~!~ FINE HAIR ladies ~!~

Re: anything on the scalp. For me only AVG or juice before going under the steamer. Recently I started adding eucalyptus oil to the AVG before applying it to my scalp.

Yesterday, was my first time applying avg to my scalp and my scalp felt wonderful. I will apply it again at my next wash to see if I get the same results. If so, I will add it to my regimen. Can you share how much eucalyptus oil you add? Also, are you steaming your hair before or after you poo?

thanks in advance for your response,
tishee

Yesterday, was my first time applying avg to my scalp and my scalp felt wonderful. I will apply it again at my next wash to see if I get the same results. If so, I will add it to my regimen. Can you share how much eucalyptus oil you add? Also, are you steaming your hair before or after you poo?

thanks in advance for your response,
tishee

I add about 2 drops...when I first started my journey I used it a lot in my scalp with jojoba oil and within a week and a half all my dry scalp was gone. I've recently introduced it after reading an article that eucalyptus in the scalp (no so much the hair) helps increase ceramides - http://relaxedhairhealth.blogspot.com/2011/04/double-amount-of-ceramide-in-your-hair.html.
As for my beloved steamer...I steam on 'dirty' hair...so I dampen my hair either with aloe vera gel or a spritz of SAA and water. Then add a moisture or protein treatment, then oils then a little giovanni conditioner then steam. Lovely results everytime:grin:

Last edited:
if avg is aloe vera gel, I use to apply that to my scalp also, then I learned that it was a light protein, my hair was breaking because of it.

if avg is aloe vera gel, I use to apply that to my scalp also, then I learned that it was a light protein, my hair was breaking because of it.

Interesting...my hair likes light proteins so maybe that's why it's been good for me.

Fine haired lady here. For those who use MegaTek, what exactly are you using? The shampoo, conditioner? I'm thinking of adding it to my reggie because my hair needs a consistent dose of protein. I'm natural and I do like the Aphogee 2 min, Emergencee and henna for my protein fix.

I add about 2 drops...when I first started my journey I used it a lot in my scalp with jojoba oil and within a week and a half all my dry scalp was gone. I've recently introduced it after reading an article that eucalyptus in the scalp (no so much the hair) helps increase ceramides - http://relaxedhairhealth.blogspot.com/2011/04/double-amount-of-ceramide-in-your-hair.html.
As for my beloved steamer...I steam on 'dirty' hair...so I dampen my hair either with aloe vera gel or a spritz of SAA and water. Then add a moisture or protein treatment, then oils then a little giovanni conditioner then steam. Lovely results everytime:grin:

Thanks Nix! After your steam treatment, do you just shampoo and apply your leave in/seal your hair?

tia,
tishee

I wear 'out' styles daily. Just like in my siggy an avatar. I do not DC every week like I used to when I was relaxed. My hair likes heavy creams. Not too sure about butters. Butters always make my hair itch. I only use one product and that's Qhemets AOHC. You will not find any other product in my home. I have 2 tubs of the Burdock Root cream and it's never been touched. Too light for me. I also detangle with my fingers after wearing it like it is in my siggy which is a twistout. I retwist every night. and I just bought AO GPB and I love it! I also love the honeysuckle rose. I used the GPB last week and fell in love. I plan to DC on Friday. Almost forgot, I bought some curlformers off the exchange forum. Might be doing that to keep my hair stretched for 2 weeks at a time. And once the curls drop just do twistouts.

What is ceramides and what does it do?

@pookaloo83 here's a quote from the attached link:
"For those of us who aren't familiar with ceramides allow me to help shed some light. Ceramides pretty much act like the "sealer" that helps keep the cuticle layer in tact. The cuticle layer is what protects our hair from potential damage. I can almost guarantee you that if you were to look at various strands damaged hair under a microscope, one thing they'd all have in common is the degradation of the cuticle. The cuticle layer protects and the cuticle layer helps preserve moisture. Without it, our hair is vulnerable. "

http://relaxedhairhealth.blogspot.com/2011/04/double-amount-of-ceramide-in-your-hair.html
and
http://relaxedhairhealth.blogspot.com/2010/01/stronger-cuticle-layer-with-ceramides.html

Last edited:
Do any of you fine haired gals use aphogee two step and have no problems? I find that it makes my strands stick together and makes detangling a nightmare... On the plus side of it it makes me lose like only two hairs when I roller set so I still want to use it. Am I doing something wrong or is it just my fine hair type causing this issue?

Sent from my ADR6400L using ADR6400L

Do any of you fine haired gals use aphogee two step and have no problems? I find that it makes my strands stick together and makes detangling a nightmare... On the plus side of it it makes me lose like only two hairs when I roller set so I still want to use it. Am I doing something wrong or is it just my hair type causing this issue?

blackberry815
I use this without any issue. It is the only strong protein treatment that leaves my hair soft. And I agree that it stops breakage in its tracks.

I never detangle directly after doing the treament. Following Ahogee 2 step I use a really moisturizing DC and steam THEN detangle. I dont find any issues doing this.

blackberry815
I use this without any issue. It is the only strong protein treatment that leaves my hair soft. And I agree that it stops breakage in its tracks.

I never detangle directly after doing the treament. Following Ahogee 2 step I use a really moisturizing DC and steam THEN detangle. I dont find any issues doing this.

Thanks. last time I deep conditioned with mizani moisturefuse following the protein. It didn't help at all LOL... I'm gonna give a try tonight with my steamer its time to wipe the dust off that thing...

Since aloe and fine hair is a topic...I'm a lurker really but thought I'd share that aloe is officially my holy grail. AV juice is all I use to moisturize and seal my hair. Yes...seal. Kimmaytube says its the pH; others say its a film from it that covers the strands. All I know is it works. I spray aloe on dry hair and flat twist; 8 to 10. It last a week and I wet again with av juice, retwist to get another week. It does what gel and butters couldn't - define, shine, and doesn't weigh it down. I'll post pics when I can.

all you ladies who say you have fine hair -seem to have very thick hair. fine hair to me is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moHD-LjFnao or even my own jacked up thin hair
S1050007.jpg
is what i call thin. i'd love to have some of your heads of hair

all you ladies who say you have fine hair -seem to have very thick hair. fine hair to me is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moHD-LjFnao or even my own jacked up thin hair
S1050007.jpg

Will try to check out the video later. I thought I had thick hair until I started reading up on the board. I was confused because when I twist my hair I look almost bald but when it is out there is a looot of hair. What I found is that I have dense hair, a lot of it, but the strands are fine.

So you can have fine hair with varying densities. Perhaps you have fine hair with low to medium density.

S1050007.jpg

When we say we have fine hair we are speaking of the size of strand of hair itself. You can have a lot of fine hairs and you can have thin hair with coarse strands.... If that makes any sense.

S1050007.jpg

@asakeba I think most of the ladies in this thread have fine strands. We are refering to the size of the individual strand.

What you are talking about is the overall density. You can have fine strands but have high density, meaning more fine strands per square inch.

Last edited:
Another fine-haired natural checking in..
My overall regimen is to PS about 90% of the time.

Cooler Temps
-Cornrows + wigs/headwraps/berets/tams/hats
-Rinse daily
-Cowash 1-2 times/wk
-M&S twice/day
-Wash + lite protein tx + moisturizing DC weekly
-Take down cornrows one at a time and then rebraid as I go

Or

-Extension braids/twists for 3+ weeks.

Warmer Temps
-Low mani style = mini braids w/natural hair (redo every 2-3 weeks)
-Cowash almost daily
-M&S at night
-Wash every 1.5-2 weeks
-lite protein weekly

*Detangle only when I'm switching/redoing styles (fingers only)
*No combing or brushing (occasional picking when doing a fro style)
*Clarify when necessary
*Suave Tropical Coconut as leave-in, moisturizer and to mix in moisturizing/braid spray (+ oil and water)
*Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (mix w/ayurveda powders to wash and cowash)
*EVOO, Grapeseed oil and EO's for scent

--Fit in whatever topical growth aid I'm trying at the moment before moisturizing.

Sorry so long!

Since aloe and fine hair is a topic...I'm a lurker really but thought I'd share that aloe is officially my holy grail. AV juice is all I use to moisturize and seal my hair. Yes...seal. Kimmaytube says its the pH; others say its a film from it that covers the strands. All I know is it works. I spray aloe on dry hair and flat twist; 8 to 10. It last a week and I wet again with av juice, retwist to get another week. It does what gel and butters couldn't - define, shine, and doesn't weigh it down. I'll post pics when I can.

Hey ladies,
Just posting my pics as promised. The pics aren't great, but at least you get a sense of aloe's magic. I did a close up for the last pic to show why I call my hair fine. I have medium to low density, but the individual strands are practically invisible when they escape the clump.

aloe 1.jpg

aloe 2.jpg

aloe 3.jpg

I noticed that many of you are using Aphogee two minute weekly. Is that because the aphogee two step is too much for a weekly use? I noticed that my hair really likes the aphogee two step when I use it once month and wanted to increase the use for my fine strands. Is it a bad idea to use that weekly?

I noticed that many of you are using Aphogee two minute weekly. Is that because the aphogee two step is too much for a weekly use? I noticed that my hair really likes the aphogee two step when I use it once month and wanted to increase the use for my fine strands. Is it a bad idea to use that weekly?

Hi Friend - and YES, it would be a very bad idea to use the 2-step weekly. It is a very strong protein treatment. It is designed to be used once every 6 weeks and the 2-minute is safe enough to use weekly.

I am thinking of going the no poo route anyone else use the WO method?

Last edited:
Fine-haired natural here.
I too have dense but fine strands and my hair really likes protein. My favourites are Aphogee 2 minute, Joico K pak reconstructor and occasionally, Megatek rebuilder.
My daily moisturizer/leave-in, sof'n'free is also protein rich.
I wash weekly with suphate -free shampoo (Giovanni Smooth as silk- which contains light protein) and occasionally co-wash with any available conditioner though I really like Garnier fructis repair and shine. I find that when I use the Aphogee 2 minute my hair feels strong and soft and I do not need to follow-up with a moisturizing DC but when I use the Joico or Megatek, I need to. When I feel my hair needs it, I use a moisturizing DC such as Silk elements megasilk. I also like Ojon hydrating conditioner though I hear its been discontinued. No matter; I tend to buy products I love in bulk so one haul typically lasts me about a year.
It took jumping on then falling off so many bandwagons which never worked before I really understood what my hair needed and I am so thankful I did.
Oddly enough, my hair is not a fan of henna; it made my hair too brittle.

I too have dense, majority fine to medium strands with sprinkles of coarse hair and I use the Ahpogee 2 min protein conditioner twice a month.

One day I was running low in the Aphogee and had already applied it to my wet hair so I decided to use the Nexxus Emergencee Protein reconstructor with it, alone these two prducts work great in my hair but together why, why, why! did I do it.....I don't know, I was hoping it would work together but it didn't...my hair had turned to dred locks.

I tried to finger detangle but it was getting hard like gel, so I ended up stripping my hair with Ion stripping shampoo, then the Emergencee and followed with a deep conditioner. Lesson learned, don't mix protein conditioners ever.

Back