Finger Detanglers please stand up

I wish I could but it takes so long...
I used to do this only when I was in the shower, I would finger comb the shampoo through to reduce tangles.

You did go and try it?! :spinning: So you bought it? What did you use on ur hair to detangle? I think I watched on youtube vids that u shouldn't heavily soak the hair in condish before using the TT.

I took one twist down in the back and tried it so I don't know if that counts as "detangling, detangling"...but it was okay.

A lot of people like it, my only gripe is that the teeth are too scratchy imo. I feel like over time it might cause damage to the ends or something...I'm going to wait it out and see how it goes with people who use it on a regular basis...

But if I am not mistaken, isn't your Aunt using it lol! She is really in love with it :grin:

But if I am not mistaken, isn't your Aunt using it lol! She is really in love with it :grin:

:lachen: Girl yes! She reminds me on FB how much she loves that darn TT. I've tried to talk her into finger detangling..she won't hear non-of-it :lol: Matter of fact, I need to pop in at NP. She reminds me that I've been neglecting it..

I use to finger detangle when I first joined because I wanted to try out some of everything at the point in time because I was an eager beaver. I quickly learned finger detangling takes way too long so I stopped. I only finger detangle now mid-week to help smooth the strands but it's not my primary means of detangling. I now figured that my hair can withstand gentle combing within reason if my hair is healthy and balanced. The tangle teezer is an awesome little tool for detangling. This has helped my wash day regi tremendously. It's so awesome that typically, I wash a one day and detangle the following day on dry hair with no issues.

When you decided to finger detangle, was your hair dry, moist, wet? What products did you use? For only 9 weeks post, that sounds like a lot of darn work you had to endure :nono:

Oh yeah, did you detangle before or after? I detangle before my cleansing or co-wash session. HTH

You did go and try it?! :spinning: So you bought it? What did you use on ur hair to detangle? I think I watched on youtube vids that u shouldn't heavily soak the hair in condish before using the TT.

Nasdaq_Diva, thank you, my friend! i was thinking...is it me, or what?:lachen:9 weeks is too short a time for all THIS trouble!
maybe it's because my hair was air dryng, so mostly it was dry by the time i got to the last of it.
what i did was practically bathe it in oil after my ayurvedic paste, so i left the oil in to help detangle.
do you think it could be because i've been doing everything with my hair in braids for so long?:perplexed

Okay, I wanna try.... between PS styles. I also think this will be fine when I have loose hair, I could just bun for the week and tie it down and boar brush the front... Hopefully there will be no lumps.

i love finger detangling...less breakage, more retention, and better curl definition

+1 - I'm just past a year post relaxer, so I'm still in the short hair club, but I finger detangle every time I wet my hair. Also keeping it stretched during styling with twists/twist outs, I don't run into detangling issues. Even after a wash n go, I just let the water completely saturate, and cowash the product out and I don't have any issues with tangles. *crosses fingers*

Okay, I wanna try.... between PS styles. I also think this will be fine when I have loose hair, I could just bun for the week and tie it down and boar brush the front... Hopefully there will be no lumps.

Aviah, brava! you can do it!:yep:

I finger detangle on oil rinsed hair under running water, and then on deep conditioned hair, once a week. During the week, since I moisruize with water and conditioner, I only remove the shed hair.

I've been doing this for 6 months and I'm happy with the results.

In order to easily finger detangle without spending hours I MUST:

oil rinse everytime I wash
regularly moisturize with conditioner
wash once a week
completely avoid styling and moisturizing products that are 100% butters or waxes (if I don't want freeforming dreadlocks near my scalp after about 2-3 days)

I've been finger detangling for the last few weeks....and I prefer it. I had a sneaking suspicion that the denman brush was contributing to recent split ends. So lately, I've been letting the Wen Sweet Almond Mint sit on wet hair, the tangles seem to melt right away, and I can detangle under the shower head. It works well if done in sections. I'm going to keep doing this to see if it makes a big difference in the long run.

@Nasdaq_Diva, thank you, my friend! i was thinking...is it me, or what?:lachen:9 weeks is too short a time for all THIS trouble!
maybe it's because my hair was air dryng, so mostly it was dry by the time i got to the last of it.
what i did was practically bathe it in oil after my ayurvedic paste, so i left the oil in to help detangle.
do you think it could be because i've been doing everything with my hair in braids for so long?:perplexed

I dont know about your hair, but for me I can't safely detangle with just oil. I need something that has some type of slip to it. So I'll add oil + aloe juice or something or maybe conditioner and water.

I have been keeping my braids in for weeks at a time, under my braids. I'm still only fully detangling in like 2hrs. And I'm fully natural SL/APL

eta: I haven't however done any pastes while my hair is in braids though. Just tea w/ aritha or shikakai. I dont want the granules getting stuck in the braids.

I finger detangle on oil rinsed hair under running water, and then on deep conditioned hair, once a week. During the week, since I moisruize with water and conditioner, I only remove the shed hair.

I've been doing this for 6 months and I'm happy with the results.

In order to easily finger detangle without spending hours I MUST:

oil rinse everytime I wash
regularly moisturize with conditioner
wash once a week
completely avoid styling and moisturizing products that are 100% butters or waxes (if I don't want freeforming dreadlocks near my scalp after about 2-3 days)

ciccina, thank you so much for the detailed account of how you do it!:grin:
maybe i need more protein because if i try to even move my hair under running water, all i hear is rrrrrrriiiiiiipppppp, then i go ooooouuuuch!

in 3 days i will henna and indigo, so they say this will help strengthen, but it's my first time trying it, so we'll see.

i'm glad this has been working so well for you for 6 months, though!:yep:
looks like you've found yourself a keeper!:yep:

to the bolded: i am in shock!:blush: haven't all the ladies always said butters are our friends? i heavily butter my hair when wearing it in braids because they seem to penetrate more than just oil (i butter on top of oil) i had no idea that could cause this dreadloc effect i get!:perplexed

thanks for the info!

I dont know about your hair, but for me I can't safely detangle with just oil. I need something that has some type of slip to it. So I'll add oil + aloe juice or something or maybe conditioner and water.

I have been keeping my braids in for weeks at a time, under my braids. I'm still only fully detangling in like 2hrs. And I'm fully natural SL/APL

eta: I haven't however done any pastes while my hair is in braids though. Just tea w/ aritha or shikakai. I dont want the granules getting stuck in the braids.

Nasdaq_Diva, maybe it's what you said about the "only oil" that is my problem.
after washing everything out, i always thought oil would help rid the tangles but it's prolly not enough.
at 9 wks post, the ng needs more somethin' to not tangle up in the shed hairs.
thanks, gotta stock up on that kckt and use that avjuice more!
i like the kimmay thingy....with the jbco...is that how you do it?

to the bolded: braids on the braids?:rolleyes:

hhj ladies! thanks ladies!

to the bolded: i am in shock!:blush: haven't all the ladies always said butters are our friends? i heavily butter my hair when wearing it in braids because they seem to penetrate more than just oil (i butter on top of oil) i had no idea that could cause this dreadloc effect i get!:perplexed

Hey Grow I hope you are doing well :rolleyes:
If butters are your friends then definitely go for them :yep: They can be wonderful for some people and I have tried all of them for a year because I was angry that my hair didn't do what other people's hair did :lol:. I'm not as lucky: my natural texture, even if left productless, tends to form a dreadlock area on the scalp only after about 3 days.
Same thing if I try to massage my scalp.
Keeping my hair stretched and lubricated with conditioner and oil eliminated my problem 200% and forever, as they separate the single strands.
When I was texturized this didn't happen, though.
When I was transitioning, this happened along the demarcation area.

It seems like waxes and butters bind to my sebum and make my texture shrink here and there in knots... I can use them but I need to shampoo a couple of days later... Otherwise it just takes more to detangle and... well, I'm lazy :lol: (I mean that it takes me 10 to 20 minutes instead of hours)

Last edited:
@Nasdaq_Diva, maybe it's what you said about the "only oil" that is my problem.
after washing everything out, i always thought oil would help rid the tangles but it's prolly not enough.
at 9 wks post, the ng needs more somethin' to not tangle up in the shed hairs.
thanks, gotta stock up on that kckt and use that avjuice more!
i like the kimmay thingy....with the jbco...is that how you do it?

to the bolded: braids on the braids?:rolleyes:

hhj ladies! thanks ladies!
@grow,

Yes, the aloe vera juice works wonders for my hair. :yep: My kimmay leave in is: GVP condish balm, WGO, and Castor Oil. I'm gonna try Hempz condish instead for my next leave in.

I have a good thread on pre-poo from Chicoro: I've used that to finger detangle with too w/ great results. Pre-Poo

eta: Yeah, I meant braids under my wig :lol: I haven't worn my hair 'out' in any form since like October. I miss playing in it. :sad:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=509482

Nasdaq_Diva
i loved that pre poo thread and use that technique to do the liquid portion of my ayurvedic pastes!
since i keep them on for 4-5 hours these days, i can really feel the difference with the penetration of moisture!
thanks for sharing her recipie as i didn't know about it before!

you haven't seen your hair out since october?!
girl, how do you do it?!
it's only been since january that i haven't seen mine and i'm already getting stir crazy, lol!
are you still doing the ayurveda?
guess what, girlie?
i finally managed a way to do the larger quantities without the mold growing on top!
i mix a weeks worth at a time.
it's all stored in an airtight glass container that i keep in the fridge, so this makes things alot easier not having to mix every single time!
lately i discovered that my hair likes mayonaise in my mixes, have you ever tried it?
it's really good and i can surely feel the difference when i don't use it.
thanks for all these detangling tips!

hhj ladies!

Who detangles with their fingers after their weekly wash? Fingers only? I have been detangling THOROUGHLY with my fingers only after each wash since my relaxer. I find that it REALLY WORKS FOR ME :) I find that I loose less hair at wash time, and if I am patient with detangling, I am able to get rid of most sheds, and avoid hair matting. It takes patience, whereas with combing, you may be able to detangle your whole head in about 10 minutes, with finger combing it takes about 30. However, I find I love the results. Are there any finger detanglers here? If so, don't you love it???!! :)

Yup, finger comber here! I have been finger detangling prewash and during the wash if needed as well.

For me this also = less breakage, IMHO b/c my fingers can FEEL tangles/knots (I am natural ) and carefully destroy them without ripping like a comb/brush/tangle teaser ect might do.

This is what works for me, so hey, if it ain't broke, I will not try to fix it!:spinning:

Bump as I now do this and love it. It doesn't take me long at all as I do it while my hair is air drying. I use a comb to smooth a style into place if needed.

STANDING!
I love it and hate it.
I did this for the most part from April through to Oct when I finally got a touch up and I had not had a relaxer since last year December, so that was nearly 10 months.
I plan on continuing this, but combed yesterday after 5 weeks since my relaxer because I got impatient. I don't want to do that again. I lose less hair when I finger deangle and I remove the shed hairs without pulling out others unneccessarily. So I like finger detangling because of this, but hate it because it takes hours. HALF AN HOUR IS GOOD OP!

I also love/hate it, but mainly love it. I rarely use the comb. Well, I mainly use the comb to part my twists...

I'm a finger comber which I think might be what some may call finger detangling, except I think of "detangling" as removing tangles but coz my hair is usually in some stretched state free of tangles, I consider what I do finger-combing.

I do indeed love it! I find it relaxing and I find I'm able to remove shed hair with ease. I never work on a whole head at a time. Usually I finger comb a mini-twist section or mini-braid section at a time when I'm wearing either 24/7. Usually I do this while watching TV which is when I might feel for any twist or braid that needs redoing, undo it, finger comb, re-twist/braid.

I'm a finger comber which I think might be what some may call finger detangling, except I think of "detangling" as removing tangles but coz my hair is usually in some stretched state free of tangles, I consider what I do finger-combing.

I do indeed love it! I find it relaxing and I find I'm able to remove shed hair with ease. I never work on a whole head at a time. Usually I finger comb a mini-twist section or mini-braid section at a time when I'm wearing either 24/7. Usually I do this while watching TV which is when I might feel for any twist or braid that needs redoing, undo it, finger comb, re-twist/braid.

Nonie I like to give credit where credit is due...it was your video on the 2 strands twists that gave me the visual of 'finger combing' that's when I thought I'd try it on myself and have fallen in love...THANKS:grin:

I've been finger detangling for the past couple of washes and it's been a lot easier on the wear and tear of my hair.

Sent from my MB525 using MB525

I know I'm late but I finger detangle only on wet hair. If a brush gouges my hair, it's cuz I'm doing a wet bun (so glad my hair is finally long enuf!!!! Even tho I still cover with a phony bun lol) and want my hair to lay smooth before I put the scarf on

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Bump! Another topic made me think of this thread. It's been 2 years 3 months since I ditched the comb. I don't miss it at all.

Back