Excellent link on SHEA BUTTER - PICS included

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
@ gabrielle..mine came in a bar that looked like a Dove Bar of soap...except of course it was dark brown. I'm getting kind of nervouse cause it is running low and my shampoo bars have not come in yet...and I dont know that man still has his booth!

I cannot believe we have almost the exact same routine. I told you we were related!

@Irres...I am loving the CDHM. I bought a small bottle first. Used it up and just got my 8 oz. I want to make my own hair milk though cause CDHM is SOOOO expensive. I am also waiting to see what is in Surges new Nourish Aide...supposed to be all natural moisturizer with a consistency of the Hair Milk. If theirs is similar...then I am switching. It it is not...I will experiment with making my own.

I tried the coconut milk one night after I had some left over. I was amazed at the softness. I will use it again.

[/ QUOTE ] Pookeylou , dang that would be the bomb if we could make our own!!! I'm about to go look at the ingredients myself
smile.gif
and....I'm definitley trying the coconut milk now
smile.gif

Okay...forgive my ignorance but, what EXACTLY do you DO with the coconut milk?...I think I have a can just sitting in my fridge that I'd like to use up. Suggestions please!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
patience said:
Okay...forgive my ignorance but, what EXACTLY do you DO with the coconut milk?...I think I have a can just sitting in my fridge that I'd like to use up. Suggestions please!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just add it to any conditioner you have. Condition wash your hair like normal. It creates great softness for me.

Here is a pic of the black soap I use:

ACFY3LcmE.jpg

Here is the link for it...but I am trying to find it locally

Dudu Osun African Black Soap

yeah..thats what i had first. then i "found" out that it wasnt supposed to be hard..lol..WHATEVER! that works just like the others..IMO..only mine has plaintain in it too

[ QUOTE ]
gabrielle2 said:
yeah..thats what i had first. then i "found" out that it wasnt supposed to be hard..lol..WHATEVER! that works just like the others..IMO..only mine has plaintain in it too

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean it's supposed to be soft like shea butter at room tempreture?

not that soft..but it is soft...i mean u cant really form it into a bar. it comes in a clump. i pinch mine off as i use it. get only what i need.

i thought it was supposed to be a bar until i bought some locally and it came in this airtight plastic bag. lol..but i will tell you this..it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay stronger than that bar. worked very well. now i order mine from nasabb..that and the honey oatmeal soap

Thanks for posting the site, it's very informative! I've been planning to incorporate butters into my hair care products list, particularly shea butter. I'm really looking forward to using it now. :)

Did you notice the more natural black soap strips your skin? It made my skin very raw and also lightened my complexion very fast. Did you notice this. I love that it evened out my skin but I did not like that raw sensitive feeling that it gave me, sometimes it burned patches into my face.

maybe I have sensitive skin, but did anyone else notice this?

[ QUOTE ]
Teva said:
Did you notice the more natural black soap strips your skin? It made my skin very raw and also lightened my complexion very fast. Did you notice this. I love that it evened out my skin but I did not like that raw sensitive feeling that it gave me, sometimes it burned patches into my face.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not feel dry or stripped. But I also have soft water (which when you wash with it, your own natural oils rise to the top of your skin and you dont feel "squeaky" clean...you actually feel "slick"). I follow up with shea butter too. I HIGHLY recommend following up with a moisturizer if you decide continue to use it.

Boy needed this post 2 weeks ago. I went to one of those traveling flea markets and this African man had a booth. He was selling shea butter in Ziploc bags for $5.00. It looked like white chocolate fudge to me and it smelled, "funny" so I wasn't trying to buy that! Little did I know that it was the real deal and should have laid my good money down for a bag or two. LOL Oh well, live n learn because I thought the "real" shea butter was smooth, refined and smelled gooooood!

[ QUOTE ]
Teva said:

[/ QUOTE ]
My mother also said this has happened to her. It made putting on moisturizing lotion an agonizing experience because her skin was so raw.

[ QUOTE ]
Teva said:

[/ QUOTE ]

that happened to me when i was using the one that was made like a bar of soap. i did read where that is a common reaction to the use of black soap because the toxins..etc are breaking loose. some people even had an outbreak for a few days. that happened to me also. after that, i didnt have any more problems.

as of today, if my skin gets a lil "raw" i would have left the black soap on for too long while in the shower. (never anything major...just a lil discomfort) as of now, i switch up from black soap to honey oatmeal soap (much gentler on the skin)

[ QUOTE ]
Bobbie said:
[ QUOTE ]
Teva said:

[/ QUOTE ]
My mother also said this has happened to her. It made putting on moisturizing lotion an agonizing experience because her skin was so raw.

[/ QUOTE ] wow , thats not good at all...ive only had my daughter use it on her back due to bumps on her back, and it didnt cause any problems, and actually helped...i didnt use it on anything else cause i was too scared, plus that was my only reason for buying it ,to try it for her back. but this is scarey , what happened with ya'll...i think i will chill on finding any other uses for it now
smile.gif

just to add to my last post...i think i got caught up in that "too much of a good thing" syndrome when i had issues with my skin. mainly it was on my cheek area because that is the spot where i seem to be the most sensitive and break out from time to time from whatever. so i think i placed the soap on my cheeks and allowed it to really "sit"...not good. i learned that it wasnt necessary. just go ahead and wash my face and go.

Pookeylou can you keep me updated on your shea butter from crabapplesoap...because i ran across that sight too but i rather see what the quality of the butter is before I buy it.

thanks in advance.

faye

*adding this thread to my favourites*

I love shea butter, I'll check this out properly when I'm home from work
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
TrustMeLove said:
Pookeylou can you keep me updated on your shea butter from crabapplesoap...because i ran across that sight too but i rather see what the quality of the butter is before I buy it.

thanks in advance.

faye

[/ QUOTE ]

the quality of it is very good. its pure so it will come in chunks as u see it on the website. i ordered some last month. what i have done is taken out what i needed (since i ordered a pound) melted it down and placed in a plastic container. * i havent gotten around to whipping some up yet*

i use the whipped kind from nasabb for my hair and body. the kind i order from crabapple is to make more hair butters for myself (adding in other butters and EOs)

do any of you know what the fruit is called that the shea butter nut comes from? I would love to know, it must be a yummy fruit
lick.gif
lick.gif
smile.gif

Hey Ya'll!

I found another great site for shea butter and black soap like the one I use.

Afrikan Republic

They sell the real shea butter too and the Dudu Osun Soap.

Everyone please hold hands a say a collective hair prayer for me that my CrabAppleSoapFactory SHAMPOO BARS come in the mail today...everyone bow their heads...

If they dont come today...I am going to have to make a trip to the company and stand outside with a placard that says..."I SPENT $35 FOR A LOG OF SOAP AND ALL I GOT WAS THE SLIP!!!"

lachen70.gif

[ QUOTE ]
prettykitty said:
do any of you know what the fruit is called that the shea butter nut comes from? I would love to know, it must be a yummy fruit
lick.gif
lick.gif
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i saw the actual nut at a hair show last year.

info found......... shea butter tree

Thanks for the info Pookeylou. I love shea butter too. I buy mine from a local african store. I also have been using the natural black soap that is hand made that the store also sells. I really like some of the recipes on the site that I think I will try.

Thanks Pookeylou great links! Who has the Best Shea butter, FNWL, CD, CrabAppleSoapFactory, African Republic, or Nasabb?

[ QUOTE ]
ImPradaModel said:
Thanks Pookeylou great links! Who has the Best Shea butter, FNWL, CD, CrabAppleSoapFactory, African Republic, or Nasabb?

[/ QUOTE ]

personally, i prefer Nasabb's because it is whipped and light. (not thin) but much easier for me because i am HEAVY HANDED
ohwell.gif
i like crabapple's because you can buy a lb for $4.95. as i stated earlier, i use theirs when i make my own butters..because i am melting it down..along with the others (mango,olive,etc)

has anyone bought some of the oils from crapapplesoap?

They aren't really cheap I don't think, but I don't know if they are refined or not? If you don't buy from here where do you buy your oils from?

-faye

Back