~!~ FINE HAIR ladies ~!~

gn1g

Share your regimens/products that actually works for your "fine hair".

I am in the process of simplifying my regimen and getting rid of all the products that don't work. I am trying to stick to 3 well maybe 4 poos and 3 or 4 conditioners and then the other stuff i.e volumizer, leave ins, henna, oils, lotions potions etc. Spring cleaning going on.

Here is my trimmed down product list and regiment. I don't have any dominican products and I would like to use one uniform brand/line but unfortunately that doesn't work for me.

Shampoo q2wks
skala ceremides G3
Kenra chelating
Pantene Fine hair shampoo

Protein Conditioners once a month
Duo Tex protein
Nexxus Emergencee strengthening polymeric reconstructor

Moisturizing conditioners every wash
HE Hello hydration
Kenra Moisturizer

Aubrey GPD conditioner

Rinse every wash
Nettle tea
Rooboos tea
Sunflower oil

Leave in/Styling/other random use and products
Salerm placenta vegetable leave in
Biokera leave in
Egg
Groworks grow it serum root strengthener every other day love it must have
Apricot Kernal Oil
Lenzi’s request stimulator
A & D ointment
any kind of volumizer mousee

Most days it’s some sort of up do. Washday style is roller set

Vitamins:
garlic pill daily - mostly for hypertension
super complex B
Flax seed oil
Zinc lately due to loss of smell (this pill makes my stomache sick)
drink green tea all the time
Emergencee packet daily

Although the best pill for me is Spirilina and I will get back on that very very soon, the negative of Spilina is that it makes me darker and ashy:yep: Rose seed hip oil helps.

Last edited:
if you are trying to simplify, don't ask for reggies. HaHaHa.

Nexxus Vitatress shampoo
all types of reconstructors.
Henna/Cassia

*I use Megatek off and on, but can't say its really thickened my strands.

yup protein, protein, protein, my hair is fine and it loves it. It also loves to be left alone to do its own thing.

I've tried:

Aphoghee 2 step- 7/10 (works well, but smells really bad. I'd rather do a henna, but I still use it.
Henna- 9/10 (makes my hair thick and strong but its messy and I think its given me a sensitive scalp but I love the results on my hair)
Joico Deep penetrating recon- 10/10! I love this product, seriously...nothing bad to say about it. I leave it on for a few hours and my hair just feels strong, thick and soft. . . I love it.
Nexxus Emergencee-I have this product in my stash but I haven't tried it as yet. I've heard good things
Redken, the protein one? I forget the name, but its ok. Maybe I'm using it incorrectly. I may have to leave it in longer.

Low mani (braids or twists 24/7);

S Curl moisturizer if wearing hair out during which I always comb it out (never do WNGs);

DC with Emergencee or AO GPB once a week;

Wash (shampoo, conditioner, ACV rinse) twice a week--with one of those condishes being the DC. Any gel-like shampoo that is moisturizing (eg Giovanni 50:50, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa), any moisturizing conditioner (eg Aussie Dee...p, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa);

Baggy nightly w/o fail; and

Dust ends regularly.

Regimen: Lo-mani, preferred style is 2-strand twists
Products: Humectress, Goldwell Kerasilk, Henna gloss

Definitely lots of protein and low-mani styles. My main styles are twistouts (mine last 4-5 days now) and wet buns.

fave DC: ion Effective Care Treatment (moisture + protein)
fave shampoo: KC Come Clean
fave cowash: Giovanni Smooth as Silk OR HE Hello Hydration
fave leave-in: a bit of my co-wash conditioner, apHogee keratin + green tea reconstructor

my routine is pretty similar to lilsparkle's.

weekly:
DC on dry hair-I alternate between protein (Motions CPR) and moisture (Silk Elements)
shampoo-Silk Elements Moisturizing Shampoo
detangle
style-rollerset, flexi-rod set, braid n' curl, twist n'curl
my styles last the whole week, so i don't comb or really manipulate my hair at all during the week. it works really well for me.

Hmmm... seeing a trend that a lot of fine hair loves protein. My is very protein sensitive and loves moisture. Im still tweaking my regimen but so far I co wash daily with Aussie moist, treeseme naturals moisture, or hairveda moist 24-7. I then wear a puff and apply the same conditioner then qhemets honey balm, and hairveda vatika oil
Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App
edited for spelling errors.

Last edited:
I find that my hair needs protein often but I had difficulty moisturizing afterwards. Things are better now.

I prepoo with coconut oil night before or just prior to washing.
I wash with giovanni or ao shampoo
I oil rinse with grapeseed
Use condish giovanni or ao I do add aloevera juice to my condish to make it super moist

Protein days( 3 out of 4 washes)
Prepoo and use lekair cholesterol condish
Follow steps above.

After final rinse I spray aloe vera juice and allow to dry almost 50% and then I will seal with moisture and braid in sections to stretch hair. Style from there. Twists or ponies with ends tucked

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Long Hair Care Forum App

Hmmm... seeing attend that a lot of fine hair loves protein. My is very protein sensitive and loves moisture. Im still tweaking my regimen but so far I cash daily with Aussie moist, treeseme naturals moisture, or hairveda moist 24-7. I then wear a puff and apply the same conditioner then qhemets honey balm, and hairveda vatika oil
Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I am like you, I can't really do protein very much. My hair is naturally very very dry so protein dries my hair out. I usually focus on moisture. Most of my products are moisture based but with a little protein in some of them.

Staple moisturizer-Bee Mine Luscious Balanced (I believe it has a bit of protein in it)

shampoos-only use sulfate free, Bee Mine or Keracare
conditioners-Giovani SAS (has a little protein in it), Curl Junkie Banana Hibiscus, Bee Mine Beeutiful, Aubrey Organics Island Naturals (also has a little protein)

I take a multivit by Nature's Plus, Biotin, and folic acid

If I'm wearing straight hair, I don't put any products on my hair except maybe a little serum or else it will get weighed down and flat.

i cowash daily and wear wngs or a puff
my hair requires moisture, i don't need much protein, since a lot of the products i use have some form of protein in them
Kenra MC shampoo and conditioner
KCKT
Oyin Hair Dew, Juices and Berries, and Burnt Sugar Pomade
Scurl
Ecostyler Gel Olive

So I try to keep my hair products pretty cheap
Shampoo/clarify:I use v05 in a applicator bottle mixed with water I do this rarely though,acv,baking soda mix(about 1tbs of bs,water and alil oil)

Conditioners:sauve ,v05( the clarifying kiwi is my hairs fav for cowashing) ,Samys blue conditioner its the best(for me I dunno about your hair) it has moisture protein balance

I also henna but i hate to wash it out.As far as dc goes i use any varition of the above and a silk protein and oil of my choice to it and then sit under the dryer for 30min-2 hrs depending on my dc day.

As far as hair styles go i do weave ,kinky twist ,blow out or flat twist out and wash n gos during the summer.
I take biotin and i just started msm about two three weeks ago.

I have fine hair as well.

I find this works best for me. I use the following every other week:
Mild shampoo, Porosity Control, Megatek and then a moisturizing DC - Joico Intense Moisture <---- this is the main part of my program that has definitely thickened my hair.

on the opposite week, I poo followed by Alter Ego Garlic or Fekkai Ageless Luxe Condish.

Additionally, I try to make sure I am eating good clean foods and following up with my MSM, garlic tabs, Omega 3-6-9 and multi-vitamin.

I plan on using cassia soon and I pray that this is the product that will thicken and strengthen each individual strand.
I don't believe any particular shampoo, conditioner and/or styler I've used has contributed or deterred from my fine hair. To be honest though, I have not used any products geared toward fine hair.
Castor oil makes my hair "look fuller" but the strands have not changed IMO.
Protein may make my hair temporarily stronger, but not substantial enough to cause long term change.
Being very gentle is key, but I still struggle with patience at times.
I will definitely keep you all posted on the cassia.

I cowash daily, avoid styling products as much as I can, sulfate free shampoo 1x a week and do protein 1-2x a week. I don't moisturize and DC only once a month at most

I don't have any staple products really. as soon as I use one up I try something else. It keeps the PJ in me satisfied
I am very happy with this dominican product it makes my hair feel so thick
http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/H3AQ190408KZ0848.htm

My hair is fine and I'm texlaxed (if that makes a difference).

1. I use a pre-mixed henna (Surya brand), so it's neither messy nor too strong. I find that my hair's happiest when I do it twice a month.

2. I wash once a week usually to get rid of build up. I also co-wash once a week.

3. I use Aphogee 2 min whenever my hair gets wet. When I stopped, my hair suffered and I lost a little over an inch (which is why I'm no longer APL, but I'm >this< close). I guess my hair loves protein too.

4. When I touch-up, I dilute the relaxer (Vitale Sensitive Scalp No-Lye) with maybe a little less than an ounce of Aphogee 2 min. I like the idea of injecting some keratin into the strand while the perm has it all opened up.

5. I'm not sure if my hair will fall out (from too much protein), lol, but I did a TU yesterday. Before I did it, I sprayed a mixture of keratin AA's, SAA's, and wheat protein (heavily diluted with water) onto my hair and let it dry (it was hard as heck, too). Due to scheduling issues, I wasn't able to do the TU until the next day. End result: my hair is the strongest it has ever been, even the little bone-laxed scragglies at the ends! It's like it's not even my real hair. So, if all goes well, this blend is definitely a keeper! (and way cheaper than Emergencee, which I used last wash in preparation for the TU)

eta: I forgot, the mix from #5 may have stopped some breakage I was having. We'll see if I 'over-proteined', but thus far, no more breakage. :yay:

Last edited:
Fine haired lady checking in!

I deep condition twice a week with Matix Biolage Conditioning Balm on dry hair and co-wash with Yes to Cucumber conditioner. Moisturize daily with a mixture of Kinky Curly Knot today, Aloe Vera juice and coconut oil mixed together and "seal" with SheaMoisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I starting shampooing once a month with Kinky Curly Come Clean and it's actually working okay. I find this reggie is the right balance of moisture and protein for my hair and it's been working pretty good.

@freecurl... I've been eyeing cassia for awhile now. I was wondering if cassia would help thicken my hair.... please keep us posted because the PJ in me wants to buy some. :giggle:

Last edited:
I have fine hair as well.

I find this works best for me. I use the following every other week:
Mild shampoo, Porosity Control, Megatek and then a moisturizing DC - Joico Intense Moisture <---- this is the main part of my program that has definitely thickened my hair.

on the opposite week, I poo followed by Alter Ego Garlic or Fekkai Ageless Luxe Condish.

Additionally, I try to make sure I am eating good clean foods and following up with my MSM, garlic tabs, Omega 3-6-9 and multi-vitamin.

mzteaze Is this the same as the Joico Moisture Recovery or is this a discontinued line bc I don't see it on the Joico site.

Fine haired natural checking in. My prepoo and cowashing conditioners are Say Yes to Carrots, Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose, Aubrey Organics White Camellia, Desert Essence's Hydrating Shea butter, and Submerse deep conditioner. I only use the Aubrey conditioners as my deep conditioner. I use Aphogee 2 min reconstructor once every 3 weeks. My leave-ins are Sheascentit Coco creme, and Alba leave in. To seal my leave-in I use Qhemet's Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee, and peach kernel oil.

I am sorry Imani, I freestyled the name, it's Joico K-Pak Moisture Intense Hydrator.

lol @ freestyling. :lol: I've actually used the one you are talking about it didn't do anything for my hair, think its bc the k-pak line has too much protein for me. Funny thing is when I googled it, there actually seems to have been a discontinued line with the the original name u said, lol. I want to try some joico or aveda products for when i flat iron (thats the only time i use cone based products). Been looking at the Joico Moisture Recovery and Aveda Dry Remedy.

Fine haired lady checking in!

@freecurl... I've been eyeing cassia for awhile now. I was wondering if cassia would help thicken my hair.... please keep us posted because the PJ in me wants to buy some. :giggle:

I will. I'm expecting the shipment tomorrow. I am SO excited.:grin::grin: I've been sort of obsessed with cassia for a long time now, and do to a recent setback due to my fine strands, I decided to try this now. I heard that you can use it more frequently to make it work faster.

Fine Haired lady here as well, I use lots of protein, I do henna as well *now. LOL

I also feel the Henna helped my Tender head get a little more tender Yikes.

But My hair needs protein and I when I slowed down on Aphogee 2 minute, my hair noticed.

I love Hair One and Wen My favs.

Fine hair here. I'm still trying to get my regime down. But lately I've been using JBCO on my edges & nape every night and massaging in a MT, Olive Oil, JBCO, MN mix. I've been sealing w/ JBCO and bunning daily. But my ends have been feeling a little dry the last 2 days, even after last night's cowash with MNT conditioner, so I'm thinking I may be using too much protein. Trying to decide whether to co-wash again tonight w/ HE hello hydration tonight or just add some leave in conditioner to my ends & seal to restore moisture. Trying to hold off on a DC until Sunday after my long run...

Sent from my MB200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Fine Hair here as well.

HH, YTCarrots, Henna, AO HSR, Evoo, Evco, CO and MegaTek that's about it for me, I twist my hair a lot. At night I retwist and baggy, most of the time I just wear twist outs.

Oh crap! Just actually READ the back of my Infusium & realized it has protein in it too. Lol maybe I AM giving myself too much daily protein. Off to co-wash. It's funny because before I joined this site I never really looked-just knew I've always used certain staple products & stuck with it. Now I'm starting to pay attention to what I'm REALLY putting in my hair. Will still use Infusium tho-just more sparingly.

Sent from my MB200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

lol @ freestyling. :lol: I've actually used the one you are talking about it didn't do anything for my hair, think its bc the k-pak line has too much protein for me. Funny thing is when I googled it, there actually seems to have been a discontinued line with the the original name u said, lol. I want to try some joico or aveda products for when i flat iron (thats the only time i use cone based products). Been looking at the Joico Moisture Recovery and Aveda Dry Remedy.

Be very careful with Aveda Dry Remedy. I LOVE Aveda, but Dry Remedy made my hair feel like a brick. :perplexed:nono: After talking to an black salesperson there, she explained that MOST, not all, black customers found that Dry Remedy didn't work for them. For people like me that couldn't use it, they said Damage Remedy worked better. If you can, get a sample first. OR, if you decide to purchase, keep your receipt so that you can return it if you run into problems with it.

BTW, I find the Intense Moisture works best if I leave it on my hair a bit longer, say 30-60 minutes just under a plastic cap. Steaming with it didn't increase the moisture, but body heat did the trick.

I am thin, fine natural

My hair likes to be left alone and I never realized to what extent until I realized that the only time my hair really grew is when I did the Crown and Glory Method. Now I am doing Lady Paniolo Method.

Henna each moth seems to be helping too

Be very careful with Aveda Dry Remedy. I LOVE Aveda, but Dry Remedy made my hair feel like a brick. :perplexed:nono: After talking to an black salesperson there, she explained that MOST, not all, black customers found that Dry Remedy didn't work for them. For people like me that couldn't use it, they said Damage Remedy worked better. If you can, get a sample first. OR, if you decide to purchase, keep your receipt so that you can return it if you run into problems with it.

BTW, I find the Intense Moisture works best if I leave it on my hair a bit longer, say 30-60 minutes just under a plastic cap. Steaming with it didn't increase the moisture, but body heat did the trick.

mzteaze Yeah, I do think I recall reading mixed reviews on aveda thats why I haven't purchased yet :ohwell: Also back in the day when I was relaxed their products dried my hair out. My hair is mostly 4b and its hard to find a product that doesn't dry it out. I just recently got a salon flat iron that was beautiful and they sat me under the steamer w/a joico conditioner but I couldn't see which one it was they used. One of my goals for this year is to perfect a salon quality flat iron job at home.

Back