FLAT IRONING GONE WRONG *PICS*

Netta1

...I ended up with this......:giggle:

009-vi.jpg

s/d bar my hair grows uneven....but why am I not BRASTRAP????????

025-vi.jpg

s/d bar I ended up w/ this because I could actually wear this out of the house....

I must tell you that I used a generic flat iron the heat setting only went to 7 I put it at 3.5 :look:

I used a protein spray/heat protectent

and swept through my hair 3 times...

I didn't know what I was doing and I won't be doing this AGAIN for loooooong time..back to my braids...straight up on the G :rofl:

Last edited:
^^^^ oh yeah I'm sure it wasn't but, i was soooo worried about getting all my naps back I was skurred to turn up the heat :rofl:

So have you got a really long tail, or was it because you stretched it for the pic?
What do you think went wrong?

I must tell you that I used a generic flat iron the heat setting only went to 7 I put it at 3.5 :look:

I used a protein spray/heat protectent

and swept through my hair 3 times...

I didn't know what I was doing and I won't be doing this AGAIN for loooooong time..back to my braids...straight up on the G :rofl:

LMAO :lachen: Um I think that's your problem lol You could've at least went to 4.5 or even 5! What kind of flat iron did you use?

So have you got a really long tail, or was it because you stretched it for the pic?
What do you think went wrong?

The "tail" in the 1st pic is a result of me stretching my hair for the pic...

The ponytail in the 2nd pic is a result of the flat ironing and banding...

oh I think many things went wrong...my fear of heat for example.... :yep:

LMAO :lachen: Um I think that's your problem lol You could've at least went to 4.5 or even 5! What kind of flat iron did you use?

:rofl:
I used the flat iron I bought from the chinese shop....it may have been called professional styler...I think it cost about 20-30 or so....

stop that laughin :lachen:

Please please please do not flat iron your hair with anything other than a quality ceramic flat iron. I believe cheapie irons, even at low heat, could do just as much damage as a quality iron used inappropriately. For only $20 more you could have gotten a solid ceramic Amika at Amazon.

So use a quality iron, at appropriate temperature, with proper technique and you should have better results without fear.

Oh, and your siggy pic is :drool: worthy!!

Please please please do not flat iron your hair with anything other than a quality ceramic flat iron. I believe cheapie irons, even at low heat, could do just as much damage as a quality iron used inappropriately. For only $20 more you could have gotten a solid ceramic Amika at Amazon.

So use a quality iron, at appropriate temperature, with proper technique and you should have better results without fear.

good points sheba.....I've had my eyes on this other flat iron that cost about 100 actually...but I wasn't planning on flat ironing my hair (a couple of days ago) and well.....I had the cheepie in my arsenal....

now I know....I need to get the flat iron i want and keep it on stand-by.....

:rofl:
I used the flat iron I bought from the chinese shop....it may have been called professional styler...I think it cost about 20-30 or so....

stop that laughin :lachen:

I can't stop! :lachen::lachen::lachen: The emoticon is what got me lol

She is so right. Sally's also sells pretty cheap ceramic irons. So if you ever decide to upgrade, we've got cheap alternatives for you!

You have an awesome sense of humor....I have no advice to offer because I am relaxed ....but at least your thread on the experience wasnt all somber!

Try Try Try again :)

Well I know you're not huge on straight hair anyway so its all good, plus you have a healthy fear of heat. The banded pony was cute, I'm used to coily Netta and I think everyone else is as well so hey either way, you're beautiful:love2:

OP, you seem really long! Like BSL will take you longer because you have a longer spine or something :)

Your banded pony looks so cute!

You should invest in a CHI or FHI. My hair wouldn't straighten properly until I coughed up the cash for a ceramic flatiron. BTW love the siggie picture!

Any time my flatironed hair doesn't look right - I wet my hair and leave it alone LOL

I cant front..i'm LMAO..but

You can go get you a nice ceramic flat iron for like $30 or less

They have a couple of Babyliss ones at tj max for $25..or if you have a Marshal's check that too..

I got my babyliss Tourmaline for $40 at Tj max..over the basic ceramic which was $25

Last edited:
Did you blowdry or stretch it someway first or go straight to flat ironing from a coily state?
I don't straighten my hair but I'm learning and getting tips here and there for the future.

Well I know you're not huge on straight hair anyway so its all good, plus you have a healthy fear of heat. The banded pony was cute, I'm used to coily Netta and I think everyone else is as well so hey either way, you're beautiful:love2:

Oh black, thank you hommie!!!!!!!!!!!! :kiss: See what I was trying to do is throw a flat iron in the mix like you...but I need to go re-read your blog...I sware a missed something :rofl:

OP, you seem really long! Like BSL will take you longer because you have a longer spine or something :)

Your banded pony looks so cute!

:scratchch You have a good point Ocolove my torso is long and my neck too, I am a dancer. funny thing is overall I am short.... but mighty good point indeed....

It seems like I was at this length last year (and 3 years before that) though....:lol:

You should invest in a CHI or FHI. My hair wouldn't straighten properly until I coughed up the cash for a ceramic flatiron. BTW love the siggie picture!

Any time my flatironed hair doesn't look right - I wet my hair and leave it alone LOL

Yeah, there was no way I was going out of the house looking like rick james :rofl:

I cant front..i'm LMAO..but

You can go get you a nice ceramic flat iron for like $30 or less

They have a couple of Babyliss ones at tj max for $25..or if you have a Marshal's check that too..

I got my babyliss Tourmaline for $40 at Tj max..over the basic ceramic which was $25

I demand you to stop that laughin :lachen:

Did you blowdry or stretch it someway first or go straight to flat ironing from a coily state?
I don't straighten my hair but I'm learning and getting tips here and there for the future.

Well, my hair was stretched from previous twist, i didn't blowdry it b/c it was already dry...Girl if I would've flat ironed in its curly/coily :hair: :lol:

Hey Netta :wave:

I agree so far with everything said...when I flat iron I turn my iron almost to the top and before then I use serum before airdrying in twists or braids....then I put on a little bit more before I actually flatiron. The main thing is to brush it or comb it through well so that all your strands are covered.

It would be better if you used a ceramic iron with actual temp control knob on it. I have a Solia and I put it on about 410. I read somewhere that kinky hair needs at least 375 to effectively straighten it...and for my hair if i put my iron on 375 it poofs out again very quickly as opposed to me putting it higher.

The last thing is that if you can use a fine tooth comb or brush and do the chase method, it makes all the difference in the world (at least for me).

I've been flatironing more lately and I've never had a problem with heat damage. As long as your hair is protected and you have a good technique you should be fine.

ETA: I love your siggie pic too! Beautiful as always :yep:

Your hair seems a little like mine. Fine strands light in color and soft looking....any whoo! ...My hair NEEDS Chi Silk infusion to lay flat...I swear that product works miracles. I use small sections and I do the chase method with a comb and I use small sections. So dont give up!

Oh I also use low heat too and my hair responds well...when I turn up the heat alll my hair does is get stiff sooo try smaller sections, and serum!....

my hair also like argan oil at sallys....that may be a more money friendly option and remeber a little products goes a long way with serums! HTH!

Netta! Stay away from Flat Irons unless your really ready to deal with them

I don't want to see you have a set back. I'm actually glad you did it on low and hardly no passes, your hair stayed safe :yep:

and it's actually grown a lot!

Hey Netta :wave:

I agree so far with everything said...when I flat iron I turn my iron almost to the top and before then I use serum before airdrying in twists or braids....then I put on a little bit more before I actually flatiron. The main thing is to brush it or comb it through well so that all your strands are covered.

It would be better if you used a ceramic iron with actual temp control knob on it. I have a Solia and I put it on about 410. I read somewhere that kinky hair needs at least 375 to effectively straighten it...and for my hair if i put my iron on 375 it poofs out again very quickly as opposed to me putting it higher.

The last thing is that if you can use a fine tooth comb or brush and do the chase method, it makes all the difference in the world (at least for me).

I've been flatironing more lately and I've never had a problem with heat damage. As long as your hair is protected and you have a good technique you should be fine.

ETA: I love your siggie pic too! Beautiful as always :yep:

Thank you!

Your hair seems a little like mine. Fine strands light in color and soft looking....any whoo! ...My hair NEEDS Chi Silk infusion to lay flat...I swear that product works miracles. I use small sections and I do the chase method with a comb and I use small sections. So dont give up!

Oh I also use low heat too and my hair responds well...when I turn up the heat alll my hair does is get stiff sooo try smaller sections, and serum!....

my hair also like argan oil at sallys....that may be a more money friendly option and remeber a little products goes a long way with serums! HTH!

Oh, so chi silk infusion is a serum...hmmmm interesting, thanks!

Netta! Stay away from Flat Irons unless your really ready to deal with them

I don't want to see you have a set back. I'm actually glad you did it on low and hardly no passes, your hair stayed safe :yep:

and it's actually grown a lot!

gooood advice mama and YES ma'am I agree.....:kiss:

Back