Eek, one of my worst hair braiding nightmares.

Harina

Stuff like this PISSES me off. This is not me but I came across the story while researching twists.

http://napturallycurly.com/forums/showthread.php/1328-Hating-my-quot-Senegalese-quot-twists

attachment.php

attachment.php

So i found a girl who said she could do my senegalese twist, and so I went out and bought some African 100% kanekalon hair which is what is used for senegalese. The girl starts doing my hair with it and she informs me she cant do it because the hair is too "fine" which confused me because everybody uses kanekalon.

So she advised me to go out and buy the marley hair So i went and spent another $40 on marley hair (for only 3 packs which is RIDICULOUS) also she made me buy gel lock (which she should've had in the first place). She didn't inform me that the hair was actually used for kinky twist (which i do not like and did not want) 9 hours into the braiding I realized i absolutely hated them, they looked like dreadlocks and they were too thick.

So she ran out of the marley hair and had to use the kanekalon, which is actually a HUGE texture difference. So now i have like 5 senegalese braids and 100 kinky twist. And the senegalese twists are unraveling and its only been an hour.

She kept having to stop to feed her newborn, and kept picking up her phone(she was very nice and sweet but it was just not cool) so I went ahead and paid in full which my friend advised me not to because she said "If she was a good braider then she would be able to do the twist the way you want with the hair you have, don't pay her in full". But i paid her anyways. Also 3 braids in the back she forgot to redo and she didnt dip them in hot enough water.

I paid her 150 for my hair and then another 50 in unnecessary braid hair. Im so upset with the results. So im stuck with them for the next couple of weeks.

I just did not have the heart to tell her i hated them especially after 9 hours maybe I am too nice Necey, But definitely next time, Ill go to somebody else, I had to work this mess into a high bun She even asked me "you dont plan on having these down do you?" Ugh that shouldve been my sign to ask her what heck she was doing to my head. The high bun im rocking does look cute but it was at my hands. Thats what i get for going to somebody's house instead of a studio. Ladies if its at the house you're gonna get "house qaulity" I cannot wear these outside unless it up. Ladies go to a professional and just pay the $200

Those do look really bad :ohwell:

Im getting my hair braided Friday; Im so worried about my edges and its like all these stories are popping up :lol:

Oh wow. That braider is wrong for that. No way in hayll would she have gotten paid. And $40 for 3 packs of marley???

Bad experience but they don't look bad. Just do some updos and half up and half down looks. Youtube is a good place to look for styles.

First of all, I don't allow anyone to do my hair by word of mouth alone. I need to see PICTURES of your work! Smh

Bad experience but they don't look bad. Just do some updos and half up and half down looks. Youtube is a good place to look for styles.

These don't look bad, they're terrible. Especially for $150. Now, had she said she let her little cousin practice on her head and gave her $60 maybe.

I wouldn't have paid her, and if I did pay, it certainly wouldn't have been in full. Why in the world did she let a whole nine hours go by without checking to see how her braids looked or felt :perplexed. The second the braider told her that the kanekalon was too fine she should have just left and found someone else to do her hair. :nono:

Last edited:
Oh wow. That braider is wrong for that. No way in hayll would she have gotten paid. And $40 for 3 packs of marley???

THIS!!! I've never paid over $5.00 a pack!

Wow, sorry you went through that. I wouldn't have paid her. I let my sister practice on my head doing twists for $50 and at least I can keep them in for up to a month and wear them out in public.

I would take those out and charge it to the game. :ohwell:

Last edited:
I know how it is...you try to help a sister out and save a few coins...smh I know this is not popular opinion but I leave the extension braiding to the African braid shops. Dont get me wrong I know some kitchen beauticians who are a beast and they only charge about $80-$100 no matter the size or style but I need someone to vouch before a new person can touch me hair...some times its better to take a day or two off if u can and park it in front of ur laptop for some YouTube tuts! That sucks it hpnd but ill try to salvage them...

this is infuriating. that work isnt worth 50 dollars and even then it would just be payment for wasting nine hours of both their lives.

You are not fooling around in my head for 9 straight hours without me knowing what's up shoot after a half hour I'd be "taking a bathroom break" or asking for a mirror.

It was time to go when the stylist complained about the kanekalon. I have some Marley Hair in right now and I paid $4.99 a pack. Homegirl got ripped all the way off.

Her hair looks like a first time attempt at a self install.

Nine hours??? Clearly this "stylist" didn't know what she was doing. I have very thick hair and have had micros installed in less than 5-6 hours. These twists aren't even that tiny and they look like something my 3 year old grandson would do. For those of you who say it "doesn't look that bad", would you pay $150 for twists that look like that? That braider needs her a$$ kicked because she didn't even have the decency to tell this young lady that she couldn't do it.

Those look terrible!
I don't like everyone's Senegelese twists and especially don't like the homemade looking ones. I took pics and showed my braider to give her an idea of what I wanted and she gave me just that and she was much quicker than I imagined.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I know how it is...you try to help a sister out and save a few coins...smh I know this is not popular opinion but I leave the extension braiding to the African braid shops. Dont get me wrong I know some kitchen beauticians who are a beast and they only charge about $80-$100 no matter the size or style but I need someone to vouch before a new person can touch me hair...some times its better to take a day or two off if u can and park it in front of ur laptop for some YouTube tuts! That sucks it hpnd but ill try to salvage them...

ITA: I only allow authentic African people to braid my hair with extensions. All the ones I've been to are truly gifted...each braid the exact same size, perfect parting, a nice uniform, tight braid all the way to the end and everything.

Also, I have fine, low density hair so they use diagonal parts that make it look very full just like naturally thick heads of hair but without weighing down my head.

Ive also gotten Senegalese twists several times and the results were just as good. Every African shop Ive been to has lots of pics of their work to browse through. If I see any red flags I know how to make my fast exit.

I did my own yarn braids a few times and they looked neater and more uniform than that. There's always next time though.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

This looks like how my twists come out when I don't take my time or use a comb or a mirror. But mine are free and only take a couple hours.

I can't believe those big *** braids took NINE HOURS.

She would have to pay ME for that nonsense. :nono:

I am dying, because they are inconsistent in size from root to tip. Gawd they are awful! It is shameful to think that someone charged for these!

Back