feeling very torn

VelvetRain

My bf and I have been together for a solid two years but have known each other for 3 years. Dated a bit for the first year but mutually broke the relationship off for close to seven months. During that time I moved on with things and started dating others. Funny I thought he forgot my number and also moved on but out of the blue he calls me. Within of a matter of weeks of us talking again as old friend he admits that he wants a relationship with me. Before I agreed to get into this situation again I ask him what is making him feel this way because as I recall when we argued around the time we broke up he told me he didn't think he could ever be truly happy with me. So of course I had my guard up this time because I remembered him telling me this.

So of course everything is golden for a few months but as the time goes on I truly see how addicted this guy is to his work. He is beyond a workaholic. He never wants to have any fun. He never wants to go anywhere but will complain at times when I go out a lot with my girlfriends. He makes me feel guilty for going out and enjoying myself but when I ask him if wants to take a little trip on the weekends it's always no. I am so sick of always going out to eat with our random dates and talking on the phone. I guess I am feeling very bored with this relationship. I always feel deep inside that my feelings don't matter and that my wants and desires go unnoticed because he is essentially married to his work. It's just very odd for me to see someone never want to have any downtime to enjoy life. I have a very high work ethic but I do believe in giving myself a break from time to time.

It's not uncommon for me to give him a call and he calls me back two days later with Iv'e been so busy with work and I am extremely tired. Interesting because noone is that damn busy that they can't take a minute or two to give someone a return call.

Yes I have talked to him about it several times and over the course of several months but nothing never changes. I guess I should have let this one go awhile go because I can recount the number of times he has flaked out on engagements with me or has promised me help and has not come good on a promise. I am very surpised and shocked when he does come through at times. He has expressed an interest in marrying me but I doubt I could spend my life with this person gaguing how acts.

My advice is to "disappear" on him for a while.
For every time he doesn't call you back, don't call him back at least three times. After a while he'll get the message.

If you don't want to play that kind of game, just move on...

Don't marry him unless you feel completely and utterly in love and loved the same way back!

He's married to his job but luckily you're not married to him yet... so now is your chance to make a decision.

It sounds like he wants a relationship but does not have the time for one. Even for a workaholic- I think that's a bit much. It might work if you are willing to be there whenever he decides to come up for air- which sounds like what he wants since he is offended by you deciding to have fun without him.

He might wake up if he realizes that not only are you upset by his behavior but you won't tolerate this any longer. I'm just not sure for how long though. It sounds like he has some other stuff going on that he needs to work through. Sorry- you seem to have a lot invested in this relationship but if you choose to be with him you might have to accept that he will never change.

My heart goes out to you. I hope you find happiness.

My bf and I have been together for a solid two years but have known each other for 3 years. Dated a bit for the first year but mutually broke the relationship off for close to seven months. During that time I moved on with things and started dating others. Funny I thought he forgot my number and also moved on but out of the blue he calls me. Within of a matter of weeks of us talking again as old friend he admits that he wants a relationship with me. Before I agreed to get into this situation again I ask him what is making him feel this way because as I recall when we argued around the time we broke up he told me he didn't think he could ever be truly happy with me. So of course I had my guard up this time because I remembered him telling me this.

So of course everything is golden for a few months but as the time goes on I truly see how addicted this guy is to his work. He is beyond a workaholic. He never wants to have any fun. He never wants to go anywhere but will complain at times when I go out a lot with my girlfriends. He makes me feel guilty for going out and enjoying myself but when I ask him if wants to take a little trip on the weekends it's always no. I am so sick of always going out to eat with our random dates and talking on the phone. I guess I am feeling very bored with this relationship. I always feel deep inside that my feelings don't matter and that my wants and desires go unnoticed because he is essentially married to his work. It's just very odd for me to see someone never want to have any downtime to enjoy life. I have a very high work ethic but I do believe in giving myself a break from time to time.

It's not uncommon for me to give him a call and he calls me back two days later with Iv'e been so busy with work and I am extremely tired. Interesting because noone is that damn busy that they can't take a minute or two to give someone a return call.

Yes I have talked to him about it several times and over the course of several months but nothing never changes. I guess I should have let this one go awhile go because I can recount the number of times he has flaked out on engagements with me or has promised me help and has not come good on a promise. I am very surpised and shocked when he does come through at times. He has expressed an interest in marrying me but I doubt I could spend my life with this person gaguing how acts.

The bolded parts tell me that he is not the one for you. The bolded red for me is the dealbreaker. Can you imagine Barack going two days till he calls Michelle back? He's the President of the United States and he can find time to check on his wife and daughters. Your bf is not busier than Barack Obama, I am sure of that. You can do better. I'm really sorry you are so unhappy.

The bolded parts tell me that he is not the one for you. The bolded red for me is the dealbreaker. Can you imagine Barack going two days till he calls Michelle back? He's the President of the United States and he can find time to check on his wife and daughters. Your bf is not busier than Barack Obama, I am sure of that. You can do better. I'm really sorry you are so unhappy.

Thank you Hopeful for speaking so much sense... :yep:

Hopeful saved me a lot of keystokes. Michelle I just want to give you a hug. I really think this guy is not for you for all the reasons in bold in Hopeful's post. Esp the red!! You are a jewel and you desire a guy who has time to treat like the jewel you are. :kiss:

Thanks ladies. You are all right. I need to let this relationship die as it has run it's course. I have had plenty of time to really put things into perspective since I am on hiatus from school. Funny how we sometimes know the answer to questions if we listen to our gut feelings. Sometimes hearing someone else say it is all you need.

Thanks ladies. You are all right. I need to let this relationship die as it has run it's course. I have had plenty of time to really put things into perspective since I am on hiatus from school. Funny how we sometimes know the answer to questions if we listen to our gut feelings. Sometimes hearing someone else say it is all you need.

Call me - we need to get together this week or something

Back