't see my growth because I wasn't taking care of my ends at all. I've been here almost 5 months and I am finally able to see all of the growth I get, but I relax every 6-8 weeks now and yes I'm very happy with my growth results! :grin:

I usually relax every 8 weeks (it is usually a struggle waiting until 8 weeks!) and I do see a difference. See my siggy.

I'm 9 weeks post and I'd say that I have about an inch of new growth. My hair has crazy shrinkage so it looks like I have an half an inch but when I pull (my new growth) straight it measures to about an inch. I'm going to stretch until 10 or 11 weeks before I relax.

Yes I see a difference. I go about 9-11 weeks. For me it is better because the difference I see is bigger than if I went shorter. I tend to see about a 2 inch difference, give or take.

I swear I am the slowest grower on the planet Officially! and I never see any newgrowth at 8 weeks NEVER Ever EVER Ever. My hair will just appear thicker but Not Longer!I've relaxer stretch 10 weeks, 11 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks on occasion but not great results with that either..due to some unruley 4c I got in the back right quadrant. In 3 years I've been hovering between shoulder length and arm pit length..my stylist says my hair is Not damage..no hairs on the floor Nothing!..Finally I'm fed up so I dropped her and took out my weave (been weaved up for 19 years..ahead of the curve or behind it?). Let's see if that helps..I hope it does.

Last edited:
No I don't, it depends on the speed of your particular growth, and I have the slowest growing hair ever, so 8 weeks would'nt be much for me at all.

Nope especially when my former stylist would relax and then TRIM all in the same day. So any progress I would/could have had was gone.

Well, I was trying to stretch for 12 weeks and on Wednesday, I will be 7 weeks. I think I am going to relax at 8 weeks. I wonder if stretching is a good option for me. I am slightly underprocessed and I am worried that I will have too much damage if I wait until 12 weeks. But back to the topic... I see growth but I don't really know how much. When I measure, it looks to be a little over an inch. I was hoping that at 12 weeks I would see more like 2.75 inches though. I'll just pray I have at least 1.5 inches when I relax next week.

I usually lose a lot of hair but now I baggy my ends and retain my length. Before my hair would grow but my ends were horrible, so there really wouldn't be a difference. I shed still but it is all from the roots now.

I swear I am the slowest grower on the planet Officially! and I never see any newgrowth at 8 weeks NEVER Ever EVER Ever. My hair will just appear thicker but Not Longer!I've relaxer stretch 10 weeks, 11 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks on occasion but not great results with that either..due to some unruley 4c I got in the back right quadrant. In 3 years I've been hovering between shoulder length and arm pit length..my stylist says my hair is Not damage..no hairs on the floor Nothing!..Finally I'm fed up so I dropped her and took out my weave (been weaved up for 19 years..ahead of the curve or behind it?). Let's see if that helps..I hope it does.

I know exactly how you feel! I had been wearing partial extensions in the back of my head for about 4 years, and while my hair is extremely thick, it should be so much longer by now. I decided to take out my extensions... ( I was getting sick of feeling braids in the back of my head, especially around the 6 week mark when they start to get loose). So now, I will be self relaxing, and I made my own clip-in extensions so I can take them out as I please. Hopefully it works for both of us, girl!!:grin:

It really depends on the person.

Also depends on the type of relaxer you use which makes a difference.
How you take care of your hair in the mean time.

I have gotten 3 inches in 6 months esp. after my stretch on 3/09.

I usally go for at least 12-18 weeks it just all depends I use to do it every 2 months and did well. It just all depends.

Before the boards, I used to relax every 7-8 weeks, and I would see about an inch of growth.

But now I texlax and stretch to at least 13 weeks. I am also eating healthier, exercising regularly, drinking lots of water, etc. and of course, protecing my ends. As a result, I may see up to 2 inches of growth...a very nice surprise at touchup time.:grin:

I see growth and it is noticeable after about 8 weeks. I'm 6 weeks post now and trying to stretch to at least 10. My problem with stretching is the breakage and that's a whole nother thread. :ohwell:

If I relaxed at 8 weeks I wouldn't see much of a difference but I'm a slow grower. I can see a difference @ 12 weeks but its only 1 inch.

maybe she trims all your growth.

Before the boards, I used to relax every 7-8 weeks, and I would see about an inch of growth.

But now I texlax and stretch to at least 13 weeks. I am also eating healthier, exercising regularly, drinking lots of water, etc. and of course, protecing my ends. As a result, I may see up to 2 inches of growth...a very nice surprise at touchup time.:grin:

Dang Girl! Your hair grows fast.

You guys got a point I'm on my own now so Let's see if I get something moving..I mean't growing:lachen:

I was going to mention the trimming part but also that your hair must be growing if you need a relaxer every 8-12 weeks. So yeah, if you're not experiencing breakage than it must be trimming.

HHG

Before the 16 weeks strecht that i am going thru right now, i would relax every 8 weeks, to be honest i would see a difference in growth if the made sure i focused on RETENTION, thats the key!

I used to see some good progress and relaxed faithfully every 8 weeks. This is even with a regular trim. I maintained almost MBL hair for years. Now I relax every 15 - 17 weeks and hope that I can break past MBL with the longer stretch.

i know my hair grows but i need to figure out the art of retention
i cant keep my ends at bay
they break off...

This is my first stretch and I am now 11 weeks post. I am going for 12 weeks. I usually notice a difference around the 6-7th week (that was when I would usually do my touch up). I always seem to have way more growth in the center of my scalp than other areas which is where its more noticeable.

I used to touch-up every 4 weeks, and I definitely saw growth, but it took 2 months to really see it. I don't know if this makes sense, but, say 4 weeks after reaching SL, it wouldn't look noticeably longer, but maybe my ponytail would hang cuter, or I'd be able to do a style I just couldn't quite manage before. OTOH, after 2 months, it was noticeable to the naked (non-hair obsessed) eye.

This time, I decided to stretch as long as I could (without any damage), and I've made it 7 weeks so far. I have about an inch of texlaxed hair, new growth, and CL relaxed hair, so I'm wearing braid-outs and flexirod sets, trynna ride this out the best I can. smh

Last edited:
Wow at 8 weeks yall get one inch. I know that is normal but thats so amazing to me... Im sitting here with this ruler in my hand rite and so Im thinking, in 12 weeks yall get 1.5 inches!!!!! WOW!!! I wish I had normal growth like that.

Wow at 8 weeks yall get one inch. I know that is normal but thats so amazing to me... Im sitting here with this ruler in my hand rite and so Im thinking, in 12 weeks yall get 1.5 inches!!!!! WOW!!! I wish I had normal growth like that.

Me Too!!:blush::blush:

Back