Eggs made my hair thicker

Ive been struggling with my hair a bit lately because of overuse of the flat iron and I stumbled across Macherieamour's youtube and in one of her vids she did an egg treatment. I hadnt really heard of this before but lo and behold even my dh knew about it :lol: . I decided to give it a try esp since I have a bunch of eggs that expired a couple of weeks ago and somehow, I really dont know how my hair is THICKER, it is much less see through and I have fairly fine hair. This has been more successful than any protein con I have ever bought including K pak. I just moistened my hair and applied the eggs generously, its very messy and then rinse, shampoo and condition again. I truly saw a a difference, my hair is both "calmer" and thicker. Im very pleased something so cheap could work so well :D Heres the link to Macheries instructional vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkXhJPoF43w&feature=channel_page

I second egg treatments. I've done them over the past 2 weeks. My hair feels so strong and soft!

IA with the messyness. I put 2 plastic bags on my head and a towel I don't mind getting stained around my hair line ... it still drips a little, but not near as much.

Yea eggs are a great direct, protein. I normally mix 'em with some conditioner.

I remember way back in the day when my mom would put eggs in me and my sis's hair...but we never knew why. Heh...she never bothered to tell us either!

i agree! egg treatments are THEBOMB.. but i dont be knowing how often to do them. how often do you ladies do egg treatments? (prepoos right?) .. im thinking to do it every other wash? or is that too often?

Ive been struggling with my hair a bit lately because of overuse of the flat iron and I stumbled across Macherieamour's youtube and in one of her vids she did an egg treatment. I hadnt really heard of this before but lo and behold even my dh knew about it :lol: . I decided to give it a try esp since I have a bunch of eggs that expired a couple of weeks ago and somehow, I really dont know how my hair is THICKER, it is much less see through and I have fairly fine hair. This has been more successful than any protein con I have ever bought including K pak. I just moistened my hair and applied the eggs generously, its very messy and then rinse, shampoo and condition again. I truly saw a a difference, my hair is both "calmer" and thicker. Im very pleased something so cheap could work so well :D Heres the link to Macheries instructional vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkXhJPoF43w&feature=channel_page

I mixed eggs with conditioner last week and I LOVED the results. Soft and strong hair! But like sweet success, I am not sure how often to do these without risking protien overload.

I love egg treatments on dry hair. It's a great way to use up any conditioner you're trying to get rid of or don't care for:)

When i run out of my nexxus emergencee i will be doing egg treatments again. I'm trying to use up all of the products i have before i buy anything else hair related and this should help me do it. I have a lot of cheap conditioners to use up. I wouldn't do an egg treatment too often though that's a heavy protein. I will do it only after a relaxer.

I will be doing this this week. First my Irish Moss treatment, Next shampoo twice, Third egg mixed w/fortifying condish, and Last leave-in condish and either airdry bun or blowdry.

I'm also wondering how often to do them. I've done them twice so far every other wash and the thickening is dramatic. I really dont know how my hair can be thickened so much so fast but the egg must have left something on my hair that left it thicker. Im very happy so far. It is a bit drying so follow up with a moisturizing conditioner...

Hey there,

Just an Egglette here:lick:, checking in to say, I will now be adding eggs externally.:grin:

*You may now carry on with your regularly scheduled hair growing*:look:

Okay Ladies,

So I blended one egg and rubbed the mix through my damp hair on Wednesday. I applied a shower cap to prevent a transfer to the furniture (hence the egg did not dry) and left in on for 30 min. I followed up with a commercial Patene 2-in-1 called Beautiful Lengths then followed with a conditioner/honey/avo oil blend for 1 hour. LOOOOOOOOVE IT!
This is a keeper. My strands are strong, shining and well moisturized. Enjoy!

i just did my first egg treatment tonight! i'm in twists and rollers now, but i will definitely report back in the morning. question though, i'm currently dealing with EXTREME breakage. is every other week too much protein? i'd only do it until i noticed the breakage was stopping

i just did my first egg treatment tonight! i'm in twists and rollers now, but i will definitely report back in the morning. question though, i'm currently dealing with EXTREME breakage. is every other week too much protein? i'd only do it until i noticed the breakage was stopping

I currently DC twice weekly...Wed= protein, Sun= moisture.
I'm going try the eggs once weekly and see what results I get. I will report back as well.:yep:

Has anyone noticed they are retaining more moisture after using an egg? I think I might be, but I'll use it a few more times before I come to a conclusion.

Egg treatments are a great way to save on protein treatments and they really work to strengthen and thicken the hair. I use them when my hair needs protein like every two weeks or so. It's better for me to keep up with protein. I mix the eggs with a cheap conditioner and use an applicator brush to apply from root to tip. I leave on for like 15 minutes, then rinse. I may or may not apply a moisturising conditioner after. It's better to though. I generally apply the treatments to dry hair.

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed they are retaining more moisture after using an egg? I think I might be, but I'll use it a few more times before I come to a conclusion.
Yes, I believe I noticed this. But at first you may find it dry because of the protein. Also if you have very tangley hair I wouldnt recommend it because my hair is not tangely anymore ( its too thinned out from all the straightening:() the eggs are still a bit difficult to rinse out, so be patient. I add some cheapie Vo5 during rinsing to make it easier to get the egg out.....
It definitely has a more dramatic ,immediate effect then protein cons you buy....

I have been using eggs off and on for years. Mixing them with conditioners and oils work best for my hair.

I remember once way back in the day, when I first started out on my hair journey, I didn't rinse so well. It wasn't until afterwards when I blew my hair dry that I noticed fried eggs in my hair. :lachen:

Not a good look. So, make sure to rinse well ladies.

I do them also. I love them. I have dreadlocks and they work great for locs also. I tell my clients to use them.

I add an egg to whatever moisturizing conditioner I have on hand w/oils weekly and so far I have suffered no breakage(my hair seems really thick too).

Back