Faking the funk....

Yea I should too say that most are honest. I dont want to come off like they are just hiding all over the place to be found. There was only two particular instances on this board I was talking about... the rest are on other sites like fotki and at least a blog (not a hair blog).

As far as the stretching pictures... I still think that people do that on purpose. Its not like the hair is fake or anything though so maybe that doesn't count, it just irritates me that they have to make pics super skinny when they could just leave em alone.

I have never thought a member was lying about fake hair though (except for that person we aren't allowed to talk about who was advertising). People are too good at spotting it. But the other stuff not so much:perplexed

I've been a member here for almost five years and I believe that I only know two accounts of this happening. It doesn't matter to me though because I'm so busy trying to grow my own hair.

I do have a small vent, though. There are many times where I would see someone's hair album and they have beautiful, long hair. Then I find out later that every picture is actually a shot of them wearing weaves/wigs. My little heart just sinks and I go "Awww man! She doesn't have long hair at all."

Yeah, I've noticed a few. :perplexed

I figure everyone has their own issues, and some peoples just revolve around hair. *shrug*

I make a mental note, and move on.

Ladies, I know this wasn't the most constructive thread, but the question just popped into my head last night. And you know what they say: "No question is a stupid question." lol. Anyway, thanks for your responses and keeping it tasteful, as usual!

This is so funny. I just had someone ask me yesterday if I relaxed because my before pic was much thicker than my after pic. That was a good question to ask me. I explained that the before pic was when I did my hair and the after was when I got a Dominican Blowout. Naturally, they will get it much straighter than I could on my best day...but, I could see how someone would think that I did something that I wasn't sharing with everyone else. To me, that would be lying....and I know where all liars go, so I'm not into that:lachen:

Good thread, OP....:yep:

Hmmm...now, that I think of it, I have been questioned several times about whether or not I put a texturizer in my hair. After I continue to say "no"...and refer to pictures to prove it I am told that my hair is a looser texture than I am claiming at that there is no way that I have any 4b hair. It's kind of confusing because the terms are confusing in the first place.

People have also made comments about people, that don't say my name but make comments right after I comment (this has happend twice) about people passing off braidouts as their own texture. This totally confuses me because I did a braid-out tutorial. *sighs* What ya, gonna do? :rolleyes: Maybe it's coinicidence?

Last edited:
I've never been accused (which is why I go out of my way to use the same camera, take pictures in the same area and line them up) and probably because my length is nothing special, but I have seen some "suspect" pictures. :sekret:

There was one that was last year or the year before that just screamed "WIG" to me when a person was talking about their growth and showed a before...:perplexed I try not to question people's textures, but sometimes supposed natural hair does look a bit braidoutish (and is saying how THIS is their texture and doesn't mention braid out, how it's a wash and go)...but I don't say a thing. :/
~*Janelle~*

No, I haven't noticed this at all... it never crossed my mind that someone would do that. But you know, some folks are deeply disturbed. It's sad if they feel the need to do that.

Last edited:
I have not noticed this. But then again I'm too consumed with my own hair to worry about and or examine someone else's hair pic's!:look:

I've seen it....it was obvious.....but I keep it moving for the same reasons. I'm here to find out to take care of my hair not to worry about someone else's.

I try not to question people's textures, but sometimes supposed natural hair does look a bit braidoutish (and is saying how THIS is their texture and doesn't mention braid out, how it's a wash and go)...but I don't say a thing. :/
~*Janelle~*

So what, are you trying to say that this is not my unaltered texture?

Just because my roots extra nappy while the rest is (nappy) crinkles? Some people's hair just grows like this! *runs off to corner, crying* :drunk:

Haha, for real, I've never even noticed that. I don't even know what to look for. Like I said, LHCF got some detectives. :sekret: come on here trying to fake, you won't fool nobody! okay, that's a lie, you'll fool me. :rolleyes: but other than me, you won't fool nobody!

I noticed one pic that I thought was...off. But I just keep on moving because it can be disheartening when someone suggests that you're not being truthful and you are. Someone suggested that I wasn't really natural when I posted my pony rollerset pics and it caught me off guard (maybe cause I'm new here) so I wouldn't want to do that to someone else, so I just keep on going....

I don't really pay attention to that. I am too busy maintaining the hair I have and trying to retain the growth I get. I've seen some with obvious weaves, maybe in passing but I always thought that somewhere they would state the truth. I do wonder why someone would go through all of that. Maybe they are not really serious about hair growth, or feel the pressure to "keep up".

I have seen some that I suspect are being less than truthful on just about all the hairboards. Whether it is their hair length or the process and or product that got them to said point. I just keep it moving and take their posts with a grain of salt. IRL people lie about who and what they are AND they have computers, too. :rolleyes:

I noticed one pic that I thought was...off. But I just keep on moving because it can be disheartening when someone suggests that you're not being truthful and you are. Someone suggested that I wasn't really natural when I posted my pony rollerset pics and it caught me off guard (maybe cause I'm new here) so I wouldn't want to do that to someone else, so I just keep on going....

Very good point. Like a lot of the ladies that have replied, good thing everyone keeps it moving!

there have been times where i've seen texlaxed ladies that i thought were natural and didn't see any note of them being texlaxed until i checked the forum or a journal... i felt like x-mas coming 3months late lol. As for my own pics... all my braidout and twist-outs suck so... yeah its all my natural texture, except where i shingled. Maybe i should've put that i shingled/styled? It seemed obvious to me... i dunno now lol

Pure COMEDY!!!

But anyway,... I love your natural hair texture, crinkles included :lachen:

Just because my roots extra nappy while the rest is (nappy) crinkles? Some people's hair just grows like this! *runs off to corner, crying* :drunk:

Haha, for real, I've never even noticed that. I don't even know what to look for. Like I said, LHCF got some detectives. :sekret: come on here trying to fake, you won't fool nobody! okay, that's a lie, you'll fool me. :rolleyes: but other than me, you won't fool nobody!

Oh sure..join one month..neck length hair needs lots of care...next month..touchup..fantastic..few weeks later broken off from whatever...next month they've found a new product...voila beautiful hair root to ends:rolleyes:..next month braided or going natural..next month..healthy relaxed, armpit hair from another new product...I don't get it...why showboat and fib:spinning:...it's not a contest but a site for assistance in obtaining goals. I say nothing but watch and wait for the day when all is exposed.

Maybe I'm naive... but I've never noticed this. I guess I don't know why anyone would. I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself... so I don't really have any reason to deceive others. :ohwell:

Hmmm. Some of the posts in this thread come off a little paranoid and mean spirited. I'm as sceptical as they come, but the only thing I've seen are a few instances of photos from above / with head leaning back. And then, I just slip out of the thread without commenting, and don't give a dang.

I've seen people stretch their photos in an apparent attempt to get one photo to line up with another, e.g. shoulder to shoulder, top of head to tpp of head, etc. E.g. if one pic is taken from farther away, then you'd have to crop and expand it to match it with one taken from closer. Someone posted a stretched out photo - don't think that would fool anyone. Looks like the *head* is longer, not the hair.

As for people passing of texturised hair as natural - have never seen that. I can't go around bothering my head about who's doing that. Who am I to say whose hair is "clearly texturised" when there are so many different textures of natural hair? I know for example that many years ago when I had a TWA, I had people, including my own family, asking me what I did to the back of my head to make it curly (it wasn't even really curly, just looser and curlier than the rest of my hair). I told them nothing (the truth), and then they saw some random product on my dressing table that I didn't even use, and which couldn't change the texture of hair, and said "How come you told me you didn't do anything to it?". :rolleyes: They were assuming that I bought into the same *hierarchy of hair textures* as they did, and that was annoying.

puts on track shoes...

ahem.... so, is your nickname "Sideshow Bob?"

runs before mwedzi can catch me and kick my ***... :lachen:

I have seen someone with tracks passing it off as thier own....:look:

They posted wet hair...then dry...colors were off, texture different...but they were on a mission....that is all a sista is saying...not on this board.:nono:

:nono:It has happened her a few times and a couple of people were outted. One person tried to elongate her hair digitally and it was painfully obvious. :nono::lachen:

Hmmm...now, that I think of it, I have been questioned several times about whether or not I put a texturizer in my hair. After I continue to say "no"...and refer to pictures to prove it I am told that my hair is a looser texture than I am claiming at that there is no way that I have any 4b hair. It's kind of confusing because the terms are confusing in the first place.

People have also made comments about people, that don't say my name but make comments right after I comment (this has happend twice) about people passing off braidouts as their own texture. This totally confuses me because I did a braid-out tutorial. *sighs* What ya, gonna do? :rolleyes: Maybe it's coinicidence?

This has happened to me before too, but the pic was in my transition album and I still had relaxed ends :ohwell:. Some anonymous also left a nasty message in my account about a texture shot being a twistout. I have pics of both and there are clearly distinguishable (plus the fact that I name the picture of the style) :spinning: I also have varying textures that behave very differently w/ various products so I could possibly understand their reasoning

Back