~!~ FINE HAIR ladies ~!~

@Imani, you might want to try @westNDNbeauty's method for flat ironing. She recommended super saturating the hair with moisture via poo and conditioning routes before attempting to flat iron.

Here is the thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=431336&highlight=moisture+flat+iron

I am almost at the point where I want to play with flat ironing occasionally so that I can add another hairstyle to my playbook.

Yeah, I remember that thread. I think I posted in it actually. This is pretty much the method I always use and still don't have the same results as the salon. I use the same flat irons and blow dryer and everything. i also have a steamer at home. :perplexed I think a lot of it has to do with technique. Now that I've gotten more familiar with my hair I have a few things up my sleeve I want to try and will hopefully yield some good results. I occasionally wear a section of my hair straight to blend w/straight half wigs, so I will experiment on a small section first so as not to jack up my whole head:lol:

Ok, sorry for derailing the thread. lol.

**Fine hair checking in**

I use little to no protein or silicone in my daily products which includes moisturizers, oils, shampoos, and leave-ins which has help keep my hair from drying out and not allowing moisturize to penetrate.

I only use protein in my deep conditioners when needed.

If you can keep that in mind while buying products, you can keep your stash to a minimum. Also just because your hair is fine, does not mean you can skip daily moisturizing, you just might need something that's lighter than someone who has thick hair.

Where do you purchase Joico ? I've never seen it at a beauty supply store

Ulta, some ladies say JC Penney's (those with salons) and Trade Secret. All national stores.

I know a few local BSS that sell it but you can also check their website for local places as well.

Honeybee, I'm texlaxed as well, how are you wearing your hair daily? I'm
Doing a lot of braid outs and my hair can't take the manipulation and keeps breaking after I undo the braids

Nonie, do you baggy your whole head or you do sections? Is your hair damp when you baggy?

TiA

**Fine hair checking in**

I use little to no protein or silicone in my daily products which includes moisturizers, oils, shampoos, and leave-ins which has help keep my hair from drying out and not allowing moisturize to penetrate.

I only use protein in my deep conditioners when needed.

If you can keep that in mind while buying products, you can keep your stash to a minimum. Also just because your hair is fine, does not mean you can skip daily moisturizing, you just might need something that's lighter than someone who has thick hair.

This sounds similar to my regimen. I am just in love w/Bee Mine Luscious as my moisturizer right now and have been for the past few months. My hair is too dry for the light leave-in condish type products as a moisturizer, but yet heavy/butter butter based products don't do anything but sit on top of my hair. This product seems to be just about right for me.

I have yet to find a use for butters on my hair at all really. Even tho I'm type 4 and it seems like a lot of type 4's like them.

Fine-hair checking in:

Weekly: Wash, Lite Protein (Aphogee 2min) before deep conditioning with SE Megasilk

When I skip my weekly Protein my ends start to break probably from over moisture because I moisturize and seal daily.

Honeybee, I'm texlaxed as well, how are you wearing your hair daily? I'm
Doing a lot of braid outs and my hair can't take the manipulation and keeps breaking after I undo the braids
asakeba, I tried braid-outs for a while and had the same problem. I do twist-outs now, way less manipulation. When it's in a delicate state (like the dead of winter), I load up with cones and oils and do a flexi set. I figure coating the strand will keep the good stuff in and protect my strands; and the set keeps me from having to comb it for a few days.

@ everybody, I notice a lot of ladies swear by the Aphogee 2 min. It would be helpful if people said whether they were natural or relaxed so we can get a feel for who might benefit most from using it. This thread is a nice resource for newbies. :yep:

I'm natural and one of the reason I'm don't do any "out"/loose styles is bc I'm afraid of having to manipulate my hair so much. My hair does not do well w/ a lot of manipulation. right now I'm just in plaits under wigs all the time until I reach my length goal. And even once I get there I could easily see myself wearing a protective style most of the time like twists (also for convenience, I like easy low maintenance styles).

I'm natural and my hair is very fine. Regular protein treatments have really helped my hair. I've started using henna to thicken up my strands.

Air-drying
Light trims (2x a year)
DC once a week using Silk Elements MegaSilk Moisturizing Treatment
Moisturize and seal at least once a day, using an aloe vera/distilled water/glycerin/rosemary and peppermint oil mix, HE LTR leave-in, and either avocado, brahmi, or EVOO oil
Shampooing once a month to clean scalp
Co-wash once a week (until the Summer, which is 2-3 days a week) using either HE HH leave-in or Suave Almond and Shea Butter
Protective styling (buns, updos)
Low manipulative styling (ponytails, braidouts)
Henna (once a month)

I use Creme of Nature, Henna Placenta, and a Mix of EVoo, Elasta QP Soyoil Conditioner and one n only Argan Oil Restorative Mask when I bun or twist~

I’m a fine-haired natural and the things that work for my hair are:

1. Protein-Using protein on a consistent basis gives my hair the strength it needs. The proteins that I use are AO GPB, Aphogee 2-minute, and avocado oil.

2. Low Manipulation-The only styles that I really do are twists and twist outs. Also, I don’t put a lot of styling products on my hair.

3. Carefully monitoring how I apply products to my hair-For the most part, less is more when it comes to my hair (especially in regards to styling products). The only exception to this rule is conditioner. I do tend to use a bit more conditioner on my hair.

4. Detangling thoroughly without causing loads of stress on my hair-In the past, I used to spray a leave-in on my hair and comb and comb and comb. All that resulted in was breakage. I have learned to saturate my hair with oil and conditioner, and let them do the bulk of the work for me. Now I don’t have to really fight with my styling tools because the conditioner and oil have does most of the work for me.

5. Shampooing my hair every time that I wash it: Shampooing my hair consistently cuts down on my chances of acquiring build-up.

6. Keeping up with dustings and trims-My hair suffers when I don’t keep up with dustings and trims.

I have very fine, natural hair and it has been shedding like mad. Does anyone have any suggestion on how I can keep the shedding to a minimum? I have been doing henna treatments and taking hair vitamins and silica. I also finger detangle and braid my hair at night, and sleep with a satin scarf. I'm also thingking about protein treatments, but I'm not sure where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

I have very fine, natural hair and it has been shedding like mad. Does anyone have any suggestion on how I can keep the shedding to a minimum? I have been doing henna treatments and taking hair vitamins and silica. I also finger detangle and braid my hair at night, and sleep with a satin scarf. I'm also thingking about protein treatments, but I'm not sure where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Try taking garlic supplements and/or use a garlic shampoo or conditioner.:yep:

garlic supplements aren't so great for shedding I've been taking them for about 5 years to maintain my blood pressure. They are natural blood thinners. I also think they cause veins to buldge.

What works for me is:
Using protein on a weekly basis, Emergencee, Megatek or UBH conditioner.
Keeping my hair in twists under a half wig.
Using One N Only Argan Oil to seal my ends. Keeps the SSK at bay.
I do not detangle in the shower with conditioner. I lose way too much hair!
Using Henna & Indigo gives my hair thickness.
Aloe Vera Juice helps with smoothing the cuticle/detangling.

Some products that work for me, but not limited to are:
Poos - Nexxus Therappe, CON (green label), Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
Con - Nexxus Humectress, Silicon Mix, Mane N Tail,
Leave in - KCNT, Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier, Kimmay, HE NOYF
Moisturizer - Creme Lotion by Cathy Howse
Oils - Coconut Oil

Fine Hair loves protein BUTTTTT it absolutely must be followed by a very good moisturizer. I find that if the moisture is not sufficient it will break with a quickness.

The proteins that I really like are
Duo-TEx
GPB
and Lamaur Bone morrow it seem to thicken my hair but I cannot find it in Dallas.

my fine hair has gotten thicker with the use of wheat germ oil . Now most of my reggie is all about wheat germ oil. I gotta admit since I protein overloaded my hair as soon as I bc'd I am deathly afraid of using protien heavy products.
I recently tweaked my weekly reggie and I'm on week 3 of this and I'm loving it!
step 1. shampoo with organix tea tree & mint (i don't like it but gotta use it up) mixed 50/50 with HE or V05 conditioner
step 2. conditioner mixed with 1 large egg and wheat germ oil and cover for 15 min
step 3. deep condition (ORS pak or Cholesteral) for 10 min and rinse with cool water.
step 4. moisturize with HE LTR spritz with infusium leave in and I seal my ends first w/ wheat germ oil then entire length with my whipped shea/avocado/mango butter which i mixed with amla/wheat germ/grapeseed oils all equal parts except a lil more wheat germ of course. yeah my hair stinks a lil but I wear half wigs alot so its all good.

Share your regimens/products that actually works for your "fine hair".

I am in the process of simplifying my regimen and getting rid of all the products that don't work. I am trying to stick to 3 well maybe 4 poos and 3 or 4 conditioners and then the other stuff i.e volumizer, leave ins, henna, oils, lotions potions etc. Spring cleaning going on.

Co-washing with what ever's handy. :lol: My faves so far are HELTR, Mane n Tail, HECMH, Silk Elements Megasilk Olive Conditioner, and I want to try some of the Tresemme Naturals.

DCing with Silk Elements Olive Moisturizing Treatment, Phytokarite, and lots of oils, straight and mixed in with conditioners and DC's.

Daily Maintenance was a conditioner mix for leave ins but now I'm experimenting with Qhemet Biologics :lick: and so far I am soooo :love2: gone. I wish I had known about it earlier. It makes my hair so soft and my scalp is very happy. It's one of the only lines that didn't make me itch. I'm wanting to go back for the detangling ghee.

Aloe vera juice is ok every now and again (when mixed with other stuff) but too much of it makes my hair curse. Right now I'm using it as a moisturizing pre-poo (read about it in Chicoro's book. A fantastic read. I had to go back and read it again. :yep: )

I find that stretching, co-washing, brushing with a bristle brush and not trimming/cutting, products with cones cause me set backs. Low/no manipulation, protective styling, no heat = retained length.

My Staples are
Kenra MC
Kenra Chelating Poo
Skala Ceramide G3 poo
Duo Tex Protein
Lenzi's Request hair growth oil
Lotta Body foaming setting
still testing Volumizers
Chi serum although I rarely use it

Henna has been replaced with using more ceramide products.

I keep seeing all of these cute natural styles I want to try. But I know they won't look the same on my hair since its not thick:sad:

My strands have multiple personalities. The perimeter of my hair NEEDS protein whereas the center is fine with or without it. The strands in the center seem to be more resilient than the front-nape and sides.

Anyhow my staples are as follows:
Live Clean Exotic Nectar Argan oil Shampoo (sulfate free)
Tresemme Naturals Moisture Conditioner
AO GPB in between protein treatments
Aphogee 2 step
My leave in is basically diluted conditioner
Infusium 23 Moisture Leave-in and Africa's Best Braid spray (while in twists)

I've been a modified CG for the past 6 months. Aphogee and the infusium + the braid spray are the only non-CG products in my stash.

I'm currently protective styling for the entire year and it has been doing wonders (I am SL after BC'ing last September)
So my reggie is basically low/no manipulation. I wore crochet braid styles for 6 months (each install lasted 2 months) and for the next 6 months I'll be wearing kinky twists following the Crown and Glory method.

With crochets I washed weekly, and deep conditioned the hair I had access to, and also made sure to moisturize daily.

With twists I'll wash whenever my scalp starts to give me the itchies. I must say, it's been 2 weeks thus far and my scalp is doing well. No itchies. I moisturize every 3 days following the C&G method and retwist my hairline braids every 2 weeks.

In between installs I :

Detangle thoroughly, wash, protein treat, deep condition, moisturize, air-dry in braids and lightly blow-out my hair for the next install. So I use heat (aside from my DC's about 6 times a year).

I hope to start playing around with Cassia and later on Henna to thicken up my strands, especially in my nape area. I've been a bit apprehensive as I fear a change of curl pattern especially in my already loose 3a/B nape. It hangs straight when wet meanwhile the rest of my hair is defined and much curlier.

Long post, I know but I figured the details might catch the interest of someone who is also protectively styling throughout the year.

Oh!! I've also been massaging my scalp daily the past few weeks in hopes that it will aid my growth rate and restore the thickness to my nape. I had a set back before I bc'd. Basically the satin scarf I wore for months and tied in the same area thinned out my nape. It isn't horrible, but I've got a centimeter wide line in my nape area that is thinner than the section of hair below and above it. Sucks...

Last edited:
I keep seeing all of these cute natural styles I want to try. But I know they won't look the same on my hair since its not thick:sad:
awww don't let that stop you. TRUST ME, my hair is NOT thick. I have mastered the art of illusion.:look::grin:
some tips: to get some volume in a braidout/twistout, i flip my head upside down and fluff at the roots.
i regularly sacrifice definition for more volume.
wear styles as long as possible, i.e. 3rd day braidout>1st day braidout

Re: anything on the scalp. For me only AVG or juice before going under the steamer. Recently I started adding eucalyptus oil to the AVG before applying it to my scalp.

Last edited:
Do you all apply anything directly to your scalp?

I'm using QB's Tea Tree & Grapeseed Therapeutic Pomade from time to time. Applied with a light hand, I can get away with using it 1-2x a week and the (tea tree) smell doesn't last long. I like it fairly well. It absorbs well and most importantly it doesn't make me itch.

It's all natural (100% vegan) and doesn't contain mineral oil, lanolin, proteins, silicones, artificial fragrances, dyes or parabens. Good stuff. :yep:

Back