Eco Styler Is Toxic??

(Uff the video is 17:44 min long--Cliff notes, anybody?)

OK just watched the first 3 min because it's bedtime for me, but as soon as she said "scratched my neck" and then "my eyes started to water", my first thought was: allergic reaction or contact sensitization.

I'll be back tomorrow and check the video out (at 2x speed with subtitles because life's too short).

I hope whatever it is that she's denouncing is an isolated issue.
I *heart* EcoStyler

These are the ingredients for the popular olive oil one:

•Water (more than likely deionized for better product mixture
• Carbomer (a thickening agent that is a carbon chain with two carbons added, that’s used for emulsions and mixing insoluble solid into liquids. It’s toxicity level is extremely low topically speaking. I’m talking less than .25% in topical studies. (Here’s a study https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+7826
Done with solar heating, I believe, and a few other tests).
•Hydrolyzed wheat protein (we all know what that is on here)
•Glycerin (another good ingredient)
•Amino-2-Methyl-1-Propanol ( I may be wrong, but from what I’ve looked up this is also an organic compound that closely mimics the oral medication in Bronchodilators. Meaning consumption of it in regulated doses isn’t harmful. So topical use of it concerning cosmetic care is also harmless. ) The 2-amino-2-methyl version is used in industrial grade manufacturing and is actually toxic. But these are NOT the same chemical molecules. The former is harmless. It is water soluble and is used as a buffer in yielding another product for mixing formulas
• sodium Hydroxymethlyglycinate (an anti microbial. There are some folks who say it naturally releases formaldehyde. But again, they aren’t freaking putting in the effort to research. The ONLY way this naturally occurring inert salt that’s derived from Glycine (which is an amino acid found in our bodies), will cause that formaldehyde by-product, is if it is used in a 1% or 1 to 1 reaction amount. The cut off for manufacturers/distributors across the globe, under law, is 0.5%, and that’s if the ingredient is in the top 5 first ingredients. It gets less and less as you see it go down the ingredients list. It’s okay to use, in other words.
•Polysorbate 20 (This is derived from Lauric Acid, which is found in animal’s milk, and berries and fruits. It gives fragrance, it can be used as a mild surfactant as well as an emulsifier. It can cause skin irriatation much like naturally acidic fruits can.)
•Tetrasodium EDTA (mild ingredient. It’s actually what’s used to soften water. Considering it’s FDA approved, there’s a legal limit to how much can be used in products. I sadly can’t find the percentage cut off for cosmetic products. It’s not easily absorbed by the skin though. It is a naturally occurring/organic synthethized compound. Although it isn’t particularly biodegradable. Most notably a surfactant. The articles stating it’s a carcinogen are also misleading and misinterpreting data. EDTA and it’s forms, specifically the Tetra one, do not exhibit carcinogenic effects. They have cytotoxicity and genotoxity similarities, but that’s if digested, and digested in large amounts. I’m talking LARGE amounts of the pure substance.)
•Olive oil (no brainer )
•Fragrance. Typically something similar or derived from the Polysorbate ingredient.
• 19140 Yellow-5 dye (its edible. It’s in everything from cakes, cookies, cereal, pop tarts, gravies, creams, etc.)

Of the ingredients in the list, the Tetrasodium EDTA could’ve caused the lady in the video to have skin irritation due to the surfactant/drying effect, or the Polysorbate 20 to cause skin irritation due to the acidic nature. She more than likely just has sensitive skin. Which isn’t really a reason for her to cause such a stir up for other ladies who enjoy the product and have no ill side effects and are healthy. All these products go through manufacture regulation, and all of these ingredients go through testing, and are formulated with safe percentages of ingredients. If there is skin irritation, simply discontinue use or pay attention to how MUCH of the product you’re using. Too much or too frequent of anything can turn into an issue.

If these ingredients still put you off, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with not using the gel. While these ingredients present low risks for topical use, there’s nothing wrong with going more and more natural.

I’d say if you’re doing okay, you feel perfectly fine, your health is in good standing and has been regardless of how long you’ve been using ECOSTYLER, there’s no reason to stop what’s working for YOU, simply because folks are hypochondriacs these days.

Sorry if I came off a bit mean, but it helps for Youtubers to do legit research, instead of freaking out their viewers.

Last edited:
I also moved away from that gel and others with Trietholomine (sp?), that ingredient seems to be popping up in popular cheap gels.
This just encourages me to stick to black (women) owned products and making my own. I'm going to make a aloe, flaxseed, slippery elm combination this weekend.

It is toxic, which is why i stopped using it. On the hunt for a replacement. If anyone has suggestions, i'm all years.

I've been trying out Deva Curl's Ultra Defining Gel. My reason for loving Ecostyler was that I could get 5-7 days out of a twistout with it. The Ultra Defining Gel gave me soft, defined curls until wash day this past week so it's my replacement for now.

Ingredients: Water (Aqua, Eau), VP/VA Copolymer, Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disodium EDTA, Polysorbate-20, Phenoxyethanol, Polyquaternium-7, Aminomethyl Propanol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Fragrance (Parfum).

I've been trying out Deva Curl's Ultra Defining Gel. My reason for loving Ecostyler was that I could get 5-7 days out of a twistout with it. The Ultra Defining Gel gave me soft, defined curls until wash day this past week so it's my replacement for now.

Ingredients: Water (Aqua, Eau), VP/VA Copolymer, Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disodium EDTA, Polysorbate-20, Phenoxyethanol, Polyquaternium-7, Aminomethyl Propanol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Fragrance (Parfum).
Thanks for this! I'm trying to avoid Disodium EDTA. I might go back to flax seed gel.

Thanks for this! I'm trying to avoid Disodium EDTA. I might go back to flax seed gel.

Have you tried The Mane Choice's 24 Karat Glistening Twisting Gel? I like it, but I don't get as much hold for as many days as the others.

Ingredients:
Aqua (Purified Water), Biotin, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Persea Fratissima (Avocado) Oil, Polyacrylate-2 Crosspolymer Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Beta Carotene, Oleic Acid (Omega 9), Omega 3/6 (Camelina Sativa Seed Oil), Citrullus Lanatus (Kalahari Watermelon) Seed Oil, Ricinodendron Rautanenii (Maketti Oil), Adansonia Digitata (Baobab) Seed Oil, Mongongo (Schinzlophyton Rautanenii Kernel) Oil, Gold, Olea Europaea (Olive Oleaster) Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Annatto (Rolucou) Extract, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Aminomethyl Propanol (Water Soluble), Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend)

Have you tried The Mane Choice's 24 Karat Glistening Twisting Gel? I like it, but I don't get as much hold for as many days as the others.

Ingredients:
Aqua (Purified Water), Biotin, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Persea Fratissima (Avocado) Oil, Polyacrylate-2 Crosspolymer Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Beta Carotene, Oleic Acid (Omega 9), Omega 3/6 (Camelina Sativa Seed Oil), Citrullus Lanatus (Kalahari Watermelon) Seed Oil, Ricinodendron Rautanenii (Maketti Oil), Adansonia Digitata (Baobab) Seed Oil, Mongongo (Schinzlophyton Rautanenii Kernel) Oil, Gold, Olea Europaea (Olive Oleaster) Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Annatto (Rolucou) Extract, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Aminomethyl Propanol (Water Soluble), Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend)
This looks good. My only concern is this: Aminomethyl Propanol because when combined with certain ingredients (think product layering) it can create dangerous compounds. Dammit, why is it so hard to find gels that are basic and not potentially harmful?

Last edited:
I use the argan oil gel when I pull my hair back with no issues. I’ll finish it and move to another product.

I wonder if any of the ingredients in Eco Style gel are banned in Europe, and if so, why. I'll try to remember to check.

I've been using Bronner Brother's Firm Hold Curling Gel. It "snows" when the cast is first broken, and it is not moisturizing, but otherwise, I love it.

Ingredients:
Water, Sucrose, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Chlorphenesin, Aloe (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Pectin, Citric Acid and Fragrance.

I hope those ingredients are okay.

Has anyone tried the CurlMix premade flaxseed gels? A little pricey IMO, but perhaps worth it if they perform well. One day sooner or later I might try the sample set (hopefully I can still get the 15% off for submitting my email to CurlMix).

Earth Tones naturals has a light and regular gelly, the ingredients of which seem okay. The U.S. version of her brand is Cury Dew.

Another gel that might work for some folks: Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker.

I still don't really get it. I hasn't done me any harm, that I know of. I made another batch of flaxseed gel that I'll try out this week. I'll probably use up what's left of my ecostyler and then decide if I need to find something else. I'll do some more research. Sometimes YT is overly dramatic and I just can't tell.

I hope this is not another "my hair hates coconut oil" trend. It seems that whenever a popular youtuber says something, the rest in youtube starts adapting similar opinions out of the sudden.

I liked Jaelah Majette's responce. She said if I eat MCs and taco bell, use body washes and moisturizers that have those chemicals as well, why quit eco styler? She makes a point that if we quit one product because it has harmful "chemicals", then we should commit to doing the same to other things we use as well, especially if it's something you actually eat. JS.

Last edited:
I hope this is not another "my hair hates coconut oil" trend. It seems that whenever a popular youtuber says something, the rest in youtube starts adapting similar opinions out of the sudden.

I liked Jaelah Majette's responce. She said if I eat MCs and taco bell, use body washes and moisturizers that have those chemicals as well, why quit eco styler? She makes a point that if we quit one product because it has harmful "chemicals", then we should commit to doing the same to other things we use as well, especially if it's something you actually eat. JS.

I thought this vid was super funny

I totally understand wanting to use more natural products and I can’t knock someone for being proactive about stuff like this. For me though, I will continue to use the gel, unless I find something that can tick all of the boxes that eco does for me, if not more.

I thought this vid was super funny

I totally understand wanting to use more natural products and I can’t knock someone for being proactive about stuff like this. For me though, I will continue to use the gel, unless I find something that can tick all of the boxes that eco does for me, if not more.

hahah Her response had me rolling:rofl: I def respect the ability to be conscious about the things we expose our bodies too. It's just that eliminating one product is not how to go about it.

That’s an excellent point.

Half of the products I own. I can already name by heart what 1-5 of those ingredients are going to be on the back, just because I went ahead and learned the manufacturing game on the brand names I typically see on the shelf. If it’s a name brand, label included, and you picked it up off of the shelf, as the lady in the video made clear, you will INDEED get exactly what you pay for.

And there’s really no shame in it. I would love to seek out more and more handmade natural ingredients. From MuruMuru Butter, mango, castor, Shea butter, natural oils, fruit masks, natural gels, honey, avocado, etc. All those delicious handcrafted goodies that folks put in hard work to make. I’d love to buy it all.

BUT.....when it comes down to it, and I have 4-6 classes to push through back to back within the week, my light bill, rent, cable, and utilities are due, my dogs and cats need attending to, I need to make sure the fridge is stocked, both of my car and my husbands car needs it’s weekly tank fill up with gas, and have money on spare in case something is needed in an emergency? Mmmm no. Give me that 2-5$ conditioner and whatever 1-3$ leave in. I’ll be fine.

I think that’s another reason to mention. Some people have other things they need to spend their money on. And if things like ECO styler gel don’t break their bank, more power to them.

For myself I stopped using Eco styler gel over 5 years ago while I was transitioning to natural . I used the olive oil one and it dried my hair out something awful. My edges for my ponytails became see through. I tossed it out and never looked back, I have been tempted to try it again when the new brands come out, I refuse to use that gel ever again.

I never thought of it being toxic, just a product that did not work for my hair.

Xenoestrogens and other endocrine disruptors are in so many products.

When I saw the video title I figured she'd mentioned the AlopeciaFreeWithJass video. I remember when @*Frisky* made a thread about that video.

I've been making my own flaxseed & marshmallow root gel. I like the ingredients in a couple of the AfroVeda gels and Jakeala Flaxseed Gel, but my twist outs look better with DIY flaxseed gel.

She sounded kind of ignorant and apathetic, imo. She's just like well, it's everywhere, so I'll drink water and hope for the best? Huh? Her admitting that she's loading her body with so much stuff and then shrugging it off and saying it requires a lifestyle change and it's not convenient? I think people forget that these kinds of things are cumulative and that we won't stay young forever. You don't necessarily face the consequences at 25, but at 45 and up? I think she would have been more honest in saying that ecostyler makes her hair look good as hell and she's too lazy to look for a replacement and she's willing to risk it. All the pussyfooting is annoying.

I hope this “no eco styler gel” movement really opens the eyes of most black women everywhere, so they can see just how much we, black women, drive the hair product market. What we say goes! & the eco styler company will adjust its products accordingly. We really gave that product the “come up”.

Xenoestrogens and other endocrine disruptors are in so many products.

When I saw the video title I figured she'd mentioned the AlopeciaFreeWithJass video. I remember when @*Frisky* made a thread about that video.

I've been making my own flaxseed & marshmallow root gel. I like the ingredients in a couple of the AfroVeda gels and Jakeala Flaxseed Gel, but my twist outs look better with DIY flaxseed gel.

I am kinda shocked that this is getting as much attention as it's getting cause this has been a known fact for awhile. I guess it takes someone with over a half million subscribers to mention it for it to be credible.

Back