Flexi Rod Sets or Maxiglided Hair?

lonei

Hi ladies, I did my 1st flexirod set in January and although I hated it at first cos it took forever to dry, it really did grow on me and a lot of people really liked it too. It was a great protective style which I got to last 2.5 weeks. I left the curls in tack and only separated it in say the last few days, however, some of the ends had knotted together, (I must admit I did let it get kind of dry) which resulted in some breakage at the ends.

My question is, is it healthier to flexirod set my hair every 3 weeks providing I find a way to minimise the knotting than to rollerset and then maxiglide every 3 weeks?

Any suggestions welcome as to how to prevent the knots, keep it light but not dry and make the set last longer...thanks. I'll be doing another set this weekend...

Why don't you flexi rod set weekly. You can moisturise daily if you put the flexirods back in your hair overnight. You could Flexirod set the wet hair on a Sunday and whenever you felt it was necessary you could lightly moisturize your hair on a weeknight and put the flexirods in your hair overnight to reset the curl. I hope this helps:)

Thanks T but I just dont have the time, being texlaxed also means major breakage if I have to detangle/wet it that frequently, it has to be once every 3 weeks....

So you are going three weeks without moisturizing or washing your hair? I don't know if this is good in the long run, but different things work for different people. I just thought flexi rod sets would be better because it is very low heat and low manipulation.:)

I think that it would be better/healthier to do flexirod sets ever 3 weeks vs. using the maxiglide because you aren't using direct heat. I find that my ends stay in better condition if I don't flat iron.

I think it's fine to shampoo every 3 weeks. The low manipulation is probably saving you a ton of hair and I bet you're retaining length like crazy. You know your hair and what works best for it. Just make sure to moisturize and seal your flexi sets so you dont get breakage again. HTH.

ETA....your flexi set was very pretty.

trimbride said:
So you are going three weeks without moisturizing or washing your hair? I don't know if this is good in the long run, but different things work for different people. I just thought flexi rod sets would be better because it is very low heat and low manipulation.:)

I do add oil/serum every few days and have been doing this for years and its been fine, however I dont wash it for 3 weeks...

Pokahontas said:
I think that it would be better/healthier to do flexirod sets ever 3 weeks vs. using the maxiglide because you aren't using direct heat. I find that my ends stay in better condition if I don't flat iron.

I think it's fine to shampoo every 3 weeks. The low manipulation is probably saving you a ton of hair and I bet you're retaining length like crazy. You know your hair and what works best for it. Just make sure to moisturize and seal your flexi sets so you dont get breakage again. HTH.

ETA....your flexi set was very pretty.

Thanks P, low manipulation really works for me, anymore touching/washing and I'm asking for trouble! Love your curls in your siggy!

I use flexirods to set my hair and what helps with the ends is putting a little oil on the end and using roller papers. (After a wash and condition, I put a moisturizer on my hair, then a little oil, but I focus more on the ends.) Also, I'm not sure how much you comb your hair, but combing the ends before putting the roller papers on helps a lot.

Also to keep it moisturized I 1) dab a little oil (and I mean very little because I don't like my hair to feel super oily) on the ends before I pincurl at night and 2) after I pincurl I spray a little moisturizer on my hair. Then tie it up! :) I'm not sure if this will work for you but it really helps me maintain my rollersets.

HTH.

(the roller set in my fotki looks pretty bad, but usually they look decent for about 1.5 weeks, and that's possibly because my hair is short)

I vote for the Flexirod...

Also, maybe something like the Dove sheer moisture might work...

How do you keep your curls for 3 weeks?
The reason I haven't done a rod set in a year is because by day 3 they look a mess and I am not sleeping sitting up.
Please share, if I can keep the curls looking good for 1 week at a time I would be golden...

I would also vote for the flexirod, why not alternate them and try to to the flexirod sets more than the maxiglide. I have my hair in a flexirod set now, I usually don’t like to keep it for more than 1 week but this one could easily stay in longer. I find that almond oil is light enough to place on the ends in the morning to keep them moisturized.

Qetesh said:
I would also vote for the flexirod, why not alternate them and try to to the flexirod sets more than the maxiglide. I have my hair in a flexirod set now, I usually don’t like to keep it for more than 1 week but this one could easily stay in longer. I find that almond oil is light enough to place on the ends in the morning to keep them moisturized.

How do you maintain your flexi rod set at nite?

ldp said:
I use flexirods to set my hair and what helps with the ends is putting a little oil on the end and using roller papers. (After a wash and condition, I put a moisturizer on my hair, then a little oil, but I focus more on the ends.) Also, I'm not sure how much you comb your hair, but combing the ends before putting the roller papers on helps a lot.

Also to keep it moisturized I 1) dab a little oil (and I mean very little because I don't like my hair to feel super oily) on the ends before I pincurl at night and 2) after I pincurl I spray a little moisturizer on my hair. Then tie it up! :) I'm not sure if this will work for you but it really helps me maintain my rollersets.

HTH.

(the roller set in my fotki looks pretty bad, but usually they look decent for about 1.5 weeks, and that's possibly because my hair is short)

Thanks, I think I will dab the oil on every few days!

crlsweetie912 said:
So lonei, how do you do your hair at night if you only wash every 3 weeks and don't comb? Do you re-roll on the rods?

I dont re-roll on the rods, I just put on a hair net and sometimes pin down the ends, or I sleep with it up and just fluff in the morning...

MissVee said:
I vote for the Flexirod...

Also, maybe something like the Dove sheer moisture might work...

How do you keep your curls for 3 weeks?
The reason I haven't done a rod set in a year is because by day 3 they look a mess and I am not sleeping sitting up.
Please share, if I can keep the curls looking good for 1 week at a time I would be golden...

Basically by not touching it and wearing it up come the second/third week

Qetesh said:

Thanks a lot

MissVee said:
How do you maintain your flexi rod set at nite?

i dont do to much to it just moisturize it and put it up in a pony. i just sleep on a satian pillow, or ... i sleep with it out :naughty: i find that sort of lengthens my curls after a few days which i like. usually like the 2-3 day i will put a few rods in the area around my face or some area that is starting to look fizzy.

Back