Frizzy Flexi-rod set - HELP!!

wyldcurlz

I attempted my first flexi-rod set last night and I woke up with a frizzy, undefined mess! Where did I go wrong?

I started with freshly washed hair, grabbed random sections, spritzed with lottabody (2 parts LB to 1 part water), smoothed that mixture down the section, smoothed on a little jasmine oil and a small amt of gel. Then curled it up into the rod. The problem was that my roots must've started drying, because that is where the frizz was! At the top of each curled up flexi-rod, it looked frizzy - right when I started rolling it up!! After it was rolled up, I let it air dry for about 10 hours (I even slept with the rods in - covered with a silk scarf - very uncomfortable), when I took them out in the morning, the bottom 5 inches of my hair was still wet! The part that was dry, was frizzy, poufy and didn't look sharp. I saw Dominicana's flexi set and it looked so sleek and beautiful and all the girls who PM'd me and gave me tips - their hair looked great! WHAT DID I DO WRONG?!?!?! I'm so upset! Please help!!!

Last edited:
wyldcurlz said:
How did you secure the flexi rods. I had lots of trouble with that until chocolate01 explained that you have to bend the rods in the opposite direction of rolling. Also I dried under a dryer for two hours slept in them and then dried for nother hour under the hood and I still had some in the back that was still damp. It took me forever to dry!!!. Aside from that I can't think of anything else to add.

HTH

~D

sorry that your flexi-rod set didn't work for you...do you happen to own a hooded dryer or bonnet dryer. The first time I tried a roller set and let it air dry the whole time, the results stunk. The next time I let it airdry for about 30 minutes to an hour and then sat under a bonnet dryer until dry and ever since, my sets come out great. I think heat tends to seal the cuticle and eliminate the frizz factor. So if you are willing to use indirect heat, I recommend a bonnet or hooded dryer. I also use a leave in conditioner only as my setting lotion (motions leave-in! or surge) which doesnt allow my hair to dry hard or sticky. If any sections began to dry as you are rolling your hair, respritz them with a leave-in (i tried respritzing with water before and it caused it to dry hard, tangly, and frizzy). Good luck and don't feel bad, my first time was horrible too and now i am a pro with my sets! HTH

Thanks for all your replies and the encouragement. I'm not discouraged (yet), i'll be giving it another try this weekend.

Dominicana - I pm'd you a few questions. I'll have to try drying even longer. What products did you use? (and how did you use them - smooth them down the sections? And was your hair (especially at the root) sopping wet? Like I said, I think mine dried a bit - adding to the frizz factor.

Tasha112 - I have a hard hat dryer - so I guess that's a hooded dryer. I just bought it - doesn't get that hot so I guess I'll really have to do some time under it hopefully that'll give me the results I want.

The good news is that I have a huge rehearsal tomorrow, so my hair will be sweated out & crazy looking, so I'll have to CW or fully wash it, take a free day and then try the flexi's again...oy! Another saturday night at home! :look:

I think I forgot to mention that I have natural hair...I don't know if that changes anything. Any flexi-rod tips you all have are appreciated and will be used immediately!

THANKS!

When I do a flexi rod set I use a creamy leave in and also marcel curl wax. I normally also allow the hair to airdry, which my hair never dries just overnight, and even if it is damp it does not end up frizzy, so maybe you should try changing the leave in you use that may help.

Im glad I saw this post, I am going to try a rod set today, with perm rods. I hope it comes out ok. Sorry I cant give any advice I will probably need some after im done...

wyldcurlz said:
I think I forgot to mention that I have natural hair...I don't know if that changes anything. Any flexi-rod tips you all have are appreciated and will be used immediately!

THANKS!

oh..nevermind...well I'm a transitioner so the method I posted works for now and when I was completely relaxed..so I guess I'll sit back and take notes for when I'm completely natural :user:

DangerouslyShy - I used the flexi-rods, so you don't need end papers for these types of rods. I got some great tips in PMs from Chocolate01 and another member. (if you'd like I could post some of the wonderful tips they gave me about rolling in the proper direction - but it really only applies to flexis, don't know about perm rods.)

I fell IN LOVE with Dominicana's set so that is what encouraged me to try it.

I guess its about trying the right products - with my hair, its always about that and for some reason, I never come across the right ones. But, I'm one of those girls who doesn't do her own hair - ever! I'm just getting into it, so I make a lot of freshman errors! :D

I'm going to try it again with the same products, but starting early in the morning with VERY WET hair and letting it dry all day. I'll try to post pictures of the outcome - even if its bushwacked! :lol:

I know i'm late but i thought i'd say a little sumthing sumthing :)

I noticed you said that you used setting lotion.I have used setting lotion on my flexi sets and my hair would eventually frizz out.

I suggest a creamy leave-in.(i love ntm cream leave-in with added evoo)It really gives great shine and holds the curl.Also i suggest going under a dryer for about a hour or fully dry.If its not fully dry your hair will be a hot mess :eek: and frizz up.

I have tried to dry my hair overnight but it just doesnt work..I think because your putting pressure on your head while ur sleeping(no air circulating).Also while we are sleeping we create body heat and i'm assuming it gets pretty humid under the scarf,bonnet or whatver your using to secure your hair.Just my theory :look: .

I have to admit however that i get the best sets with dry dirty hair and my creamy leave-in.just like in my pics.

Back