Feeling Lost, Please Help

NY has rats right? (shudders).

Maybe somewhere like Dallas? Not quite as humid (and mosquito attracting) as Houston or NO, but still has the warm, sunny climate most of the time.

Hey, our NYC rats are special- they've been known to grab a slice of pizza just like regular New Yorkers. :D

No offense OP but you need to get your school situation straightened out or decide if you even want to go. It sounds like you'e taking on a lot of expenses and that may not be the best thing long-term.

As far as weather and pace of life, maybe Miami, or DC, or somewhere in North Carolina might be good for you. Good weather, nice people, more laid back and cheaper than the city.

This.

OP, is this the career that you have your heart set on or are you just filling time? If you do want to teach after you graduate, I would recommend thinking about where you want to teach and see if you can get into a school in that city. I believe that requirements for teaching differ from state to state and if you don't want to take extra courses, you should find out the requirements. You also don't want to hop from school to school with a large debt following you.

Will you be required to student teach for a semester in your program? New York City schools can be tough.

I don't want to come across as someone's mother but you are in college now. You need to keep track of drop class dates, financial aid matters etc. Some advisers either don't know or won't tell you anything - you have to keep on top of them (you have to do this in good schools as well). You've been given good advice as to some financial aid resources, I would look around for more.

And give NYC a chance- try to stick it out at least until the end of term. NYC is not for everyone and that's all right but you should at least give it a fair shot before you pack it in.

The competition in NYC and DC and ATL is fierce. Them women are dope, dressed to the T and do well financially.
Give me a little pond...

My general rule of thumb is to give a city four seasons. NYC in the winter is boo boo, but it's amazing come spring and summer.

But more importantly, I would suggest you DO NOT rack up a ton of student loan debt to become a teacher. I can't remember details, but student loan forgiveness programs in CA cover up to maybe 19k? And that's after 5 years of teaching something like special ed. Things may have changed though. The federal programs require 10 years of teaching/public service and making monthly payments before debts are forgiven. Plus #45 wants to end the program.

As mentioned above, licensure is by state, so if you want to graduate with a Bachelor's and a credential, you should choose a state you want to live and teach in. Or you could do a program like TFA. The state of CA only accepts teaching credentials from maybe 1-3 other states without additional steps, so if you think you may want to teach there (or anywhere else), you may want to do some research on the credentialing process.

My general rule of thumb is to give a city four seasons. NYC in the winter is boo boo, but it's amazing come spring and summer.

But more importantly, I would suggest you DO NOT rack up a ton of student loan debt to become a teacher. I can't remember details, but student loan forgiveness programs in CA cover up to maybe 19k? And that's after 5 years of teaching something like special ed. Things may have changed though. The federal programs require 10 years of teaching/public service and making monthly payments before debts are forgiven. Plus #45 wants to end the program.

As mentioned above, licensure is by state, so if you want to graduate with a Bachelor's and a credential, you should choose a state you want to live and teach in. Or you could do a program like TFA. The state of CA only accepts teaching credentials from maybe 1-3 other states without additional steps, so if you think you may want to teach there (or anywhere else), you may want to do some research on the credentialing process.

Thanks! I planned to just move back to San Diego. It’s where I’m happiest. And honestly as long as I get kids I could care less about a husband. Most marriages end in divorce anyway. Plus I really feel where you are most at peace is when you’ll find “the one”. So yes I’m doing another year at a 2 year (I didn’t know you could do that) and it would save me a lot of money and then I’d transfer to a cal state to finish my last year and my credentials

Back