First attempt at **Flexi-rods** on natural hair - pics!

tricie

Hey, ladies!

Just wanted to show you some pics of my first attempt at flexi rods. My hair is about 80% natural, 4a; at the longest part, it's about 1 1/2 inches from the top of my arm pit. It took a while for me to get used to putting them in, and it took about 2 1/2 hours. :perplexed I used a little castor oil, Cantu Shea butter, EcoStyler crystal gel, and Lottabody setting lotion (diluted with a Mizani setting lotion, Infusium 23, and water). I used the orange, 5/8" flexi rods, and it took about 40 or so. I have some Super Rollers from Sally's (the ones recommended by mane & chic), and some of the cheap ones from the BSS.

I set them on wet hair, and went to bed; in the morning they weren't dry, but later in the afternoon they were dry. They came out a little frizzy, but I think I can tame that with the setting lotion and the gel, and perhaps a leave-in frizz taming product. Overall, I like how they came out, but I'm going to have to figure out a way to make sure all the roots get straight, which will be a challenge because I don't want my hair pulling too much, and they need to be comfortable to sleep in...I may try drying them under the dryer, and taking them out and sleeping on a bonnet. In my relaxed days, that would have surely resulted in squashed curls, but the natural hair may hold up. I will probably separate the curls more because right now I kinda look like Shirley Temple. :drunk:

Let me know what you think! :yep:

Flexi-rod set.jpg

Flexi-rod set 2.jpg

Flexi-rod set 3.jpg

Flexi-rod set 4.jpg

Oh, and don't be fooled by that first pic...the camera's flash was on...it's not that shiny!

Last edited:
I think it turned out very well. I plan to try flexi rods in the winter, it's too hot in Florida now.

Very nice! I love the shine! I would click the Thank you button but I dont see it so thanks for sharing.

It came out great. I want to try this when it gets colder. I need to get smaller rods though. The ones I have now are too large now that I cut my hair.

Back