Finances: How much does a man have to bring to the table for marriage?

How much does a potential husband need to pull down?

• Less than 10K

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 10-20K

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30K

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • 30-40K

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • 40-60K

Votes: 29 20.1%
  • 60-80K

Votes: 29 20.1%
  • 80-100K

Votes: 26 18.1%
  • 100-150K

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • 150-200K

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • 200K+

Votes: 15 10.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UmSumayyah

What's your minimum? Assuming that you two are compatible in other ways, and genuine love can grow between you. (No gold-digger scenario here, real marriage only.) Let's also assume that the man owns property commensurate with what he can afford on that salary. No inherited wealth.

btw the poll is anonymous, though you can post in the thread if you like.

Obviously answers will vary according to your age, cost of living in your state, how many kids you plan to have, whether you like to travel, etc.

Last edited:
Ooh see, this is hard.

One requirement for me is that a man be financially stable. However, a teacher with no debt is more financially stable than a lawyer with $50,000 CC debt who's buying stuff like he's ballin' out of control.

So while lawyer might be making $100K a year versus teacher's $40K, teacher would be the better option for me. (Plus, he has more time to spend with me too).

I think I'm biased cause my daddy's a retired teacher.

Anyway... for the sake of the poll and since I'm 31 and probably dating men no younger than 28, I'd say that you should be making at least $40K.

There is no requirement. My only requirement is that he's doing what he is called to do and able to care for his household, whatever that amount may be.

There is no requirement. My only requirement is that he's doing what he is called to do and able to care for his household, whatever that amount may be.

I agree.

Being financially responsible, no matter what the income, is my only requirement.

Financially responsible and atleast 80k

There are people that make loads of money and are financially irresponsible. There are people that make little and are very financially responsible to the point that they have some left over funds to play with.

I want a balance. My idea of a good life is bills paid on time with money left over. I do not want to work myself to death and barely make it . .I don't my SO and I to make "just enough." MY other idea of a good life is very very good health care and being able to go see the doctor whenever I choose instead of just when I need to go to the emergency room. This is especially important when you have children. I want to be able to splurge on things I want every once in a while. I want to be able to take a major vacation atleast once very year or two years.

While for most people the money issues they have is not what they make but how and what they spend it on. The reality is that I feel that I need a well above average annual salary to have some of the things that I personally feel are important.

Wow, it's too subjective I think to pinpoint a range. For me, an easier question to ask is how much is too little? .... With the economy, my goals and hope for a family, less than 50K a year would be too much of a struggle.

I think as others have mentioned, if he was financially responsible and debt free, 75k-100k would be fine.

I agree. If a man is willing to work -- I'm willing to work with him. God can take a little and multiply it beyond what you could ever imagine.

Putting a SALARY to financial is too hard....it all depends on compatibility about lifestyle, location and attitudes about money such as spending, saving, retirement, etc.

For example, $$$ could afford a middle class lifestyle in one area of the country but in high cost of living states like San Francisco, New York or Washington, DC not so easy.

If as a couple, you both decide to “work” towards for a certain lifestyle, then fine! But I do think a grown MAN should have his financial life in order and be able to support his wife and any children – gainfully employed, understand debt, savings, etc.

IMO a husband is not a ROOMMATE……none of that he’s paying “his” half or buying only “his” stuff business! :nono:

Ooh see, this is hard.

One requirement for me is that a man be financially stable. However, a teacher with no debt is more financially stable than a lawyer with $50,000 CC debt who's buying stuff like he's ballin' out of control.

So while lawyer might be making $100K a year versus teacher's $40K, teacher would be the better option for me. (Plus, he has more time to spend with me too).

Anyway... for the sake of the poll and since I'm 31 and probably dating men no younger than 28, I'd say that you should be making at least $40K.

Financial responsibility is one of the "compatible in other ways" factors to be considered.
:yep:

I would need for him to be making more than minimum wage, unless he was still in school - so that would make my minimum around 30K. I would prefer 120K, but I would also prefer to be a size 8, and ain't neither of them thangs popping off currently. :lachen: Though, they are both being worked towards.

Ooh see, this is hard.

I agree wit your summation...
OT: I didnt know we were the same age, lol.

My potential man has to have a willingness to contribute financially to the family first of all. In the Bahamas, a man needs to be making $40 - $50K in order to (try and) support a two-income family, because the cost of living here is rather expensive. But I wouldn't rule out the guy who makes above that :lachen: As long as he has potential to 'move up' and make more money, I wouldn't turn him down if he made less. Also, he has too have started making up the down payment for a house and have a car.

I did have a requirement when I got married. I just know that I wouldn't waste my time with someone who was broke and living with their mama! If his is going through such hard times he should postpone marriage and get himself together..... As long as he is a hard worker and can provide for his family.

Putting a SALARY to financial is too hard....it all depends on compatibility about lifestyle, location and attitudes about money such as spending, saving, retirement, etc.

For example, $$$ could afford a middle class lifestyle in one area of the country but in high cost of living states like San Francisco, New York or Washington, DC not so easy.

If as a couple, you both decide to “work” towards for a certain lifestyle, then fine! But I do think a grown MAN should have his financial life in order and be able to support his wife and any children – gainfully employed, understand debt, savings, etc.

IMO a husband is not a ROOMMATE……none of that he’s paying “his” half or buying only “his” stuff business! :nono:

I totally agree with a husband is not a roommate. I lived with one and he would never help with anything. No help with car repairs or anything. I could do bad by myself.

I agree. If a man is willing to work -- I'm willing to work with him. God can take a little and multiply it beyond what you could ever imagine.

Neenzmj I total agreed with you. You couldn't said it no other way. This is such a true statement.

When I was ready to settle down, a specific salary was not even in my top 10 of things to look for in a husband - financial responsibility, yes, a minimum salary requirement, no.

You know its funny b/c my SO makes less than I do. And, I won't lie -I like the nicer things in life and can get antsy (wishing he made more) but I have a keeper so there's no way in the world I'm givin that up just to be disappointed when someone who's making 100k feels like they could treat me like crap. No thanks. We'll do what we need to do and pray together for blessings - they always seem to come right on time anyway AND I get to keep my guy :)

I voted after reading the title, thinking you meant how much (liquid) a man had to have. Salary can be fleeting so I'm thinking someone needs to actually have at least six figures before taking on marriage and the responsibility of providing for a family. You definitely need that type of cushion, whether or not you make six figures.

:lachen:I can't believe you asked her that! :lachen:

LOL!

Actually, the reason I asked was because someone else on the board thought I was older because of the way I expressed ideas in my posts, so I wondered if that was the case. :)

I know though... that question can be dangerous territory! :lol:

LOL!

Actually, the reason I asked was because someone else on the board thought I was older because of the way I expressed ideas in my posts, so I wondered if that was the case. :)

I know though... that question can be dangerous territory! :lol:

You do express yourself in a very mature manner, someone who's had more experience than 31 years.

But, you look younger in your pic than 31:yep:

You do express yourself in a very mature manner, someone who's had more experience than 31 years.

But, you look younger in your pic than 31:yep:

Story of my life! :lol:

Random old dude: "Dang girl, how's a little girl like you know so much?"

Me: "Uh, I'm 31."

Old dude: "Oh word? That explains it. I thought you were like, 22."

:lachen:

(Sorry to get off topic!)

i think a lot of it to has to do with where you are in life.

DH and I got married young, we're broke, we're building a life/career together.

If I were older and more established in life, I think I'd expect more.

Technically I don't care about the salary. I know as long as he is able to maintain most of the family's financial obligations,i'm content.However, I know that for him to be able to provide us with a comfortable (our definition of) lifestyle, I think 80K is an ideal salary. I don't need much (material wise) to make me comfortable and content. If he isn't making that,I would hope that his earning potential will meet or exceed that eventually. If i'm contributing financially, the figure would be around 45-50K. I really dont plan on contributing financially, I want to be a SAHM. :grin:

Last edited:
Back