Emotional Connections...

Fine 4s

Is this important to a relationship?
Say you're into one person and the emotional connection is there.
The other, not as intense but you enjoy them just the same.
How do you know if a relationship where you have a strong emotional connection will stay that way? Can it come in waves? Does it develop over time? Could it be that EC is just one aspect of a relationship and if so, how important is it to the survival of that relationship?
I felt a connection with someone once but there were other things wrong in that relationship so while I think of him fondly, there was no way I could be with him.

I don't think I fully understand what it means, so let's start with the definition.
What does having an emotional connection to someone mean?

The thing with emotions are that they come and go.. they're basically your feelings

I facilitate a course for women and one of the areas we look at is taking control of our emotions and not allowing our emotions control us and our decision making. Emotions are influenced by a lot of things, but mainly our minds/ mindset. So for example if you find such and such characteristic or physical appearance attractive or familiar or it's a trigger in your subconscious, you will be emotionally attracted/ connected to that whether it's good or bad for you

I think emotional connection is important, but should be used in conjunction with common sense/ reason as well - as you said with the guy you felt connected to but wasn't quite right

Emotional connection though is very important in a relationship because it's what keeps you connected to your partner. I guess it's about guarding your heart and not allowing your emotions to attach until it is reasonable/ safe enough to do so

The thing with emotions are that they come and go.. they're basically your feelings

I facilitate a course for women and one of the areas we look at is taking control of our emotions and not allowing our emotions control us and our decision making. Emotions are influenced by a lot of things, but mainly our minds/ mindset. So for example if you find such and such characteristic or physical appearance attractive or familiar or it's a trigger in your subconscious, you will be emotionally attracted/ connected to that whether it's good or bad for you

I think emotional connection is important, but should be used in conjunction with common sense/ reason as well - as you said with the guy you felt connected to but wasn't quite right

Emotional connection though is very important in a relationship because it's what keeps you connected to your partner. I guess it's about guarding your heart and not allowing your emotions to attach until it is reasonable/ safe enough to do so

Can you facilitate a thread based on the course you teach please :lol:

I guess it's about guarding your heart and not allowing your emotions to attach until it is reasonable/ safe enough to do so

I agree with this.
Learned this innately but it's something also that I was taught when working for a successful matchmaker. It's like on the second date some women are imagining their whole life with the guy. So then they are all in emotionally. This is dangerous. You should have fun and assess who he really is and then over time decide if he's worth it. I'm not saying be cold, but don't dive into what you think is shallow water when it could be the deep end and get drowned :look:

I'm not going up to some guy that I ran into twice at a coffee shop where we've shared a convo, and grabbing his hand and running off to vegas to marry. How in the world after a date or two are you so invested in a guy that you are waiting for his call? Or imagining a future that just doesn't exist? It makes a person work up their emotions early and invest early when the guy may or may not be worth all of that. Guarding the heart is paramount.

Btw I think an emotional connection matters in a relationship (a LOT) but again I don't think you should just emotionally attach to any and everyone because you are setting yourself up for trouble.

Last edited:
I think emotional connections comes and goes in waves depending on the shifts in "your "moods. I even believe you can be in a certain headspace and project these "emotions" to the other person .... The other person can be just chilling but because of our mood shift that day we may feel it's some sort of emotional connections, I guess I'm trying to say I think emotions are personal . Our own little reality ..

Having soul ties with someone is a connection beyond emotions and the feeling doesn't come and go... IMO

I facilitate a course for women and one of the areas we look at is taking control of our emotions and not allowing our emotions control us and our decision making. Emotions are influenced by a lot of things, but mainly our minds/ mindset. So for example if you find such and such characteristic or physical appearance attractive or familiar or it's a trigger in your subconscious, you will be emotionally attracted/ connected to that whether it's good or bad for you.

Is this a college course that's being facilitated? Is there coursework :laugh: I'm interested, like someone said upthread, it would be great if you could share a tidbit of the information with us ladies.

I definitely agree with the attachment point portion of this.

Is this important to a relationship?

· Yes….and NO

Say you're into one person and the emotional connection is there. The other, not as intense but you enjoy them just the same. How do you know if a relationship where you have a strong emotional connection will stay that way?

· Truth is you don’t know it will stay that way. The other items (connections) that you share should help sustain you through the rough times

Can it come in waves? Does it develop over time? Could it be that EC is just one aspect of a relationship and if so, how important is it to the survival of that relationship?

· Yes. Yes. Yes, and it is very important as long as the relationship is HEALTHY for you

I felt a connection with someone once but there were other things wrong in that relationship so while I think of him fondly, there was no way I could be with him.

· This is my problem right now. Intense emotional connection, intense physical connection/attraction. How many times have you heard someone say “The good times were really GREAT!!! But when things weren’t good……..[they were awful]…”? In my case I believe the relationship is Toxic and unhealthy for me; so I ended it; Despite our “Intense Emotional Connection”

· I’ll admit that had I have guarded my heart right from the beginning and not have just gone with the flow and excitement level, he may have had revealed the characteristics that bothers me sooner. He actually felt that the “connection” was more important than the logical reasons I listed for ending the relationships.

· Focusing on the “Emotional Connections” to me is dangerous; it provides the other Partner a tool to capitalize on and possibly use against you/your psyche. Especially if he is not emotionally-healthy.

I don't think I fully understand what it means, so let's start with the definition. What does having an emotional connection to someone mean?

· No answer…..

I don't think I fully understand what it means, so let's start with the definition. What does having an emotional connection to someone mean?

I think it means allowing yourself to be vulnerable with that person, show them who you are on some level, and trust them not to hurt you. Letting your feelings show

I've heard people talk about emotional connection as if it's some deep spiritual connection to someone that can't be developed. It's either there or it isn't.

Is this a college course that's being facilitated? Is there coursework :laugh: I'm interested, like someone said upthread, it would be great if you could share a tidbit of the information with us ladies.

I definitely agree with the attachment point portion of this.

Can you facilitate a thread based on the course you teach please :lol:

It is a 'class room' based course actually but I can definitely try to facilitate a thread based on it :lol:

It isn't a college course, more of a personal development course run over a period of 6 weeks and based on 3 foundational concepts - Worth, Strength and Purpose. We look at emotions under Strength

I'll try and start a thread later in the week/ on the weekend with some key points from each of the concepts

I've heard people talk about emotional connection as if it's some deep spiritual connection to someone that can't be developed. It's either there or it isn't.

Older I get I think it is something that can and should grow over time. I think it is better to slowly build an emotional connection based on mutual values, goals, compatibility, consistency, trust, etc. From what I have been reading and observing feeling overly connected to someone "just because" can actually be dangerous and can blind you to seeing the real person.

I think an emotional connection is a requirement, but I hesitate on whether spending a few dates with a person creates that connection. A lot of people date with anticipation instead of present mindedness. So they meet a person, they like them, know some surface level things about them that are attractive and start anticipating the possibilities and start feeling connected to this person based on that.

Back