Favorite Moisturizing Shampoos/cleansers?

Soaring Eagle

Singin’ the praises of the baggy method
I am very close to completely giving up on shampooing my hair. I just cannot seem to find a shampoo that does not strip or leave my hair tangled,knotted and matted. I had a tiny set back on my last wash day, due to using a very popular shampoo that claimed to be moisturizing. The moment it touched my strands, my hair matted. I had to cut in-between the matted hair-- now I have short strands within the longer strands in my crown area. I am just thankful that it was only a section and not my entire head.

The shampoo shall remain nameless, but it is a cult favorite on youtube. With that being said, what are your favorite moisturizing and non stripping shampoos/cleansers?

you should just say what shampoo it was. And was it just that one shampoo that did that to your hair? How do you wash your hair?
My hair is always in braids. On wash day, I take down one braid at a time, detangle with oil/conditioner, rinse, then proceed to shampooing just that one section. On this wash day, I did the same process, using this new shampoo. I started off with the right crown section of my hair, applied it unto my scalp, held my hair tautly at the ends to prevent tangling (HA!, didn't work), and went on to distribute the rest of the shampoo to the length of my hair. I immediately rinsed it out upon seeing my hair becoming matted and tangled. As the shampoo rinsed down the length, it began to knot and become even more matted.

I have a really good wash day routine, so I know it has nothing to do with it. I am happy that I shampoo in sections because if I were to have shampooed my entire head, I would probably not have any hair on my head right now. :drunk:

I second the motion that the shampoo should be named lol.

I use Herbal Essences Bee Strong Shampoo. I can get away with lathering once only and not shampooing too often. If I do this and follow up with its conditioner, it's gentle and does not strip my hair.

Other suggestions for you :

Using conditioners to detangle first and then shampooing ie. the CWC (condition, wash, condition) method and not shampooing old tangled up hair. You detangle again after the second conditioning but this should be very easy and super quick.

Cleansing conditioners if you don't use heavy products e.g. CJ Daily fix, or CRN Caramel Cowash (this last one is strong like a shampoo but has mighty curl-defining properties when smoothed down the hair)

Oil rinsing before shampooing.

Alternating shampooing with cowashing

I second the motion that the shampoo should be named lol.

I use Herbal Essences Bee Strong Shampoo. I can get away with lathering once only and not shampooing too often. If I do this and follow up with its conditioner, it's gentle and does not strip my hair.

Other suggestions for you :

Using conditioners to detangle first and then shampooing ie. the CWC (condition, wash, condition) method and not shampooing old tangled up hair. You detangle again after the second conditioning but this should be very easy and super quick.

Cleansing conditioners if you don't use heavy products e.g. CJ Daily fix, or CRN Caramel Cowash (this last one is strong like a shampoo but has mighty curl-defining properties when smoothed down the hair)

Oil rinsing before shampooing.

Alternating shampooing with cowashing

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually detangle my hair with conditioner before washing (see second line of my wash day process). This shampoo simply was not for me, just like many others. I really don't think I'll be trying anymore products from CRN (hint hint), so I'll skip the cowash. But I'll definitely look into the others you mentioned!

I am very close to completely giving up on shampooing my hair. I just cannot seem to find a shampoo that does not strip or leave my hair tangled,knotted and matted. I had a tiny set back on my last wash day, due to using a very popular shampoo that claimed to be moisturizing. The moment it touched my strands, my hair matted. I had to cut in-between the matted hair-- now I have short strands within the longer strands in my crown area. I am just thankful that it was only a section and not my entire head.

The shampoo shall remain nameless, but it is a cult favorite on youtube. With that being said, what are your favorite moisturizing and non stripping shampoos/cleansers?

Not sure if you're referring to Shea Moisture, but I recommend the Shea Moisture Raw Shea butter shampoo for moisture.
upload_2017-10-31_14-41-19.jpeg

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually detangle my hair with conditioner before washing (see second line of my wash day process). This shampoo simply was not for me, just like many others. I really don't think I'll be trying anymore products from CRN (hint hint), so I'll skip the cowash. But I'll definitely look into the others you mentioned!
Oooh I havent tried this shampoo before but I heard people here say that they thought it was some sort of a cowash only to discover that it's a very stripping product. And @Daina I think said it made her hair change on her, like it had buildup or something, so it might have a tangle-causing ingredient in it. Aphogee Curlific curl defining cream had a similar instantly tangling effect on my hair.

You can also try a dilute shampoo in your applicator bottle only applied to the scalp and then allowed to graze the length during rinsing.

ORS Sulfate Free Shampoo is my new holy grail. It does all that the old formula of the Cream of Nature Argan Oil shampoo did: cleanses without stripping, a nice slippery lather and my hair is left rather soft. I also only lather once whenever I shampoo.

ORS Sulfate Free Shampoo is my new holy grail. It does all that the old formula of the Cream of Nature Argan Oil shampoo did: cleanses without stripping, a nice slippery lather and my hair is left rather soft. I also only lather once whenever I shampoo.

I lather once as well, since my hair is stripped very easily. Thanks for the suggestion.

It was the CRN Sweet Ginger Cleansing Rinse :cry3:

Oh hell no. That stuff is strong enough to clean laundry. Give these two products a try: African Pride Shea Butter Miracle Detangling Shampoo or ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo. If your hair is not heavily product-laden before a wash, I would suggest using a cleansing conditioner instead since they're a milder formulation that's gentler on the hair.

Oh hell no. That stuff is strong enough to clean laundry. Give these two products a try: African Pride Shea Butter Miracle Detangling Shampoo or ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo. If your hair is not heavily product-laden before a wash, I would suggest using a cleansing conditioner instead since they're a milder formulation that's gentler on the hair.

Giiirl, I did so much research on YouTube before buying that shampoo. It had so many good reviews, I didn't think things would go so wrong.

I've actually heard about that ORS shampoo before, so I'll check it out. Co-washing leaves my scalp itchy, but then again I did use a rinse out conditioner when I tried it--so maybe I need to try an actual cleansing conditioner.

Giiirl, I did so much research on YouTube before buying that shampoo. It had so many good reviews, I didn't think things would go so wrong.

I've actually heard about that ORS shampoo before, so I'll check it out. Co-washing leaves my scalp itchy, but then again I did use a rinse out conditioner when I tried it--so maybe I need to try an actual cleansing conditioner.

Yeah, it's best to temper the reviews by the rest of a reviewer's regimen, e.g., if they use a lot of butters and gels, then I know that the shampoo is strong and may not strip their hair, but will have mine butt naked and shivering in less than 60 seconds. Both of the poos I recommended are mild despite containing sulfates, so they should treat you right.

It was the CRN Sweet Ginger Cleansing Rinse :cry3:
That sounds like that would cause my hair to become matted!
I’m sorry that happened to you.
I use a lot of moisturizing sulfate shampoos.
I also use a non sulfate to do my second wash. I shampoo 2-3 Times.
I use Design Essentials, Silk Elements, Macadamia Oil Professional, Kenra, It’s A 10, and Keracare, etc.. when I wash my hair, I use an entire line.

This stuff right here
DE_Gentle_Balance_8oz-CP__55127.1481217123.1280.1280.jpg

I LOVE it... I keep saying i need the bigger bottle. I love this. My bss sells this small bottle for like $15 though so I need a bigger bottle.

For me I use Keracare Moisturizing and Detangling shampoo. It is awesome and offers a nice slip too. Elucence Moisturizing Shampoo is a close second choice for me. They are both sulfate-free. Design Essentials Almond Moisturizing Shampoo is a wonderful 3rd choice.

Try diluting your shampoos. I put half an ounce to 1 ounce of shampoo in an applicator bottle, then add 6-7 ounces of water. Shake and apply. I use a chelating shampoo every wash and this method prevents stripping.

This stuff right here
DE_Gentle_Balance_8oz-CP__55127.1481217123.1280.1280.jpg

I LOVE it... I keep saying i need the bigger bottle. I love this. My bss sells this small bottle for like $15 though so I need a bigger bottle.

I was eye-balling this poo the other day because it has a low ph and I'm all about low ph products. Nice to hear a good review.

I was eye-balling this poo the other day because it has a low ph and I'm all about low ph products. Nice to hear a good review.
I love this stuff! Gonna order the big bottle tmrw. It’s moisturizing but doesn’t leave a film.

You're gonna get lots of recommendations, so all I can give you is my personal holy grail.

Ogx Keratin shampoo has never stripped my hair. I could get away with no conditioner after it. I'm always comparing new products to that one.

As I Am Cleansing Pudding. Very, very nice. I can count on one hand the number of cleansers that don’t tangle my hair. Really, I can pretty much detangle with this one.

I found that sulfate shampoos work better for me than sulfate free. I like Nexxus Shampoos even thought they are expensive. More cost conscious, I like any of the Elasta QP shampoos which I can only seem to find at the bss.

I haven't found too many other shampoos that work for me. Elasta QP is my favorite.

You may also want to consider some salon quality shampoos and maybe pick up some sample sizes from Ulta. Your hair may need a higher quality product. You can use it occasionally and fill in with cowash and other cleansers in between.

Back