Flatironed Natural: cannot hold a curl!?!?!

Maybe its too hot outside. In the summer my hair goes from straight, to curls at the end, to FRIZZ. That whole disaster takes like 20 minutes LOL

I was JUST about to TYPE THAT !!! lol!! I wait for the weather to cool down and my curls stay ALOT BETTER!!!!

I've had a problem with retaining curls on both relaxed and natural hair. I attribute this problem to my hair being fine. In fact, the last time my hair was professionally done, the stylist recommended curling with the curling iron right after blow drying (avoiding the flat iron/straightening comb) because my hair was too soft. And still, even with holding spray, the curls only lasted about an hour.
So I agree with the other ladies, in order to maintain curls, I would probably have to do a strong set, with tighter curls, good holding product, and keeping the rollers/rods etc. in for a longer period of time.

I say this is the issue. Someone above said 4b hair will not hold curls, but I'm guessing she has fine hair. Fine strands seems to be quite common on lhcf - at least from those reporting. Type 4b with thick, coarse strands will hold curl well.

Its definitely not heat damage. Its just what straight hair does. This is why you hear people with naturally straight hair constantly complaining they can't do anything with their hair ( makes me very grateful for the super versatile hair I have). IMO If your hair isn't moving, its probably lacking elasticity and moisture. It should be falling.

That said now we need to figure out how to get your curls to stay! I too only have a limited amount of time with curls when my hair is straight, especially in the hot humid summer, unless I use so much hairspray my hair is hard-- then it doesn't move at all.

What I recommend if you want to have curls that last longer than 20 minutes/ 1 hour is rolling your hair over night then applying some (not a lot of) hairspray in the morning before you take the rollers down, and also spray them quickly right when you take them down. The hot iron is really like an in case of emergency thing, I cringe every time i curl my ends, because I am always afraid I will *** them up in the process.

Another idea is to actually rollerset your hair so it initially dries into the curl form, ( rather than being straight hair that is now going to be curled) and then blow out and or flat iron the roots. That should look pretty nice considering you are about BSB/BSL

I've also heard great things about carusos but I don't have them.

Lastly, I think the culprit is most likely the summer heat and humidity. I have the same kind of thing happen that many of you described, straight-curl-frizz, all within 20-40 minutes. You might have better luck when things cool down :)

Hope that helps!

It also sounds like OP used too much heat on her hair. This does not necessarily mean damage but if the iron was used at a higher temp than her hair needed and as a result it was ironed too straight to hold curl then that's too straight - at least if your goal is to curl or even bump it. Iron it just enough to leave some body in it. Then you can curl it using a variety of tools or techniques. The most durable ones after straightening it would prolly come from a curling iron (or you can use your flat iron) then put them the curls on rollers or flexi rods overnight.

Hmmm... I may need to try these caruso curlers too. I always thought they would make your hair revert because of the steam. Where can I buy some?

I had the same problem as you with my natural hair. You need to apply setting lotion to your hair before you flat iron. This way you can create curls with the flat iron and they will hold.

What I do is wash, condition, etc. Then I moisturize, add setting lotion, and rollerset. Once dry I flat iron and re-curl my hair with the flat iron. The curls hold. The next time I am going to try to skip the rollersetting and see if I get the same results. I figure I should since it's the setting lotion that is creating the hold and not the rollers.
Good luck.

FYI...it's not heat damage as another poster suggested. I don't use heat often and my natural hair will not hold a curl without setting lotion. My relaxed hair never needed setting lotion to hold curls...go figure.
I did this last month (used LottaBody Setting Lotion) and my curls did not hold nor last. When I went outside (it was most definitely a humid day too), my hair frizzed and puffed up in different areas.

I did this last month (used LottaBody Setting Lotion) and my curls did not hold nor last. When I went outside (it was most definitely a humid day too), my hair frizzed and puffed up in different areas.

Sorry to hear that. It works for me but I don't use Lottabody. I use something made by Isoplus (can't think of the exact name). It's a setting lotion that also has heat protection. I tend to be heavy handed with product and apply it in sections. My hair has body, bounce, and curl.

I also use IC Fantasia Hair Straightening Serum which helps with frizz and puffing up. Setting lotion won't stop your hair from frizzing and poofing. Setting lotion only helps with holding a curl.

I apply the IC Fantasia to my hair after it is dry and before flat ironing. I part my hair to flat iron apply the serum to the piece of hair I am going to straighten then I flat iron that piece of hair.

It works for me.

Here is a pic of my hair the last time I did it.

Attachments

• IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0717.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 12
Thanks knt1229. I think I may need to try a straightening serum next time I flat iron my hair. Right now, I use grease in order to keep my hair from reverting, but using grease to flat iron can make my hair somewhat stiff and stringy-looking rather than thick and flowy.

I'm not natural but I find if I curl my hair with the flat iron and put my flexi rods in the same day I flat iron, my curls last DAYS.

Its definitely not heat damage. Its just what straight hair does. This is why you hear people with naturally straight hair constantly complaining they can't do anything with their hair ( makes me very grateful for the super versatile hair I have). IMO If your hair isn't moving, its probably lacking elasticity and moisture. It should be falling.

That said now we need to figure out how to get your curls to stay! I too only have a limited amount of time with curls when my hair is straight, especially in the hot humid summer, unless I use so much hairspray my hair is hard-- then it doesn't move at all.

What I recommend if you want to have curls that last longer than 20 minutes/ 1 hour is rolling your hair over night then applying some (not a lot of) hairspray in the morning before you take the rollers down, and also spray them quickly right when you take them down. The hot iron is really like an in case of emergency thing, I cringe every time i curl my ends, because I am always afraid I will *** them up in the process.

Another idea is to actually rollerset your hair so it initially dries into the curl form, ( rather than being straight hair that is now going to be curled) and then blow out and or flat iron the roots. That should look pretty nice considering you are about BSB/BSL

I've also heard great things about carusos but I don't have them.

Lastly, I think the culprit is most likely the summer heat and humidity. I have the same kind of thing happen that many of you described, straight-curl-frizz, all within 20-40 minutes. You might have better luck when things cool down :)

Hope that helps!

You are so right, if your hair is pin straight, it's just not going to hold a curl. One of my old beauticians would not press/flat iron my hair first if i wanted to wear curls. She would just use the marcel curling iron on my blowdried hair and the curls would be beautiful, bouncy and last and last.

Side Note: I LOVE carusos...but same thing, if your hair is pin straight, the curls will not last with them. I usually use them 4-5 days after my hair is straight and i use L'Oreal Elnett spray to hold the curls.

Your hair is very pretty Layne :yep: And the color is GORGEOUS!

I may have to try the Caruso steam rollers...about how long do your desired results last with these? A couple of hours? A whole day? Do you roll or pincurl the curls at night?

I love the big bouncy curl look...are you able to achieve tighter curls than the ones in these pics as well? Sorry for all the questions!

Thank you!

For your first question: it depends. When I air-dry the curls don't last as long—about 6 hours; less if I'm in a crowded/hot place (like a club). The pic of me in the black tee is an example of the latter. When I sit under the dryer the curls last all day; it's just a hassle to me. :laugh: I pincurl at night.

Also, you can achieve a much tighter curl than shown in my pics. The set comes with 6 large, medium, small & petite rollers. Using anything other than the large or medium will give really tight curls.

Hmmm... I may need to try these caruso curlers too. I always thought they would make your hair revert because of the steam. Where can I buy some?

You can buy them at Sally's.

off topic: OP does your hair revert completely when wet/not flat ironed or is it looser than what it would've been if nevr heat trained....really wanna know =) thanks in advance

Back